GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
If going over 112 often is necessary, and a reflash is currently out of question, you could consider putting on a speed healer device and setting it to -50% correction. Then you would have to remember, constantly, that the speed indicated on your dash is exactly HALF of the mph you are actually going. That way, your top speed would be 224mph actual while only indicating 112mph.

·
Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
326 Posts
If going over 112 often is necessary, and a reflash is currently out of question, you could consider putting on a speed healer device and setting it to -50% correction. Then you would have to remember, constantly, that the speed indicated on your dash is exactly HALF of the mph you are actually going. That way, your top speed would be 224mph actual while only indicating 112mph.
There would be a few other issues going this route - The odometer will be halved, and the cruise in the case of my 6sp Tour would not engage below an actual 60 mph as well. Not sure this option is viable.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
2,118 Posts
Umm, I'm not following - Even if you count the Low Beam cluster, and the High Beam cluster separately, adding the TWO Fog lights, that equals FOUR.

And incidentally, have you looked at some of the newer Ford Truck headlights? Last night I counted 6 individual lights running including the Fogs.
No, the high beam (L/R) are two. The low beam (L/R) are two. That's four.

That's the limit. Same as on a car.

For the new trucks, make sure they're not in running-light mode. That's lit, but at a much lower nominal output (where its output is limited, to typically no more than a corner/indicator light). You can have as many running lights as you want - but only 4 forward projecting illumination lights.

Here's the code that sets the requirements: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2004-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2004-title49-vol5-sec571-108.xml

And I assure you Ford is NOT violating it.

Fog lights on with lows and highs is illegal. If your low beams turned off, then fog/driving lights can be on. But it's either/or; Honda keeps the low beams on all the time, so when the highs come on the fog/driving lights must turn off.

• Helpful
Reactions: AussieChris

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Last time I went over 90, blue lights appeared in my mirrors. The trooper was more interested on how I got my Harley to go that fast.
Downhill and tail wind is a blessing!

• Haha
Reactions: AussieChris

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I'm not sure what your point is, but how is leaving the Fogs on with the Highbeams that you would run with no other cars in proximity any worse than folks running the Denali auxiliaries?
Those are actually illegal to run. In many States (where inspections happen) you can have your renewal denied unless you prove you cannot operate them at the same time as the lows/highs. There are also laws about how high lights can be, how they have to be aimed, etc.

All kinds of things that Johnny Law can use to pile on a ticket - legally and 100% correct - if he doesn't like you.

Am I making a judgment about whether or not to do it? My EC visibility lights are hard-wired to be on all the time. I don't care. But I understand why manufacturers do what they do, because it's the law. Four forward lights. Two highs, two lows? Then fog/driving light must turn off.

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
629 Posts
I thought I was crazy doing 100 here and there, some are looking to take off? mmmmmm......Please share when you do :D :D :D. When I look at my baby, I see a GW, not a 1000RR. But, who am I?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Those are actually illegal to run. In many States (where inspections happen) you can have your renewal denied unless you prove you cannot operate them at the same time as the lows/highs. There are also laws about how high lights can be, how they have to be aimed, etc.

All kinds of things that Johnny Law can use to pile on a ticket - legally and 100% correct - if he doesn't like you.

Am I making a judgment about whether or not to do it? My EC visibility lights are hard-wired to be on all the time. I don't care. But I understand why manufacturers do what they do, because it's the law. Four forward lights. Two highs, two lows? Then fog/driving light must turn off.
I don't care whether it's legal or not either. I would like my Fogs to stay on, period. Consider it Running Light Mode, if it helps. That doesn't mean I'm expecting Honda to do anything about it. Hopefully EC picks this back up for 2021+ bikes. If you think the Ford Trucks are compliant, look up the recall. Problem is nobody is getting them fixed for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Over 112 MPH on a trike........NOT
Over 112 MPH on a motorcycle.......never was a necessity or a desire, even in my 20's.

I guess each person has a motorcycle for different reasons.......mine has never ever been top end speed.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I don't care whether it's legal or not either. I would like my Fogs to stay on, period. Consider it Running Light Mode, if it helps. That doesn't mean I'm expecting Honda to do anything about it. Hopefully EC picks this back up for 2021+ bikes.
The EC harness doesn't work on 21+ GLs?

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,673 Posts
After following many debates on face book I am really curious how many of us really wished we could go faster than 112mph?
I never want to go that fast, but I never want anyone telling me I can't.

·
Vendor
22,992 Posts
This won't work. The bike has wheel speed sensors on each wheel and the ECM knows the RPM and gear you are in, and if any of them are off by more than about 12% it will cause problems with the traction control, ABS, and will trigger an FI light.

HealTech makes a correction device to allow you to get a little more top end out of the bike, but I think it only adds about 10mph or so. At this point, I think this is about the best option out there.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
After following many debates on face book I am really curious how many of us really wished we could go faster than 112mph?
I have an '18 DCT. I believe the fastest I've gone so far is maybe 95 MPH. Right around there. Although I don't see me ever going over 100 MPH, ( but, who knows ? ) I don't like the idea of a limiter.

·
Registered
2019 Red/Black Tour DCT airbag
926 Posts
This won't work. The bike has wheel speed sensors on each wheel and the ECM knows the RPM and gear you are in, and if any of them are off by more than about 12% it will cause problems with the traction control, ABS, and will trigger an FI light.

HealTech makes a correction device to allow you to get a little more top end out of the bike, but I think it only adds about 10mph or so. At this point, I think this is about the best option out there.
Correct. The Speedohealer can be set to anything you like but anything over about 15% will trigger an FI/MIL (engine check) light. I've set mine mine to 14.3% as recommended by Healtech and can confirm that it works ok at that. Moves the limiter from 180 to about 205kph (127mph). The bike will certainly do that speed (I've done it on a number of occasions, confirmed on GPS) but I'm guessing probably not much more on flat ground.

Sadly, I've since removed my Speedohealer because it causes issues with the DCT.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I don't care whether it's legal or not either. I would like my Fogs to stay on, period. Consider it Running Light Mode, if it helps. That doesn't mean I'm expecting Honda to do anything about it. Hopefully EC picks this back up for 2021+ bikes. If you think the Ford Trucks are compliant, look up the recall. Problem is nobody is getting them fixed for obvious reasons.
You can wire them however you want. I did. But you're NOT going to get someone to "break" the CANBUS to enable an illegal operation.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,673 Posts
You can wire them however you want. I did. But you're NOT going to get someone to "break" the CANBUS to enable an illegal operation.
That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't do it, but separately wiring the fogs to the battery with an in-line fuse and simple SPST switch would be a simple task.

Reactions: ShanghaiDan
41 - 60 of 63 Posts