GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my speed odometer has been dropping out at the start of the ride. Sometimes it will regestor for a min or two then drop. After about 6 - 10 miles it comes back to life. Because the cruse control is tied into the speedo it doesn't work when the speedo drops out. This could prove to be a real problem on longer rides on slabs. (have 109,500 miles on the 2003, so many long trips happen on this bike) Any idea as to the cause or solution?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,279 Posts
Murgie may be right. If you have a speedo correction device, it could be going bad or have a bad connection in the harness connectors for it as well.

·
Registered
16,903 Posts
Murgie, TD, and Waldo; you guys are GREAT. Right to the point and almost certainly on target. If TD's hunch that a correction device may be involved, the culprit may be in how the excess wiring of such tends to get pinched behind the clip that supports the reverse cables above and behind the rear master cylinder. Check for worn or breached insulation there. If you have had the top shelter off or the front cowl off recently, check the connector where the grey line enters the large boot under the right upper vent tube. Keep us posted.

prs

PS: Waldo's notice of the high price is appreciated. I do not know, but this may be one of those parts that cross references with a Honda automobile. Your auto parts dealer may be able to ferret that out for you. When such is the case the price is typically only a fraction of the motorcycle price list.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
PS: Waldo's notice of the high price is appreciated. I do not know, but this may be one of those parts that cross references with a Honda automobile. Your auto parts dealer may be able to ferret that out for you. When such is the case the price is typically only a fraction of the motorcycle price list.
Not sure that can be done because it is a field effect sensor that trips off of fourth gear. Would be odd that a car would have the same gear ratio and# of teeth on 4th plus a wheel and tire size (oops, don't wanna get that started!) but hey, all I know is what I found on the internet including several of those sites that just send you to an infinite loop so their clicks register for Google adsense. Of course Honda's own speedo healer unit would probably compensate. Honda is famous for using off the shelf parts to be sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts