GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor
18,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GL1800 2002

Any one ever seen a speedo needle on the bottom side of the rest pin. Another words, if the rest pin for the speedo needle sits at a 8:00 am position, the speedo needle with the key off is sitting at 7:00am. When started the needle moves a little in the clockwise position and stops at the rest pin. The odometer does works.

I would guess that the speed head itself is bad but wondering if anyone had experiance this symptom.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I suppose hard braking, a pot hole or rough bump, could bounce the needle behind the stop.

Not sure how to get it back over the stop . Magnet, is it plastic or metal, ferrous or non ferrous. Hum??

Older bikes the meter face used to warp and rub the needle and stop it from working.

I would suspect somehow the needle bounced behind the stop.

Time you were to fix it, might as well just put in a new speedo.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
You can get to it if need be. -02 shown but 06 can be accessed in the same fashion.

·
Vendor
18,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe that is possible since this Wing was trailered. I could have happened then. Probably not while riding it since if a person was doing lets say 40 mph, it would have to bounce from 40mph back to zero and that is not likely. But while trailering that is possible if the trailer hit a bump jsut right.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yes a good bounce on a trailer could do it.

I looked at the one on my bike good, there is room for the needle to bounce up and over the stop peg.

I think I would just ride the bike backwards for awhile. :joke:

All those little screws and what a pain that would be to move the needle.

ARRRGGGG!!!!

·
Vendor
18,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was it Kit ... I removed the lens cover and lifted the needle to the other side of the stop and that fixed it. I would have never thought something like that would have happened. Thank you !!!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Yes a good bounce on a trailer could do it.

I looked at the one on my bike good, there is room for the needle to bounce up and over the stop peg.

I think I would just ride the bike backwards for awhile. :joke:

All those little screws and what a pain that would be to move the needle.

ARRRGGGG!!!!
The thought of riding backwards for 350 miles just does not excite me. Thanks Kit I am looking forward to riding back home. Had packed a GPS just in case so I would have a speedometer.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
:thumbup: Cool, glad it all worked out.

Strange things happen sometimes. No explanation for them really, they just do.

·
Vendor
18,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The thought of riding backwards for 350 miles just does not excite me. Thanks Kit I am looking forward to riding back home. Had packed a GPS just in case so I would have a speedometer.
I think he pack it to go get lost for a few days.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Greg, just having it back where it belongs for now doesn’t mean it will be correctly reading, ya might want to check it against something that you know it correct at several different speeds...

Only reason I say this, as a part of my work I have to use gages that some cots way over several thousands of dollars each and sometimes one of them will take a sharp blow and do exactly as you described, and when their re-calibrated. Sometimes they will have to be replaced because they will not calibrate correctly...

Of course on the other side of this, you may just have been able to find an easy way to correct the wings incorrect speedometer...

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
GL1800 2002

Any one ever seen a speedo needle on the bottom side of the rest pin. Another words, if the rest pin for the speedo needle sits at a 8:00 am position, the speedo needle with the key off is sitting at 7:00am. When started the needle moves a little in the clockwise position and stops at the rest pin. The odometer does works.

I would guess that the speed head itself is bad but wondering if anyone had experiance this symptom.

Made it back in 6 hours, not to bad. The speedo worked just fine; the bike is awesome. I actually found myself still thinking about shifting for a while. That went away rather quickly and was replace by a nice big grin. Will post more in the AM for now I am going to crash and get ready for a full days work. Yes I am riding the wing into work....

Thanks again and there is nothing like a smooth running Wing.

·
Vendor
18,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you made it back and can't wait to read more about a bike that got its gears corrected.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Glad you made it back and can't wait to read more about a bike that got its gears corrected.
Have to share this real quick before I go take care patients. On my way in to work I was comming up through the gears and as I shifted into 5th I felt my body tense up waiting for the ghost shift....it never came. I am so conditioned to being prepared for that jerk. Never realized it till now that I was riding like that. One more thing shifting from neutral to first is so nice...no more jerking or lurching.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts