GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding with my two buddies on their new BMW K1600s I am consistentlyrecording 8 or 9 miles more at the end of the ride.
It doesn't bother me but just thought I would ask the question.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Part of it is probably because prior to 2009, the speedometer were set to read about 5% higher speed than you were actually going. You can verify this by using a GPS or app on your phone to check your speed. Thus also leads to inflated mpg as it appears your are traveling further on the tank than you actually are. The only solution is something like the speedohealer to electronically correct it or even using a slightly larger diameter rear tire like some do when darksiding. By 2009, it appears to have been fixed and that the speedo will be more accurate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,I did think I was getting good mpg,on another plus side the total mileage is actually lower than recorded??

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
You can correct your speedo an odo both, with a 'Speedo Healer',of 'Speedo Doc'. Just google them, easy to install, and work perfectly.

Reactions: Oldmelv

·
Registered
2007 GL1800, 2018 CRF1000L, 2014 CRF250L, 2000 CBR600
59 Posts
On my 07 I run at ten over and know I'm at a safe speed, not impeding traffic flow, not going a speed I can be stopped for. Comes out to be about 6 over, I've figured, on the interstate. If it reads 62 in a 55 I'm backing traffic up/getting passed and I don't like that.

I dont worry about it because I ride the machine so hard that if I tried fixing a non existent problem then I'm positive a real one would present itself, ya know what I'm sayin?

If it ain't broke dont fix it is what I say about that one

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you're tall enough, you can buy the next size up...180/70-16 - the size the 1997-2003 Valkyries came with as a stock tire. The theory was Honda designed the 2001 (to 2008 I guess) Goldwings using the Valkyrie tires but then produced it with a smaller tire for shorter riders.

Or a darkside tire like a 205/55-16, but we all know how that ends. 🔥🔥🔥🔥

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Thanks,I did think I was getting good mpg,on another plus side the total mileage is actually lower than recorded??
Yes, you are running up more miles on your odometer than you are actually going. Nothing much good about that except if you get a few more miles on before some maintainence event you may still be on track.
Honda (and others) got into a class action lawsuit with the cars because of it. Warranty expires a bit sooner than it should/would have, lease vehicle owners being charged for excessive overage miles, etc, etc...So they got it calibrated a bit closer.
I "calibrated" my Wing with a 195/60-16 Pirelli P1. Pretty close now.
My older VWs also ran the speedo higher than actual but the odometers were very close to reality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When tested against a GPS on my then-new 2002 GL1800 in November 2002, the accuracy of my speedometer showed that it indicated 11% (eleven percent!) greater than actual speeds, and that the error of the odometer was a measured 4% greater than actual mileage.

Using a Yellow Box 3 (http://yellr.com/yb_home.htm; purchased from Australia), I chose to calibrate the odometer to display actual mileage and leave the speedometer as is, reasoning that if accurate speed was needed I would mount and refer to the [removable] GPS. Having accurate mileage was important to keep the bike in warranty as long as possible, and for accurate scheduling of maintenance too. Later I tweaked the settings to record accurate mileage when tires were worn about halfway.

18+ years later, the GPS shows that the odometer is close to dead-on accurate.

·
Registered
297 Posts
my speedo is off @4 MPH, verified with my Garmin GPS.

So, I normally go 5MPH over speed limit. I do have a speedo healer but, just haven't installed it yet...too much fairing parts to take off, just to find the connector, connect it, program it and reassemble just to see if I set it right...

If not, remove all parts and start over. I'll just go 5 over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my speedo is off @4 MPH, verified with my Garmin GPS.

So, I normally go 5MPH over speed limit. I do have a speedo healer but, just haven't installed it yet...too much fairing parts to take off, just to find the connector, connect it, program it and reassemble just to see if I set it right...

If not, remove all parts and start over. I'll just go 5 over.
I'm glad I didn't have to go through all that! Must be a pain to install.

My installation was to tap into a few wires under the right-side chrome cover, then install the Yellow Box under the right-side pocket.

On my GL I find the speedometer error varies by speed; the faster I go the greater the error.

·
Vendor
19,214 Posts
Riding with my two buddies on their new BMW K1600s I am consistentlyrecording 8 or 9 miles more at the end of the ride.
It doesn't bother me but just thought I would ask the question.
Sadly, sometimes Honda doesn't correct known issues until they are forced to. Here was the issue in the Honda car world.

John buys a new acccord and it came with Honda's standard bumper-to-bumper 3yr-36,000 mile warranty. Like our GoldWings, his speedo and ODM are off on the high side by about 10% too. Unfortunatly for John, his automatic transmission fails at 37,000 miles. And guess what ... it's out of warranty. His argument ... "but if my speedo and ODM were accurate, I'd be well with in my warranty. Honda's replay ... "bummer for you !!!"

Thus a class action law suit was started. Fortunanly for John, he was eventually reimbursed for his transmission repair, and for all future Honda car and GW owners, like everything else on the highway these days, our speedos and ODMs became more acurate.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
My 2010 is now dead even with my GPS...................... BUT my 2002 was not (my speedo was off)

Ronnie

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sadly, sometimes Honda doesn't correct known issues until they are forced to. Here was the issue in the Honda car world.

John buys a new acccord and it came with Honda's standard bumper-to-bumper 3yr-36,000 mile warranty. Like our GoldWings, his speedo and ODM are off on the high side by about 10% too. Unfortunatly for John, his automatic transmission fails at 37,000 miles. And guess what ... it's out of warranty. His argument ... "but if my speedo and ODM were accurate, I'd be well with in my warranty. Honda's replay ... "bummer for you !!!"

Thus a class action law suit was started. Fortunanly for John, he was eventually reimbursed for his transmission repair, and for all future Honda car and GW owners, like everything else on the highway these days, our speedos and ODMs became more acurate.
Never thought of looking at it that way before,mine is an 06 US or Canadian model which are slightly different than a UK model,it's way over any warranty work.

·
Vendor
19,214 Posts
Never thought of looking at it that way before,mine is an 06 US or Canadian model which are slightly different than a UK model,it's way over any warranty work.
In the GW world, our warranty expires at the 3 year mark. In the Honda car world, mileage can end it also. My bet says any one who paid for a repair that shouldn't have, got a refund.

Not All Odometers Are Created Equal (Published 2008)

"In the Honda case, the class-action suit claimed that the odometers on some Acuras and Hondas were overstating the mileage. In the settlement approved by the United States Court for the Eastern District of Texas last December, Honda agreed to extend the mileage limits on warranties by 5 percent. So a 36,000-mile warranty, for example, will expire at 37,800 miles and a 100,000-mile extended warranty will last until 105,000 miles.

The change is limited to 2002-6 model Hondas and Acuras and 2007 Honda Fits bought from April 13, 2002, to Nov. 7, 2006 a total of about six million vehicles, Honda said."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts