GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many posts talking about the speedometer and odometer accuracy issues for the 06-08 GL1800. A friend, JoJo from this board, and I did some tests on our 4600 mile ride recently. I have an 06 wing and he has a new 09 wing. Here is the results of the speedometer/odometer test:

1: We both clocked our bikes using our GPS. We checked our GPS and they showed exactly the same speed, so the GPS were clocking the same speeds. NOTE: We both used independent GPS, not the built in nav system on the wings (since I did not have an integrated Honda nav on my 06).His bike showed the speed and mileage on the GPS and 09 Wing were right on. No difference. Looks like Honda did correct the issue with the 09 wing. However, as stated by many, my 06 wing showed a 4mph difference from the GPS. When I showed I was going 69mph, the GPS showed it was actually 65mph. RESULTS/CONCLUSION: 06 WING (and probably 07/08 Wings) has a speedometer issue.

2:Then we checked odometers to see if the speedometer difference also transferred a mileage gain on my 06 wing different from his 09 wing. SURPRISE: doing numerous mileage test, our odometer and trip meters tracked the same mileage to the same tenths. NO gain on my odometer different from my GPS or from the 09 wing. RESULTS/CONCLUSION: The 06 wing, although having speedometer gain of 4 mph over actual GPS tracked speed, DID NOT TRANSLATE TO A SIMILAR MILEAGE GAIN ERROR.

Yes, this did surprise us, as we did the test numerous times and others on the board always made the assumption that the speedometer difference translated to false higher mileage on the 06-08 wings. Our tests included taking exactly the same route and turns, following each other. Sometimes we did the test over a hundred miles at a time or forty miles at a time. Our mileage lenght tests varied in distance, but we never, REPEAT, never had a mileage gain disparity between the 06 and 09 wings and both GPS'. Even down to the tenths of a mile, they were the same.

I posted this same results on another post but it was imbedded deeply inside the post. Thought I would show it separately.

·
Registered
194 Posts
So if that's the case, then the speedo error should not have to be factored in to MPG calulations, right? :shrug:

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Not true with my 02 or my 08. My 02 and 08 both gain 4 miles every 100. Checked the 02 with my friends 01 that had the speedo healer on it. Checked my 08 with an 07 that has a speedo healer and a GPS. the speedometer on his 07 reads maybe 1/2 MPH different than his GPS. When we set our trip meter to zero at the same time my will be 4 miles more at the 100 mile mark than his. I also run with a guy that rides a BMW 1200GT and his speedo is right on and I gain about 4 miles over his every 100 also.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
1:However, as stated by many, my 06 wing showed a 4mph difference from the GPS. When I showed I was going 69mph, the GPS showed it was actually 65mph. RESULTS/CONCLUSION: 06 WING (and probably 07/08 Wings) has a speedometer issue.
Bear in mind that your bike does NOT have a 4 MPH error, it has a 6.2% negative error, thus at a GPS 100mph you will be going about 106.2MPH on the Honda dial you might then state you have a 6.2 MPH error. But, I follow your drift. The earlier GL 18's were/are reproted to have various error rates of teh speedo. My '02 was almost exactly -10% of error with NEW Bridgestone or Dunlop OE sized tires (the error rate negatively increases with tire wear up to about another -2% when at the wear bars). With Avon Venom R 70 rear or Dunlop E-3 70 rear my bike was only about negative 4% off. With new OE sized Avon Cobra tires it is only about -3.5% off -- except I use a SpeedoHealer to calibrate to speedo to agree with the GPS spot on. The reported difference in calibration between the odometers and speedometers has been pretty consistent over the yearsup until the '09, which I think Fred reports close agreemetn between them. WIth your and your friend's bikes, it seems that Honda may have set the ODO to be correct, thus leaving you with only the small remaining negative % error that has been noted all along (up through '08s) anyway. My Speedo to ODO error rate is just a hair over 3%.

This is NOT just a GL1800 "thing" as other Honda cycles and vehicles have/had this and NOT just a Honda "thing" as most other cycles and vehicles have this. I understand the "why" from the manufacturer's perspective, but I disagree with it -- gagues should be as accurate as reasonably possible.

prs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts