GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it has not been warm enough for me to take out my stopwatch on the Interstate yet & clock the Wing now that I have the Avon 70R tire on the rear. BUT - A friend called and left a voice mail claiming that the 70R tire would not fix the problem.

Now, I'm assuming that he is thinking of the 1500 and not the 1800.

So, someone want to tell me how & why the Avon 70R rear tire fixes the error? I'm assuming that for the 1800, the rear tire is used for the speedometer reading.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
You are right - speedometer gets its input from the rear end. The larger tire - in your case the 70 series Avon, but just about all the 70 series VTX tires - has a larger outside diameter, reducing the revolutions per mile, thus lowering the speedometer speed and distance reading. And it comes real close to being real world.

They will come real close - maybe a percent or so on the conservative side until the tire wears down, then a percent or so on the optimistic side. But should be close enough for the girls we go with. I do not use the Avon's, but the G850 Bridgestone on the rear of mine makes it close enough that if I set the cruise at 60 on level Interstate, the mileposts go by at about one per minute - meaning 60 mileposts per hour.

Those that like to split hairs - I wonder what they use for a standard. Milepost markers? How were they surveyed in? GPS readings? How long was the GPS allowed to stabilize? Radar guns? When was it last calibrated, and against what? Stop watches? To be totally correct, they would have be be calibrated to National Bureau of Standards time, measuring tools calibrated to temperature, and even then it would only be good for that one time.

By the way, the 1500 and the Valk have speedometer cable drives off the FRONT wheel. You can work on the rear wheel all day long and not affect the indicator there.

S

·
0 Posts
Direct from the Speedo healer FAQ

5. Will the SH calibrate both my speedo and odometer?

Yes, but it is not possible to calibrate them separately, as one speed signal drives both the speedometer and the odometer.

You can get 100% accurate speedometer AND 100% accurate odometer only . :roll:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
You can get 100% accurate speedometer AND 100% accurate odometer only .
My engineering mind says that should say

You can get 100% accurate speedometer OR 100% accurate odometer only .

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
IR Harry said:
You can get 100% accurate speedometer AND 100% accurate odometer only .
My engineering mind says that should say

You can get 100% accurate speedometer OR 100% accurate odometer only .
I agree with IR Harry as I can only get one 100%, the other also adjusts but they are not the same.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Or just install a YELLOW BOX or SPEEDO HEALER or one of the other speedometer correction devices and forget it's there.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
TkBowman said:
Or just install a YELLOW BOX or SPEEDO HEALER or one of the other speedometer correction devices and forget it's there.
TK,
I am talking about the Speedohealer. I have one and have it set to correct my speed to dead on. The ODO got better but it is not 100%. I could adjust the speedohealer to fix it but then the speed would be off.
Hope this helps. I think others have found the same results unless they were lucky enough to have both correct to the same.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
TkBowman said:
Or....just live with it. How many actually go the speed limit anyway?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts