GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another board on which I can no longer post because my membership in that organization expired, I read a thread devoted to speeding cops. A number of posters seemed fairly irate at seeing the police apparently speeding because they were seen going above the speed limit without using their emergency equipment. In fact, aside from a few supporters, the only ones responding who defended this were cops or ex-cops.

As a retired police officer and currently a part time deputy, I have to say that there are times when an officer needs to proceed quicly to a situation without using the red lights and siren so as to avoid alerting the "bad guys" he's enroute. Too many people, being ignorant of the facts, get angry and demand that the cop be disciplined for violating the law. Perhaps a simple, polite call inquiring as to why a police officer was apparently speeding would more appropriate. Too many people want to police the police without knowing what's going on.

I will admit that there are some cops who abuse their position of authority to try and get away with bending the laws. Meeting someone for lunch is no reason to speed. Hurrying to the scene of a burglary in progress would be, however. I don't defend cops who are blatant abusers of the law, just because they're cops. On the other hand, those who but have never walked in our shoes should not rush to judge. We get paid too little to do too much with too often too great a sacrifice to be second guessed by those not in the know. People who become police officers do so out of a sense of duty, as a way to contribute to their communities, to try and make a difference and to protect the citizens. It's not for everybody, and some folks should not be cops, and some who are not, should be.

Now that I've opened the furnace door, I would solicit comment on this subject, knowing that many on this board have been the victims of those ubiquitous red lights flashing behind them and receiving that coveted "high speed driving achievement award" issued by the nice man in the blue uniform. I suppose that when ticketed, we are only getting what we have gotten away with on other occasions. And, oh yes, those who would limit the cops to no more than the speed limit, would be the first to insist that when they need the police themselves, they should have been there yesterday, or at the least, right now.

No donut and coffee comments, please. That's just cliche. Thanks. The forum is open. :D

·
Registered
19,442 Posts
I live in Houston. I am against Cops speeding with at least their lights on. An innocent driver/rider might be switching lanes and get smashed from behind. Granted I will give you the sirens may signal the bad guys, but lights-come on. :cop2:

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
As a former LEO I can tell you that it is an everyday occurance; that it is deemed better to hurry to a scene without lights and siren for a variety of reasons. With that being said, if there is any accident, the Police Officer is wrong with out a doubt. That is a risk that is consciously decided at the time to be worth it. And yes sometimes even the lights give off your presence to the "bad-guys".

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
My question is speeding by how much. This is my position and feeling on this .

OK, first, I don't agree with a LEO going lets say like 80-90+ mph when traffic is going 60-65. Unless they are like going to a scene. Gotta remember that alot of times, LEO riding with lights and sirens will slow them down because A LOT of idiots are driving on our roads and don't know what to do when one comes up behind them and ends up just blocking the LEO. So if the traffic is light and the situation is right, sure go ahead and speed to get to an incident.

Second, I do feel that an LEO should go on average 5-10mph faster than the flow of traffic. I do not feel that a LEO can properly do thier job if they are stuck within the same group of cars for 30 miles. But if they can go slightly faster than the flow of traffic then they can survey a lot more people and make sure everyone is doing good. This give them a better chance at catching that drunk driver, wanted stolen vehicle, wanted person, ect... easier. Again, this does introduce a problem. Some folks feel that if a LEO is speeding that they are allowed to do so as well so they will trail the LEO going the same speed as them. That is not safe. We, the civilian public generally speaking, do not have the training and skill like the LEO does. So I feel that they should drive faster than us, and are also safer when doing so.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
I am sure Arizona and the cities here have rules on speed for the LEOs.

I see DPS on the freeways speeding , cutting lanes, running up the emergency lanes at high speeds....... they have the lights on the "rear" of the car operating , not front. I guess that meets the rules or IS the rules.

The DPS motors officers cut lanes , split lanes with their rear lights operating. I moved around a pot hole last week while driving the cage and did not see the cycle officer splitting lanes till nearly too late.

I often call companies to report bad driving when the vehicle has a name / number on it ...... or one of the "report driving " bumper stickers on it.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Thank God for police officers. They are willing to die protecting my family and my community, and when one of them is killed doing it, the nation should have a heavy heart.

This holds true to so many other occupations as well.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
While I prolly will get flamed for stating my thoughts on what you wrote..

when you applied for the job as a police officer..you knew full well what the pay was going to be.. so that ole saying about getting paid too little does not set well with me.. if you want to make more... choose another profession..

as far as the speeding cops.. i see it all the time.. i go to bike night EVERY wednesday night... 55 miles from my home to New Orleans.. i see
cars with the windows blacked out with 5 or 6 antennas on them so I am pretty sure its a cop.. they pass me like i was nailed to the wall.. why do they think its ok for them to speed ? but if a "regular citizen" speeds they are breaking the law... not only do I notice this common occurance.. lots of others do also.. even the local paper had something written in it ...
it seems some cops think they are "special people" .. take for instance
on the north shore of New Orleans on the Causeway bridge its a toll bridge.. it seems the Mandeville police station "procured" free passes
to every cop working in that office... WHY may I ask ? it was brought to the attention of channel 8 TV station.. the cheif of police resigned because of the scandel..
ok ... flame suit on and braced...

cosmic

G

·
First let me say, I support Law Enforcement

OK, now to the subject at hand. I think there are times when a LEO needs to speed, with or without lights, reacting to the NEED.. But for the record, we have a local DPS officer, who has passed me countless times, well in excess of the speed limit, without lights or siren. Then as I'm on my way home, I pass his car in HIS driveway, and he's in uniform, feeding his horses out back of his house. I was passed by this same officer, doing in excess of 90 minimum, only to watch him pull into a local restaurant and join 3 other Law Enforcement vehicles in the parking lot and get out and go in for LUNCH> Now that is and always will be ABUSE of POWER>>>

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Don't have a problem with LEOs speeding as long as they are not driving recklessly - and there is a difference.

For those of you who have observed abuse of power - REPORT IT. You are not powerless.

For those of you who think LEOs should buck up about low wages and high risk - get a grip. For the risk motor officers take they are under paid. Don't care what they knew to begin with, they are under paid. No, they should not "take" anything to compensate for being under paid. Yes, we owe them a little slack for being first on scene and risking their lives FOR ours every shift.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
yellowtrike said:
For those of you who have observed abuse of power - REPORT IT. You are not powerless.
The problem is that unless you have 3 or more witnesses or video tape, your claim is dismissed without any action being taken. So why bother wasting your time?

G

·
Well, I guess you're gonna get alot of different opinions here. I know people that think new cops are pompus a$$holes that take advantage of their badges every time they can, mid-career cops start their "could care less" period about the public and seasoned one's consider regular people as scum and have no non-LEO friends.
I also know people who think LEO's are semi-gods who can do anything and should be called for neighbors to be arrested for not raking the lawn soon enough.

Personally, I think their humans who have to make decisions when they come up, and the book doesn't cover everything. They do what they and their experience tell them to do.
I. for one, have not walked the mile in their shoes, and choose to trust them to do what is best.
May not always happen, but my dollar says they bat better than I would.

Pat

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
As stated numerous times above, there may be a reason an officer is exceeding the speed limit without emergency lights and/or siren. We tend to want to place all officers in the same barrel when we know there are those who will abuse their power because they can. That being said, and having been in the position of having to respond to an emergency situation, but not being allowed by dispatch to proceed Code 3 (actualy was told to proceed at "Code 2 1/2"), I understand the issue. Most (not all) police officers are well trained in high speed maneuvers and know how to handle their vehicles in these situations.

Personally, I would prefer to have an officer exceed the speed limit on responding to a call if a burglary was in progress at my home, than to have them dawdle along behind some idiot being righteous because (and only because) of an officer's presence. JMHO.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
977 Posts
I will echo the comments from yellowtrik. The police are paid entirely too little for the job we ask them to do. And with all the PC liberals in the world, we make the police tie one hand behind their backs when fighting the bad guys. Can you say OJ impson

Some speeding is certainly ok, just not getting reckless. I have found a few times that when stopped for going slightly over the speed limit, the officer to be very professional and gave me the same courtesy I mention here.

FYI, I am not a policeman but I respect the job that they do. I respect most that I have met, some I don't like at all. But I can say the same thing about folks in my family.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Not to Highjack to bad here but this country is so weird as far as pay goes. In general it seems the folks that really truly deserve high pay get crap, and the ones sitting behind a desk making some decisions that a monkey could make get ton's of dough.

For example, I don't get why the average salery for a McDonald's manager which is $45,000 bucks a year gets paid more than the EMS Pilot in the Maryland State Police Aviation Unit, which starts at $42,000 a year. Doesn't make sense.

G

·
FUSE said:
Not to Highjack to bad here but this country is so weird as far as pay goes. In general it seems the folks that really truly deserve high pay get crap, and the ones sitting behind a desk making some decisions that a monkey could make get ton's of dough.

For example, I don't get why the average salery for a McDonald's manager which is $45,000 bucks a year gets paid more than the EMS Pilot in the Maryland State Police Aviation Unit, which starts at $42,000 a year. Doesn't make sense.
Something to do with money brought in, like professnal athletes and actors. (I know ya already know this). I just don't know how to square it up. Should cops make more? Of course, but where does the money come from? If they generate via tickets they get jumped on. If they request it via votes they too often get shot down.
Maybe a minimun hazards pay should be considered?

Pat

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I agree, I love it when they pass me and keep on going. Then I know they aren't after me. Besides, I then get to enjoy the adrenaline rush for the next mile or so <G>!

wingit84 said:
For me, I rather have him pass me by... then I know where he is. I hate looking in the rear view mirror for him!

·
Registered
68 Posts
THERE ARE ONLY TWO TIMES ANY OF YOU SHOULD BE UPSET; 1. WHEN YOU ARE IN TROUBLE AND THE "COP" IS LATE ARRIVING AND 2. WHEN THEY SPEED TO THE DONUT SHOP...
THERE IS INSTALLED A SET OF SPECIAL LIGHTS ON EVERY POLICE CAR "TWO FLASHING AMBER FACING TO THE REAR"
THESE ARE THE EXCUSE ME LIGHTS

ENOUGH SAID

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As a retired career cop, I can say that cops, in general don't speed as such. There are, however, those times when it becomes necessary for tactical or other legitimate reason to exceed the posted speed limit. Second guessing and becoming irate just because a cop is exceeding the speed limit is wasted effort and energy, as one doesn't know what's going on. LEO's are, for the most part, very responsible, knowing that we live in a glass house, as it were, it just doesn't pay to be irresponsible.

As for pay, you can't tell me that getting shot at, kicked, beaten, shoved around, spat on, etc., etc., should just be expected as part of the job, even if it's low-paying. The pay isn't the whole thing. No one becomes a cop purely for the pay, but a job that has such inherent risks ought to at least pay well, or what you'll get will be those who are weeded out during the application process--those who shouldn't be cops, but will do it for any pay, just so they can get away doing what's being discussed here. In short, you get what you pay for, and I'm relatively sure that anyone who requires the services of the police would want only the very best.

People love to "dis" the cops. That's just pure ignorance, IMO, or a reaction from having a negative encounter with law enforcement. Generally speaking, folks like to think that enforcing the law is something done to people other than themselves. Then when it happens to them, they become all indignant and self-righteous, like the law doesn't apply to them. Give us a break. Someone's got to protect you, even protect your right to disagree, and that's us. We hang it all out for you, whatever the pay, whatever the cost. We like to think we're well-trained and capable of doing just that. If we commit a small indescretion, we will be the first to apologize, with extreme embarrassment. And good cops hate bad cops--they give the rest of us a bad name. So, while you may disagree with me, I'll defend to the death, if need be, you and your right to do so.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If it is against the law to speed then it is against the law. You can't out run the radio. I have no problem with a law that allows the police to shoot runners. If you, as a runner have 2 or 3 cars/LEOs after you, and you won't stop then the trial is over. flame away

1 - 20 of 67 Posts