GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over on the general forum with no luck so I'll try it here.

While on our vacation up in Tenn ( we are still hear ) we got caught in the rain going to Maggie Valley and my speedo quit working and the F1 light came on. After a few hours it must have dried out and it started working again, that is until I washed the bike this morning. Again speedo not working and F1 light on for about three hours and then out of nowhere its all fine again.So I'm guessing it must be some kind of switch getting wet , any ideas on which switch or what I need to look for.

I'm thinking about either brake or cruise switches on the handle bars. When it happenes the cruise won't set , the blinkers won't cancel , the remote dose not work along with the speedo.The only good thing is the odometer dose not work either so I did'nt put any miles on the wing while this happens

BTW this is the first time this has happened, bought the wing new on June of 07 and now with 74,000 miles on it ,living in south Florida it has been on too many rain storms to list and has always been washed with soap and water after each ride. Thanks for any ideas and help..

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,366 Posts
Do you have a speedo correction device on it? If so, those can have issues and kill your speed signal coming from the speed sensor. Another possibility is water getting into the speed sensor's connector or the connector on up the harness from it. Here is a diagram that shows it's location as well as the route the harness takes to the connector close to your right knee while sitting on the bike. The connector is in the rubber boot at the top right of the picture. The loss of this signal will cause all of your symptoms because all of those systems need the signal as a reference for the bike's speed to work properly. Your remote failure may be something else.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Techdude,

I do have a speedo healer and I'll check all my connections when I get home. thanks for the diagram also. so far so good today but then again the bikes been dry . thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Happened to me in the rain last week. Light went away after it dried out. I don't have a speedometer correction device so I will be checking and silicone greasing the connector under the faring next time I do the air filter. Sooner than that if it happens again.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,366 Posts
If you don't find any problem at the sensor or the connector in that boot you can follow the wire, pink before the connector and white/black after the connector headed to the ECM and the gauges. At some point in the harness it splits with one of the those troublesome terminal blocks. That could be the culprit if everything else looks good.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I've had the problem three times and have had a speed healing device installed for 7+ years. The first time was in the summer of '10'.

The first and third times happen the next morning after having ridden in the rain most of the previous day.

The second time occured after having ridden in fog for 3 1/2 hours, then stopped for lunch for about 2 hrs. Once the ride was resumed the problem occured and took about 1/2 hr. before it cleared up.

After re-reading the previous posts, I'm thinking the 'speed sensor' area may be the problem area. Don't think it's possible to splash water up in the boot where the connector is while washing the bike.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,366 Posts
I agree, the boot is a place that I doubt water or rain could get to by itself, even in a downpour. It is either occuring under the exhaust headers at the sensor or possibly in the harness where the terminal block resides. If someone comes across the location of the block in the harness, let us know where it is and possibly get a picture of it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
195 Posts
You might want to check and see if you have the weather protection boots completely on you information panel or damage to them.

I just finished up a massive troubleshooting of multiple problems with my speedo, tach, fuel guage, turn signals, navi, oh hell the only thing that was working was the temp guage.

Unfortuately mine was caused by a piss poor dealer repair (replaced the Kill switch components on the handlebars). If the connectors on the back are loose or the weather boot is allowing water to get inside it might cause the problem. Just a suggestion here don't shoot the messager.

I finally have the repair done which was to clean all my connectors (the three) reseat connections andweather boots, and OBTW had to replace the wiring harness because they damaged the section that brought all the information up from the rear of the wing. 22 hours of repair time.

But I did digress a bit here.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

OBTW, the hint about coming in from the front and making sure the connectors click sure did help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've had the problem three times and have had a speed healing device installed for 7+ years. The first time was in the summer of '10'.

The first and third times happen the next morning after having ridden in the rain most of the previous day.

The second time occured after having ridden in fog for 3 1/2 hours, then stopped for lunch for about 2 hrs. Once the ride was resumed the problem occured and took about 1/2 hr. before it cleared up.

After re-reading the previous posts, I'm thinking the 'speed sensor' area may be the problem area. Don't think it's possible to splash water up in the boot where the connector is while washing the bike.

I`m having the same problem speedo & f1 light with no water issues, first time i pulled over & got owners manual out & saw f1 was an injecter problem started it backup it took off it didn`t come on so we went ona 150 mile ride with no problem, now 4 days later was goin for a ride & its happening again been in the garage & dry the hole time, any thoughts greatly appreciated,

TY Mike.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,366 Posts
Wheels49, what code is it flashing? If it really was an injector code, it shouldn't have started back up. Injector codes are fatal failures and aren't supposed to let the bike restart after shutdown.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Wheels49, what code is it flashing? If it really was an injector code, it shouldn't have started back up. Injector codes are fatal failures and aren't supposed to let the bike restart after shutdown.
I sure wish you were my neighbor! Thanks for helping out everyone ALL
the time you are certainly the "techdude" :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
All that happened was the speedo quit working & F1 light come on
didn`t see any codes flashing. ty, mike.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,366 Posts
If it ever does it again, pull over, put it into neutral and put down the sidestand. DON'T shut it down. The FI light will start flashing the failure code in long and short flashes. Take note of how many of each you get and we can look it up to see if it is pointing to the speed sensor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts