GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
86 Posts
You may care if following a string of vehicles traveling below the speed limit on a two-lane road and you pull out to pass only to be met by oncoming traffic because your bike was restricted in its abilities. Been there. Not fun. No disrespect intended to you. You may be comfortable and content traveling 40 in a 60 zone following this group. Me, I'd like the ability to get around them without fear the bike was going to stop accelerating just when I needed it. No, I don't feel the need to run 120 down the interstate. I do feel the need to have the bike perform when I need it to. Just my opinion. YMMV
If you have to go into the triple digits to pass someone, you're doing it wrong and likely already breaking the law.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 21 Tour. Not interested in mods that effect emissions, but I would like to be able to use all of the features of the dash while in motion.
Seriously. Why must we have to come to a stop to get to the Home Screen??!!
Maybe Guhl would do this type of flash if enough of us did a group buy.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
You're late to the party...by about a year. Guhl used to do the flash that removed the speed limiter and did a few other things on the 2018+. The EPA forced him to stop. There are a few on here with the Guhl flash.

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
2,118 Posts
Umm, I guess you missed the drift... I said why can't someone do mods for those items NOT emissions related, like speed limiter and fogs off with HB's. Meaning MODIFY or REMOVE those non-emissions related programming.

I hope this helps.
Fog lights go off with highs by law; you cannot have more that four forward lights/light assemblies lit at any time. If you have your lows and highs - fog lights must turn off.

It's a legal requirement of the FMVSS.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
2,118 Posts
I just bought a 21 Tour. Not interested in mods that effect emissions, but I would like to be able to use all of the features of the dash while in motion.
Seriously. Why must we have to come to a stop to get to the Home Screen??!!
You should be able to get to the home screen with your controller, at speed? Just press the home button?

It's been a while for me (I'm an Android Auto guy) but it works well. Might need to use the left handlebar cluster to make it work, as most of the central controls are disabled when moving (keep your hands on the handlebars).

·
Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
326 Posts
Fog lights go off with highs by law; you cannot have more that four forward lights/light assemblies lit at any time. If you have your lows and highs - fog lights must turn off.

It's a legal requirement of the FMVSS.
Umm, I'm not following - Even if you count the Low Beam cluster, and the High Beam cluster separately, adding the TWO Fog lights, that equals FOUR.

And incidentally, have you looked at some of the newer Ford Truck headlights? Last night I counted 6 individual lights running including the Fogs.

·
Registered
17,670 Posts
The SCOTUS decision RE: WV vs EPA may well have the EPA other over-reaching gubmint agencies pulling back. I had the GUHL programming and it does well. I am not sure how fast it will go, but faster and smoother than before.

prs

·
Registered
972 Posts
Umm, I'm not following - Even if you count the Low Beam cluster, and the High Beam cluster separately, adding the TWO Fog lights, that equals FOUR.

And incidentally, have you looked at some of the newer Ford Truck headlights? Last night I counted 6 individual lights running including the Fogs.

On low beam there are two lights. One on each side. When you hit the high beam it adds two more, one on each side.

If the fog lights stay on that adds two more for six. Which is two more than the law allows.

As for the Ford truck, our bikes are similar. If you look there are four bulbs per side for each low beam. Not sure how that lines up with the law, I would assume it is because they are a cluster.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I don't bump the speed limiter any more 😎

Reactions: jryan19

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
931 Posts
Our limiter isn't a problem for me. Glad it wasn't set lower however. I recall back in 2013 when Yammie set the cruise control limit to something like 82 on the FJR. Glad Honda didn't do this. It made a lot of owners upset and for good reason. Thankfully, they rectified that in later models. But I have no issues with a 112 speed limiter. I'll never go that fast anyway.

Thorsome's post (#23) got me to thinking: wish we didn't have to deal with the warning message that we can't do so and so while the vehicle is in motion. Once the Honda displays this notice, all screen functions are locked out and I have to stare at the warning until I come to a stop again. Frustrating.

·
Administrator
4,953 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
326 Posts
On low beam there are two lights. One on each side. When you hit the high beam it adds two more, one on each side.

If the fog lights stay on that adds two more for six. Which is two more than the law allows.

As for the Ford truck, our bikes are similar. If you look there are four bulbs per side for each low beam. Not sure how that lines up with the law, I would assume it is because they are a cluster.
I'm not sure that I would agree. The low beams and highbeams are so close to together that from any distance they merge. Certainly closer than the quad Ford low beams, which are blinding as hell, but some how is considered compliant with their clearly 6 forward concurrently running lights.

Furthermore, when the Highbeams are engaged, they are essentially one with the Lowbeams above, within the same housing, with only a tiny silver strip separating that is impossible to distinguish as distinct from any distance.

I'm not sure what your point is, but how is leaving the Fogs on with the Highbeams that you would run with no other cars in proximity any worse than folks running the Denali auxiliaries? Or again, the Fords? If you don't want the capability, then opt out. Obviously it might not be for everyone, same with the speed limiter, but that's not the point of the discussion.

·
Vendor
22,992 Posts
FYI, fog lights are controlled by the front control unit, Warning messages are controlled by the Navigation/Audio unit, and speed functions are controlled by the ECM. You can't reflash the ECM to fix fog lights to stay on or change warning messages.

Normally, I don't really care about the speed limiter until I get out into west Texas or Oklahoma and have to pass a couple smelly cattle trucks going 75mph. That is when I'll bump up against the limiter. Folks who ride in Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Nevada will have a better understanding of the issue. If you live anywhere east of the Mississippi, you probably don't care about it.

No one else is reflashing Gold Wing ECMs because no one CAN. The ECM in the Wing is extremely difficult to crack into and reprogram, and it took nearly 2 years to do so at an enormous cost in both manpower and equipment. The one person who was successful walked away from it because of the EPA. I highly doubt anyone else it going to be able to crack it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Once the Honda displays this notice, all screen functions are locked out and I have to stare at the warning until I come to a stop again. Frustrating.
When that happens hit the "command phone" button. Top left on the handle bar control. After that you can use the back button to get to the Home menu.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts