GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else have difficulty seeing the speedometer? I wear bifocals. The speedo is blury glancing down through the bottom of my glasses. I have to tip my head forward to see it more clearly, it's still kind of small in my opinion. I assume it's sized as it is to leave room for the large screen in the middle. It would be nice to have an option for digital speed on that big screen, and/or on a corner of that screen regardless of what is being displayed there. It's actually less of a problem now that I have my Zumo on the left handlebar. Its close enough that I can see the digital speed through the bottom of my glasses. I don't plan on buying anymore bifocals. I'll just keep readers in the house and shop for the ever decreasing print size of everything...

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
The speedo is read easily. See an eye doctor

Reactions: Drair

·
Registered
930 Posts
If you are having trouble seeing correctly, yes, you need to see about getting glasses.
When I went to get prescriptions, I told them I wanted 2 pairs of glasses, both are bifocals.
One, the bottom will allow me to read things close up, the top will allow me to see the computer which is farther away.
The second pair is for driving or riding. The bottom allows me to see the dash of the vehicle I drive and the top is for distance.
These work very well for me.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,579 Posts
I don't use my very expensive glasses with the progressive lenses while riding. I used a cheap pair of low power reading glasses. They are low power enough to allow me to see distance clearly and also I can see the speedometer clearly too. I like the cheap reading glasses over my high dollar progressive lense glasses because I don't have to tilt my head down to look through the progressive part of the lens. I also like reading glasses for the computer too for the same reason although I have to use more powerful lenses for reading....next time you are at the dollar store try on a few pair of the cheap low power reading glasses ...works for me

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
We will all be like Fred Sanford and have a shoe box full of specs, one for every occasion. If explain your needs and wishes to your eye care professional, then you may well be surprised at how well they can accommodate. I typically get three pairs of eye wear with each prescription change. A real glass set of bifocals for reading and use in the office (I find real glass lenses to be far superior optically), a single script set of slightly tinted, hard coated poly-carbonate lenses for general wear, and a non-polarized single script medium dark sunglasses. I would prefer polarized sunglasses, but they are funky when looking through most motorcycle windscreens.

prs

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Let's face it guys......IT SUCKS GETTING OLD!

REMEMBER WHEN WE COULD "LAST" ALL NIGHT???................me neither!!! lol

Ronnie

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes a digital speed display instead of or in addition to the analog speedo would have been nice.

The eyes and brain can lock onto a digital display faster than a analog display and therefore less distraction taking your eyes off the road.

Reactions: BBQWing

·
Registered
420 Posts
I use my progressive glasses, can see easy and quickly. I have a full sunglasses pair and a clear transitions lenses set.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Same here. For years I've had of glasses with thin wire temples (for fitting under aviation headsets and inside a helmet), with the lower prescription set for reading either gauges or an airplane panel.
The dividing line is also a little higher so things directly ahead are in distance, everything just *slightly* below is in near correction.
They also a Transitions and have anti-glare coating.

Obviously different from my daily wear glasses.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
See your optometrist and get the proper eye glasses. You may be able to get them with the transition prescription, eliminating the need for sunglasses. You will be glad you did in the long run. No, the Speedo is not blurry LOL. :biker:

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
I have transitions and progressive aka no line bifocals....fit in my Shoei Neotec II and no issues seeing the speedo or anything else so far so good! Agree with those who suggest getting outfitted with the correct frames and lenses to enjoy you ride!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts