GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 ABS 117,000 miles owned since new

During warm up or right when my bike reaches operating temperature the speedometer drops to zero. It recovers every time usually within 10 to 60 seconds. The MIL doesn’t always throw a fault but if the FI does light during this period I can feel a drop in HP. The fault blink reading shows VS sensor no signal. Once the speedometer recovers from the failure it doesn’t do it again. There seems to be an association between coolant being released into the system via the thermostat and the speedometer fault. Acceleration can sometimes provoke this failure but only during the warm up period. If a signal is lost from the VS sensor why would there be this kind of pattern where it works perfectly after the bike is at operating temperature? If I had to guess I’d say something in the fuel burn parameters in the module is at fault where sensors tell it to change metering fuel now that coolant is flowing. Has anybody had this problem before?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Sounds identical to the problem I had on my '03'. I determined that it was caused by high humidity and the 'speed sensor'. One day I decided I was going to locate this sensor so I could somehow check it the next time. When I finally got to the sensor I noticed that the wire insulation was separated from the boots where the wire is connected to the sensor. I figured moisture was getting in and causing a short.

Not having a new sensor, I forced Plumbers Grease into the gaps between the wire and boots hoping that it wouldn't harden and separate again. That was five years ago and haven't had the problem since.

The moral of my story is; I would not spend the time taking everything off to get to the sensor without having a new one to replace it with.

·
Vendor
17,531 Posts
Next time the FI (fault indicator) light comes on, pull over, keep the engine running, put it in neutral, and put the kick stand down. That will trigger the FI light to flash a code. Long flashes are 10 and short flashers are 1. So code 11 will be one long flash, a short pauses, and a short flash. Then there will be a long pause and then it will repeat. Make sure you count your flashes correctly. Then come back to this post and report what the code for more assistance.

Just and FYI, your FI will probably flash code 11. Code 11 stands for a faulty speed sensor or a faulty speed sensor circuit. In most cases its a faulty sensor. Sensors go bad because of age and mileage. Until they completely quit, vibration, humidity, and temperature will make them act up. When yours acts up, most likely your speedo will quit or be erratic, your cc not set, or if set, it will quit, and if your turn signals are flashing, they will not cancel correctly. In addition to sending info to the ECM, those other circuits relay on that sensor too.

If you have some sort of speedo healer wired into the speedo circuit, those can often be at fault too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips

Next time the FI (fault indicator) light comes on, pull over, keep the engine running, put it in neutral, and put the kick stand down. That will trigger the FI light to flash a code. Long flashes are 10 and short flashers are 1. So code 11 will be one long flash, a short pauses, and a short flash. Then there will be a long pause and then it will repeat. Make sure you count your flashes correctly. Then come back to this post and report what the code for more assistance.

Just and FYI, your FI will probably flash code 11. Code 11 stands for a faulty speed sensor or a faulty speed sensor circuit. In most cases its a faulty sensor. Sensors go bad because of age and mileage. Until they completely quit, vibration, humidity, and temperature will make them act up. When yours acts up, most likely your speedo will quit or be erratic, your cc not set, or if set, it will quit, and if your turn signals are flashing, they will not cancel correctly. In addition to sending info to the ECM, those other circuits relay on that sensor too.

If you have some sort of speedo healer wired into the speedo circuit, those can often be at fault too.
I suppose it stores all instances of FI. I sat there reading code 11 and after ten times I got the message and rode on. I'd agree that typically the sensors go so why doesn't it fail at all after the engine has reached operating temp? Ever. It behaves like a computer logic sort of thing to be so consistent. If it failed anytime during a run then I'd go with the troubleshoot tree in the maintanance manual of circuit and/or speedo. I hope someone knows of these exact same symptoms, knew how it was solved and posts something here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing

Sounds identical to the problem I had on my '03'. I determined that it was caused by high humidity and the 'speed sensor'. One day I decided I was going to locate this sensor so I could somehow check it the next time. When I finally got to the sensor I noticed that the wire insulation was separated from the boots where the wire is connected to the sensor. I figured moisture was getting in and causing a short.

Not having a new sensor, I forced Plumbers Grease into the gaps between the wire and boots hoping that it wouldn't harden and separate again. That was five years ago and haven't had the problem since.

The moral of my story is; I would not spend the time taking everything off to get to the sensor without having a new one to replace it with.
The irony is that Thursday I rode it in the rain and that was the first time the speedo hadn't failed in a long time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Problem possibility

Hey

Would you happen to have a Speedo Healer on the bike.

Sometimes that devices connections get a bit of oxidation on them and this will happen with them as well!

Ride Safe

·
Vendor
17,531 Posts
When it fails, it stores a single code. As it fails more often, more 11's are not stored. The light flashing means that it failed prior to it flashing, and that it happened during that key cycle. Once the key is cycled off, the code is still in memory. The light will not re-flash until the sensor/circuit "faults" out again. If it were mine, I'd replace the sensor, clear the code from memory, and go riding. Don't forget to order in a new o-ring too.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have the same problem going on right now. I have a new sensor and an O ring to install on hand right now.

Being it is Suberbowl sunday it will have to wait until sometime next week.

My symptoms were that sometimes it would act up first thing and then the FI light would illuminate. Once I cleared the code it would be fine for the rest of the day. I have 105K on the bike and actually the only problem that I have had. The parts were $96 including shipping.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Location Location Location.

speedsensor.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again

Hey

Would you happen to have a Speedo Healer on the bike.

Sometimes that devices connections get a bit of oxidation on them and this will happen with them as well!

Ride Safe
I don't have this 'Speedo Healer'. Probably wouldn't install one either after seeing how it seems to cause problems over time - based on the posts I've seen. I wonder if an authorized repair facility might have something to plug in and run diagnostics rather than read codes?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The irony is that Thursday I rode it in the rain and that was the first time the speedo hadn't failed in a long time.
Art, I never had trouble riding in the rain.

One time in New England rode in on/off rain all day without a problem. The next morning it was very foggy and high humidity, had the problem for about a hour before it cleared up.

PS-I have a speed correction device that I forgot about! After looking a Waldo's picture, I think it's moisture getting between wire and boot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts