GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the infamous sticky speedo on my '01 Wing. Prior to today it only did it once before, about 5 years ago and hadn't done it since....
Out for a ride today on rural roads, about 35F on the temp gauge. Sun was to my back, hitting the gauge cluster... all the criteria for it to act up. Bike was running fine and I was cruising around 50-60mph at the time it was sticking. About 15 minutes later, I stopped at an intersection outside of town. While waiting at the stop light, my speedo showed about 60mph so I tapped the cluster several time and I watched the needle drop back down to zero. Continued into town with speedo showing zero, and came up to a roundabout/ rotary. I proceeded to accelerate through and into a strait away. The bike had a very noticeable miss/shudder and lack of power, and I think that the speedo came up a bit. I pulled in the clutch while coasting and revved the engine. I could hear and feel a strong misfire... I was only a few blocks from home and limped it back into the house. The speedo dropped back down to zero once in the driveway and I could rev it up and it seemed fine. Smell from the exhaust was very rich. No F-1 light...

What happened? Does an failure/error in the speedo affect the vehicle speed sensor calculations, thus fuel mixture?
This didnt happen the last time my speedo acted up....

Plugs are just a year old... Bike ran perfect for the first 1/2 hour of the ride today...Never, ever had a miss/driveability issue with this bike until today...:cry:

Ideas?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
speedo

I don't believe that one has anything to do with the other. The speedo hang-up is because of the panel behind the needle being warped. That's why it's temperature sensitive. I suspect the miss is fuel related. It is that time of year (just out of storage). I would add some fuel treatment and fresh fuel and monitor that for a while. If it reoccurs, then we have an issue.

Richard

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't believe that one has anything to do with the other. The speedo hang-up is because of the panel behind the needle being warped. That's why it's temperature sensitive. I suspect the miss is fuel related. It is that time of year (just out of storage). I would add some fuel treatment and fresh fuel and monitor that for a while. If it reoccurs, then we have an issue.

Richard
Fuel was treated prior to storage. Drove 30 minutes, open road prior to this issue with no problems. Rough running only occurred at same time as speedo issue was occurring. I agree that it is pretty much a co-incidence but timing?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Fuel was treated prior to storage. Drove 30 minutes, open road prior to this issue with no problems. Rough running only occurred at same time as speedo issue was occurring. I agree that it is pretty much a co-incidence but timing?
There's your problem. Unless you are storing for more than six months, DON'T. It will eventually bite ya.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
There's your problem. Unless you are storing for more than six months, DON'T. It will eventually bite ya.
Don't? Why not?:shrug:
I've been adding gas stabilizer in my motorcycles since I bought my first one in 1980. I add it to my boat motor, my snow blower and my lawn mower when I put them away for their down season. Around here in northwest Indiana, our gas goes bad in a couple weeks. Nothing has bitten me yet except the mosquitoes in the summer...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/04/09/aa.bad.gas/

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I live in NE Ohio. It is not necessary.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
Don't? Why not?:shrug:
I've been adding gas stabilizer in my motorcycles since I bought my first one in 1980. I add it to my boat motor, my snow blower and my lawn mower when I put them away for their down season. Around here in northwest Indiana, our gas goes bad in a couple weeks. Nothing has bitten me yet except the mosquitoes in the summer...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/04/09/aa.bad.gas/
Where have you been getting such awful gasoline ? Gas keeps fine for years around here. :thumbup:

·
Chard Member
12,974 Posts
Doubt the sticking needle and rough running are connected. Maybe a O2 sensor took a dump. 2001 had a history of bad sensors. Watch your mileage. See if it drops about 10%.

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update to rough running issue.....

Definitely not related.... coincidence at this point. I filled the almost empty tank today with fresh fuel and took it for a good ride out in the country. Took about a half hour then it started to run rough when I came down to a stop light. Got it back up to highway speed and I could feel it a bit, on and off. Got to my buddy's house in the city and noticed it was a lot worse, really feeling like a bad engine miss. Limped it home and decided to pull the engine covers to have a look at the plugs, they are about a year old, NGK Iridiums..... Pulled the left cover and checked all 3 wires, on snug. Pulled the back left wire (#6 cyl?) and found a significant white burn/arc right through the boot. I could look inside the boot and see the white arc burn in the same spot. Hmmmmm, thats a bad misfire if I've ever seen one.....
Now comes the question.... Can I change just the boot? I am thinking that changing the complete wire would not be fun. Has anyone had to change a boot or wire?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update to running rough, bad plug wire!

I filled the almost empty tank today with fresh fuel and took it for a good ride out in the country. Took about a half hour then it started to run rough when I came down to a stop light. Got it back up to highway speed and I could feel it a bit, on and off. Got to my buddy's house in the city and noticed it was a lot worse, really feeling like a bad engine miss. Limped it home and decided to pull the engine covers to have a look at the plugs, they are about a year old, NGK Iridiums..... Pulled the left cover and checked all 3 wires, on snug. Pulled the back left wire (#6 cyl?) and found a significant white burn/arc right through the boot. I could look inside the boot and see the white arc burn in the same spot. Hmmmmm, thats a bad misfire if I've ever seen one.....
Now comes the question.... Can I change just the boot? I am thinking that changing the complete wire would not be fun. Has anyone had to change a boot or wire?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
If your bike is non ABS it's fairly easy to change plug wires, a little tuffer getting at the coils around the ABS lines but still not bad. I changed all six wires for a friend last year on an 03 ABS bike took me just over two hours. I would replace the complete wire, that kind of arcing may also have burned the wire further up from the plug.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If your bike is non ABS it's fairly easy to change plug wires, a little tuffer getting at the coils around the ABS lines but still not bad. I changed all six wires for a friend last year on an 03 ABS bike took me just over two hours. I would replace the complete wire, that kind of arcing may also have burned the wire further up from the plug.
From what I read up on in my Clymer manual, you access the wires and coils throught the black plastic cover above the front timing cover? I am thinking that maybe it would be a better idea to do the full set of 6 wires. If one failed, more will too....
Where did you get the set of wires for your friends wing? I've priced them on line through Partzilla.com in the States, around $59.00 for the set, but they want $30.00 to ship them (ouch).....

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had the same problem 18 months ago. I replaced the plugs, twice. I replaced the air filter with a K&N. I used over two gallons of fuel injector cleaner and Sea Foam and gas treatment. Nothing worked. I went to a shop to who just happened to pull the air box and found most of the small vacuum tubes were shot. Once replaced, my bike was perfect. Faster and stronger than I had ever thought.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
From what I read up on in my Clymer manual, you access the wires and coils throught the black plastic cover above the front timing cover? I am thinking that maybe it would be a better idea to do the full set of 6 wires. If one failed, more will too....
Where did you get the set of wires for your friends wing? I've priced them on line through Partzilla.com in the States, around $59.00 for the set, but they want $30.00 to ship them (ouch).....
Reused the boots, I bought bulk wire from Napa and swaped them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reused the boots, I bought bulk wire from Napa and swaped them.
I think I will do a temp repair on the wire for now, then wait it out till later in the month when the wires come into stock. I want to do a whole set at the same time, so that they will be good for another 13 years!
Years ago, I wouldn't have thought twice about bulk wires and crimping up a set. The wires on the wing are not the kind of thing I want to have a problem with on the road, and if I have to spend 2-3 hours installing them, might as well be oem........
Thanks for the info! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts