GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 GL1800. As you know, these had a problem with the instrument cluster lens warping in heat, causing the speedometer needle to stick. Mine did that. I pulled the cover off. The internet said I could just bend the speedometer needle. Wrong! Hard plastic! So I reinstalled the needle and shimmed the lens. I took for a test drive, and my speedometer was 20mph fast. It showed 0 with key off, but 20 with key on. No problem. Pull it apart and reinstall needle with power on. Now I have no speedometer at all. Odometer, cruise, all work. Only thing not working is speedometer. What did I do? Could I have wrecked the speedometer by removing and reinstalling the needle? Needle moves some by turning key on and off, so there must be power to it. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
4,581 Posts
I had that same issue but the problem was the paper behind the needle, with the numbers on it, would warp in the heat and press up against the needle, pinning it. Honda repaired either under warranty or recall, don't remember. But help pulling your speedo and getting it back in right....you don't want me. One of the sharp guru's will be along shortly. Good luck!

·
Vendor
17,793 Posts
After market windshields can cause the same. Here in Florida, many will put something over their windscreen when parked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts