GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many hours of trouble shooting combination meter problems almost all of them are corrected with the exception of speedometer needle will bounce at higher speeds. The issue goes away when you slow back down. I suspect it is the speedometer head itself as i have changed one and the issue changed. Has anyone had a similar issue?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
(Assuming this is on an older bike(?)...Most likely a cable or drive issue...

Always helps to know what year bike...

:thumbup:

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
(Assuming this is on an older bike(?)...Most likely a cable or drive issue...

Always helps to know what year bike...

There is no speedometer cable on 2001+ Wings.

There was a service campaign on early 1800's for speedometer needles getting stuck due to the face of the meter warping when it gets hot from sun.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
There is no speedometer cable on 2001+ Wings.

There was a service campaign on early 1800's for speedometer needles getting stuck due to the face of the meter warping when it gets hot from sun.
Hmmm... the face would make the needle stick, but jumping(?). Wonder if it’s getting stuck then breaking loose? Is this happening while coming up to speed or while you are holding a set speed? If it’s happening at a set speed, I’d look to a bad connection somewhere in the speed sensor circuit...(?)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply, sorry i didn't respond sooner. Work, work work.
No warping or needle drag. first time it was from 45 - 50 mph steady speed and it would jump to 80 or 85 then back to speed about 50 and would be fine for quite a while then it would do the same thing. Next time out it behaved itself for several miles duration and i decided to accelerate it up to see if it would jump again. Got to 80 and it jumped a little, slowed back to about 50 and everything seemed normal. i confirmed the speed was correct with my GPS so I know it's close. Maybe it will just keep moving upp and will get out of my operating range. The only connection that needs to be confirmed is the speed sensor wire under the top shelter. That's going to have to wait until the shelter has to come off for a few things. Spent way to much time working on the Wing for the last 8 months. I need to ride!!
Thanks for you thoughts.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,377 Posts
Thanks for the reply, sorry i didn't respond sooner. Work, work work.
No warping or needle drag. first time it was from 45 - 50 mph steady speed and it would jump to 80 or 85 then back to speed about 50 and would be fine for quite a while then it would do the same thing. Next time out it behaved itself for several miles duration and i decided to accelerate it up to see if it would jump again. Got to 80 and it jumped a little, slowed back to about 50 and everything seemed normal. i confirmed the speed was correct with my GPS so I know it's close. Maybe it will just keep moving upp and will get out of my operating range. The only connection that needs to be confirmed is the speed sensor wire under the top shelter. That's going to have to wait until the shelter has to come off for a few things. Spent way to much time working on the Wing for the last 8 months. I need to ride!!
Thanks for you thoughts.
Have you checked the 3 connectors on the gauges? The signal runs through the “A” connector on the gauges and C8 under the left pocket as well as speed sensor connector. Bouncing usually indicates a loose or poor connection in the signal path from the sensor to the gauges.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Rob, I'm guessing it may be the sensor connector as I have done a lot of work recently the the three connectors on the Meter and C8 trouble shooting lack of display on the LCD for the audio functions. Purchased a used combination meter(crack in the case) to get the LCD only to find that the LCD was fine. I had a bad main board in the combo meter. the speedo would stop hard at a max of 40 mph and would not go above that. scavenged the speedo head from my original meter and it appeared to work fine, until i got about 50 miles out, then as described previously.

·
Registered
218 Posts
After many hours of trouble shooting combination meter problems almost all of them are corrected with the exception of speedometer needle will bounce at higher speeds. The issue goes away when you slow back down. I suspect it is the speedometer head itself as i have changed one and the issue changed. Has anyone had a similar issue?
Just went through this, it was the VSS vehicle speed sensor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts