GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedometer was reading 81 mph when all other riders were cruising at 74mph... big friggin difference....... Any info on this, anyone else having this problem??

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Everyone's opinion of how far the speedo is off varies. Most bikes have speedo error built in. Many differeing opinions as to why. Don't see any reason why they should, so it must be intentional.

I always just figure I am going 5 MPH slower than the speedo reads and figure I'm pretty close.

There are aftermarket devices (yellow box is one name I know of) that will correct it... but I figure once you get used to it, it isn't a big deal...

·
Chard Member
12,967 Posts
All the speedos on the 1800's are off, but not that bad. They will usually register about 5 mph too high across the board!

·
Registered
126 Posts
There are a couple of ways to correct this.

Take a look at "yellow box" at http://www.blackrobotics.com/
with installation photos at
www.pbase.com/fredharmon/yellowbox

There's at least one other electronic box to correct the problem, but I
can't find my link to it's web page.

As I recall, the big question is whether or not the recalibration can be done "on the fly" (like with a knob) or requires more fiddling.
Fred's use of "yellow box" was a pretty good recommendation for me.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
my is 5 % off which is a lot different then 5 MPH off. Which means in a 25 mph zone, if you go 5 mph over, you are speeding. Once you reach the speed of 60 to 70 mph then 5 mph over will work. So be careful and what and when you add 5 mph.

Dan L

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
when ever i drive a new vehicle i check the speedo right away, keeps my driving record clean that way

mine is 4 % high

so if it reads 70, i am at 67 actual

thats pretty close, so i guess i am fairly lucky.

i cruise down the interstate and compare the numbers of the mile markers to the speedo trip numbers, for a ball park figure. if it ever gets nice out again, ill try the gps for results.

loren

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The following are from various issues of Motorcycle Consumer News, these are the actual speeds when the speedometer reads 65 mph.

All at indicated 65 mph

2004 Ducati Multistrada--60.9
2003 Kawasaki ZR1000-A1--59.5
2003 Suzuki SV1000S--59.4
2003 Kawasaki 1600 Classic--59.3
2003 Suzuki SV650S--61.2
2003 Honda ST1300--61.5
2003 Ducati 999--61.92
2003 BMW R1200CLC--60.2
2002 BMW R1150RS--61.0
2002 Kawasaki ZX-9R--61.0
2002 Yamaha YZF-R1--60.2
2002 Honda GL1800--61.5<<<<<<<<<<<

·
Registered
533 Posts
Slow down, you are going too fast!

Well, with a GL1800, you are really going too slow. About 6%-7% too slow. The example speeds that your message showed is about the same as all of us.

If you want to save some time for yourself and others on this subject, go to: http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... ght=speedo

There are lots of posts on the above referenced thread that will help you understand the variance and see some solutions.

(just in case there is a limit to the amount of internet ink)

·
Registered
446 Posts
speedo error

I agree with most of the comments. My speedo is fast about 4mph, so I just do the compensation in my mind and there is never a problem. I would rather have it fast then slow.

Wish this snow and ice would leave the area so I could test the "speedo" error again.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

I appreciate all the info

Loren, did you get my message? I would like to see a photo of your Pacific Coast

·
Registered
58 Posts
I took care of the speedo error by putting an oversize Metzler on the rear. Corrected it to dead on; when I had gone 100 miles, the odometer would read 98 miles. I did notice some handling differences and when I popped the rear tire with a nail, I went back to the standard size.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I installed the correction box offered by jim ahlaman. It is now dead on based on my GPS. It is plug and play-no splicing. I had the dealer plug in in when the reweld was done. Good Luck, Glenn

·
Registered
6 Posts
speedo

I was thinking of getting mine checked the same way. Did you have him check it at different speeds? If so, was it consistently over by 5mph?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine is the same way. Shows 75 actually going about 68. I have an appointment to get it fixed at the dealer......we will see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts