GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay....I know this is probably well known by now, but I have been slow to the speedbleeder game. I knew about them, just never sprung for them.

I bought some for the ole wing and installed them yesterday ....and just to try them out, bled the clutch.

Why the heck did I not buy these yrs ago?

LIke I said, I am slow to the game.

So yeah, thumbs up on speedbleeders.

Thats really all I wanted to say. CArry on

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I'm still slow to get to the party ..and I'm a fluid changeohlic.. I'm still ole school and need to get caught up.............fast!

Heck my wife just threw out all my tied dyed T shirts and bell bottom pants...:eek::eek: last week...............................

Ronnie

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha..thats funny. Nothing wrong with doing
I'm still slow to get to the party ..and I'm a fluid changeohlic.. I'm still ole school and need to get caught up.............fast!

Heck my wife just threw out all my tied dyed T shirts and bell bottom pants...:eek::eek: last week...............................

Ronnie
Haha..thats funny. Nothing wrong with doing it old school for it still gets the job done. These just make it much easier. One man gig and quite easy to do. LIke I said in the original post. I bled the clutch (just because I had put the new bleeder on so I thought I would get it done since I had it exposed)...and I think it literally took a minute....maybe a minute and a half.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I just got around to installing speedbleeders on my trike today and I agree that it will make changing the brake fluid an easier task now. I just bought them direct because the Speed bleeder company is somewhat local to me. I had bled my front brake reservoir and lines last year but hadnt got around doing the rear ones. Since it is a trike, I have 8 bleeders in the rear calipers instead of 2. The rear reservoir and system had last been done in Aug of 2016 when my conversion was done. I thought the worst but it wasnt quite as bad as I expected. I did get some darker fluid coming out and now have all fresh fluid in it. Since I was changing out the bleeders for rear brake system, I did the front brake system as well. That was a bit messier and more brake fluid came out than with any of the rear system. I flushed and bled that as well. It was a bit dark but really not too bad. I have 1 more speed bleeder for the clutch but will do that sometime later. So far very happy with the switch...

·
Registered
879 Posts
Im also slow at the speed bleeder game as I still don’t have any. Changed the brake fluids last summer and the clutch fluid last week. I can definitely see the benefits of speed bleeders. I see a two pack at the auto store for $17cdn. Will be getting some in the future. My question is: when installing them for the first time will air get in the system or will fluid come pouring out?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
It's possible you'll get a little bit of both.
Install the bleeders only when you are going to flush and bleed the lines.
That way, in the unlikely event some air gets in, you will immediately force it back out.
When I installed my speedbleeders, a drop or two of brake fluid dripped out of each nipple.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just did it on 2 bikes...minimal loss of fluid
I would expect some air to get in....so saying that, I should prob go through and bleed the lines

·
Registered
674 Posts
It's hard to ...NOT ...test out a new toy. At least, for me (thats true).

·
Registered
966 Posts
Im also slow at the speed bleeder game as I still don’t have any. Changed the brake fluids last summer and the clutch fluid last week. I can definitely see the benefits of speed bleeders. I see a two pack at the auto store for $17cdn. Will be getting some in the future. My question is: when installing them for the first time will air get in the system or will fluid come pouring out?
My setup is a little different being a trike. I had 8 bleeders to change out in the rear instead of the normal caliper for bikes. When I did the rear system which also includes 1 bleeder on each front caliper, I really didnt get any fluid leaking out. However when I did the front system which is the other bleeder on each front caliper, I did get some drips. The worst one was the right front upper bleeder as there is less room getting it off so it took a couple seconds longer. Overall though, it went pretty smooth on the change out and subsequent bleed. My only complaint is that when doing it yourself, it's a little harder watching to see when clear fresh fluid starts flowing on any of the left side bleeders. I probably used a little more brake fluid than I really needed. I'm glad I had one of the large quart bottles as it was just enough and a little left over.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
My cat has never meowed at my speed bleeders..... More like giving angry meows for being carried into the garage and put in a cage for a vet visit. But she does meow less being on the back seat of the 2010 Wing instead of in the car. The cage will not fit on the back seat of the 2018 without being a pain in my back.

I have speed bleeders in my 2010 & 2018, it is much easier than the acrobatics and bungee creativity to do a proper job solo. I did not put any (well, one) on my M50. No need there, you can reach the bleeder and the lever and still have another foot or two of reach on the only hydraulic line on the entire bike. I would like them on my Trailblazer, but finding the correct size for it takes more digging than what I have felt like doing. A discovery of being the wrong size basically disables the car until I get the correct size without finding help. Much easier seeing a post here where someone posts "...these are the ones...."....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts