GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
As Newbie Goldwing owner, I have seen some comments on this Board and others about the accuracy of the GW speedometer.

I have an 02 running the stock Bridgestone tires. Can I expect the speedo to read high or low?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I do not want a Harley. O.K., sure give me one,
and I'll take anything. Anyhow, I think Harley
will be your only accurate bike. I have had 3
large cc Jap bikes now, and they are all off
horribly. Why, you got me.

As Wingnutzz said, after 35 MPH, subtract 5 MPH.

I also read postings sometime ago that said even cars,
like BMWs are off. Thank God it is not a tax return.
The IRS expects perfection there.

P.S. I also read the GL1500's were right on?

·
Registered
27 Posts
speedo error

All the bikes I have owned including my 1500 Goldwing and my Valkyrie seem to have an error of about 10% when checked with my gps unit. I have not yet checked the 1800. Therefore an indicated 55 mph is an actual 50, 100 =90, 180=158

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas. I guess if there has to be error it is better to be reading faster than slower. Less likely to arouse the attention of you know who.

Am I to assume that the odometer reflects the same error? ie it shows more miles than you have actually traveled? Or have any of you guys found the odometer to be reasonably on the money? That should be a really easy one to check out by using the mile posts on the Xways and the trip odometer. A 2 or 3 percent error in odometer reading is no biggie. Most cars are probably not much better than that. But 10% can be significant. Such as your 50,000 mile bike only really went 45,000 miles, and it would also affect your gas milage figures for those who care about gas milage. Frankly, gas milage is not an issue for me, but it sure could be for those who like to travel long distances between gas stations, as in booney riding.

Just curious. Thanks for your experienced input.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have an '02. The ODO is off by about +4% and the SPEEDO is off by about +6%.

And that is the part I don't understand. To get the miles on the ODO, simply multiply the Miles per HOUR times HOURS. Simple arthmetic. But the 1800 doesn't do it that way or uses a faulty clock.

I use a Black Robotics "Yellow Box" to correct the ODO and subtract about 2 MPH from the SPEEDO at highway speeds. Actually, I just use the GPS as a SPEEDO.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys. I wll just keep it in mind as I ride. Just as long as I know I haven't gone as far as it says I have, and I didn't get there as fast as I thought I did. :clap2:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Check out this link for info on the "Ahlman Speedometer Recalibration Unit":

http://www.jahlmandesign.com/

I installed one on my bike in 20 minutes or so. An 8% correction dialed my speedometer in perfectly with the speed indicated on my GPS.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
how exactly does a GPS tell you your speed? I don't have a GPS or know about them, and what makes them accurate enough to calibrate a speedo?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Javern said:
how exactly does a GPS tell you your speed? I don't have a GPS or know about them, and what makes them accurate enough to calibrate a speedo?
The GPS system is capable of measuring speed accurately, whether you are on land, water, or in the air. The GPS unit determines your location including altitude, then in a preset time frame it takes another bearing and compares it to the time that has elapsed. A simple calculation by the unit displays your speed through the given distance.

Want more information? Try this link:

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GPSGuidef ... Manual.pdf

Pat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts