GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that there is something that can be changed to correct the error of the speedometer. What is it? What is involved to do it? Estimated cost to purchase?
Thanks for sharing the info on the bike.
Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went to a larger rear tire (18") when I needed it @12k miles; a metzler 880. It corrected the error 100%. Only rode it for about 2k before bigPhred took a trip to Ohio. The only disavantage that i see is when it's on the center stand, I have to place a 1" peice of wood under the stand to have the rear wheel off the ground.
bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went to a larger rear tire (18") when I needed it @12k miles; a metzler 880. It corrected the error 100%. Only rode it for about 2k before bigPhred took a trip to Ohio. The only disavantage that i see is when it's on the center stand, I have to place a 1" peice of wood under the stand to have the rear wheel off the ground.
bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
sorry don't know why that happened except ain't that the cutest grandkid you ever saw???? I also got logged out(?)
granbob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey Colorado, how did you get the temp/time thingie to come up with your reply? Next question, how can I get one for where I live?

Lennnie in Michigan

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
I got the Yellow Box (Blackrobotics.com) and just installed it on my Wing. Here is a pic of the wiring I did. Red is a tap for +12v to the Yellow Box, Black is a tap for ground, The white wire with black stripe from the sensor is cut and the white wire takes it to the Yellow Box. The grey wire is the corrected signal that then goes to the speedometer:

Preparing the wiring for the 1/2" wire loom that is about to be installed:

Here is the wire loom installed. A couple of small black tie wraps help hold it in place:

Thanx to Fred Harmon's web site for help in getting this done. I mounted the Yellow Box just like Fred did: by drilling a small hole in one "ear" and tie wrapping to the wiring harness just in front of the right "lock box." :D (Fred: if you have any use for these pics let me know.)

lennnie in michigan said:
... how can I get one for where I live?

Lennnie in Michigan
Where in MI do you live?

Put http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/ ... Rapids.gif (change the name of the city if necessary) in between these two commands: . Make sure there are no spaces included.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I will keep that 18" back tire in mind. You have to replace tires anyway, so it isn't extra money. Buying the yellow box would make me feel like I am covering for Honda's mistake. :evil: I'll write down Metzler 880 and put it in my wallet. Thanks :!:

·
Chard Member
12,963 Posts
Phramed.....Where did you find a 18" rear wheel for your 1800? A 18" tire won't fit on the 16" factory wheel! :(

Do you think maybe they installed a Valk rear tire which is a 70 series instead of the 60 series that belongs on the Wing. A 70 series tire is taller and would help in the correction of the speedo error.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I understand that changing the rear tire to a bigger tire is a problem on the 1800A ABS. The ABS works by comparing the speed of the front tire to the rear tire. I read somewhere you should not change the size of the tires.

Can anyone confirm this??

Shooter Indy

·
Chard Member
12,963 Posts
Shooter......In the service manual area for troubleshooting malfunctioning ABS one of the causes to look for is "wrong tire size"! I wouldn't do it with or without ABS, but that's just me. :?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Speedometer Error

I have 40,000 miles on the Jim Ahlman unit. I selected it because it is a plug and play. No splicing required. Move to another bike by just unplugging. Very pleased with this unit.

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
01, 100,000 miles

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Could not live with +4 miles on the speedo. Installed a Dakota Digital Harley speedometer interface sgi-6 ? Bought three sets of Hitatchi 3 pin connectors from electrical connections. Cut the Harley connectors off, installed one set of 3 pin connectors. Then made up two 24 inch extension cords with the other two sets of 3 pin connectors. Just to the left of the right pocket key lock, under the plastic is the pickup speed sensor connector in the boot. Just pulled it apart, connected the two extension, and ran the extensions under the right pocket. Then connected the Dakota Digital interface. It is about one inch square, and three inches long, with rubber sealed push buttons. One up, one button down. With the pocket out of place, I can drive down the road and check the speed with a GPS. Then holding the interface that will hang out with the extensions in my left hand, adjust the speedometer. When all done, just tuck under the top of the right pocket. weather proof, sealed, no dip switches, and out of sight. Can be just unplugged and the two extensions reconnected together for OEM operation.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Phramed said:
bob
Is the Metzler 880 a radial tire?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Phramed said:
sorry don't know why that happened except ain't that the cutest grandkid you ever saw???? I also got logged out(?)
granbob
Sorry, but my two grandsons are the cutest grandkids I ever saw!!!

Sorry, but the truth must be told! :)

John in Vegas

1 - 20 of 40 Posts