GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No! I'm not talking about that kind of speedo!!!! :shock:

I'm just a lurker here, looking for information for the day I will end up with a trike.
How far off is the speedo after a trike kit?

Thanks!

Andy

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Don't need a Speedo, but in the summer a good pair of Silk Undies, really helps a lot.

My Speed is about 3 off low, but don't worry about it too much, I use an old Garmin III + set on Speed and Bering.

G

·
Dear Lurker, :lol:

CSC's makes sure their geartset/tire size combination equals the stock Wing. Hence the same speedo error. Mine read about 8% high. When I got my iWay GPS, I thought since it would be correct, I would be ok. It was terrible. I couldn't stand it. Those 2 - the GPS and the Speedo always different. It drove me crazy.

So - I bought a Yellow Box. Now my speedo is correct and I am happy.

http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/h ... ?cat=26195

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
With my two wheeler, I was 4 mph off (high). After the Motor Trike kit, it is dead on, maybe 1/2 mph (high) at 70 per my GPS, which is nothing. I enjoy it being accurate.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
George Lewis said:
With my two wheeler, I was 4 mph off (high). After the Motor Trike kit, it is dead on, maybe 1/2 mph (high) at 70 per my GPS, which is nothing. I enjoy it being accurate.
I bet your speedo is dead on cuz of those 70's on the rear.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Speed

Just like George says - - - After the Motor Trike kit, it is dead on, maybe 1/2 mph (high) at 70 per my GPS

·
Registered
324 Posts
My old Motor Trike was dead on after trike kit. My Champion appears no change. Speedo registers 3 mph slower then GPS.
Hey Don, would you have put that yellow box on if it had been black box? LOL Harry

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Yes, MT said they matched the tires, gears, etc so you would get a good ride and correct speedometer readings. I agree they did that well!

·
Registered
251 Posts
When the speedo is off 3mph, is the odometer off too? My Suzuki speedo is off 5 mph, but the odometer is right on.
Capt Bob

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
beastie said:
Dear Lurker, :lol:

CSC's makes sure their geartset/tire size combination equals the stock Wing. Hence the same speedo error. Mine read about 8% high. When I got my iWay GPS, I thought since it would be correct, I would be ok. It was terrible. I couldn't stand it. Those 2 - the GPS and the Speedo always different. It drove me crazy.

So - I bought a Yellow Box. Now my speedo is correct and I am happy.

http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/h ... ?cat=26195
Don, did the YellowBox correct the odometer as well as speedo? The idea of racking up more mileage on the odo than actual really bugs me. Was it an easy install??

Larry

G

·
WhiskeryGoofy said:
Don, did the YellowBox correct the odometer as well as speedo? The idea of racking up more mileage on the odo than actual really bugs me. Was it an easy install??

Larry
While my speedo read 8% high, my odo was 4% high. I calibrated the speedo with my iWay 500c at 70mph. Now my odo is about 4% low which I consider a good thing.

I followed Fred Harmon's instructions, soldering the leads by the dipstick, and putting the yellow box under the right pocket so it was easy to get to. It took about an hour but it was difficult since you don't have much play or room to work. I did see a post that said if you take off the top shelter you can tap the wires much easier. If I had it to do over again that's what I would do.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I have not looked real close at the odometer reading against the GPS. I will this weekend just for fun. I only look at the GPS for trip and gas mileage and check speed against the speedometer...Never gave my total mileage accuracy much thought...when I sell this trike I am not sure a mileage reading of 79,890 vs 82,347 will make much difference in the $ I get for it. I am sorry guys, it is just my old brain showing little interest in the detail area....I will try to do better....if I can remember to do better.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
My speedometer is within 1/2 mph @ 70 mph per GPS and the odometer is 3% slow per 100 miles...At 100 miles on my GPS, odometer read 97.1...so when I sell my trike with 88,495 miles on it, it will really have 85,840! Don't tell on me.

G

·
I checked my speedo this weekend on our new CSC and it was real close with a freinds GL1500. I'll check it closer next week with the iWay going to Wings Over the Smokies.
I did see a difference in RPM though, at 70 MPH on 2 wheels I was turning around 3200 RPM, now I turn 2800.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts