GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to my GPS my speedometer is just not dependable, plus, it will "stick" or "hang" at some speeds (ie. on 60 mph when you have slowed to 40 mph). Sometimes when stopped it will still be registering as much as 20mph. If you tap on the plastic cover, the needle will fall. I've noticed you can buy a new one to fit the instrument panel for about $60. Has anyone experienced this problem? or Has anyone replaced just the speedometer, not the entire instrument panel? Tks!

·
Registered
17,098 Posts
This used to be a common problem whe the bike had been left in strong sunlight too long. The dash plastics soften and sag, catching the needle. Good idea to lay a cloth cover or jacket over the dash when parking out of doors. You don't hear so much of this now days, so maybe Honda din some thing to improve the situation?

prs

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
This was an issue with the 2001 models. A recall was done and speedometers were replaced. I haven't heard of it happening with later models after the fix.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
It was also a problem on some 02's. The PO of my bike had the speedo replaced at about 38k. (under warranty)

·
Love The DCT
12,155 Posts
According to my GPS my speedometer is just not dependable, plus, it will "stick" or "hang" at some speeds (ie. on 60 mph when you have slowed to 40 mph). Sometimes when stopped it will still be registering as much as 20mph. If you tap on the plastic cover, the needle will fall. I've noticed you can buy a new one to fit the instrument panel for about $60. Has anyone experienced this problem? or Has anyone replaced just the speedometer, not the entire instrument panel? Tks!
This problem was covered in Service Bulletin GL 1800 #8, December 2001 titled:

"2001 GL1800/A Speedometer Replacement"

This Service Bulletin will assist you in the replacement
of the speedometer unit on affected 2001 GL1800/A
models.

The speedometer faceplate may warp from extended
exposure to direct sunlight. This can produce intermit-
tent sticking of the speedometer needle. A replace-
ment speedometer is now available to correct this
condition.

Only perform this procedure if the motorcycle actually
experiences a sticking speedometer needle. If other
instrument needles are sticking, contact TechLine at
(800) 421-1900 before proceeding further.

:doorag:

·
Love The DCT
12,155 Posts
This was an issue with the 2001 models. A recall was done and speedometers were replaced. I haven't heard of it happening with later models after the fix.
There was not a recall issued with the service bulletin for the sticking speedometer problem. They were only replaced if the customer experienced a problem with the speedometer sticking. :doorag:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
There was not a recall issued with the service bulletin for the sticking speedometer problem. They were only replaced if the customer experienced a problem with the speedometer sticking. :doorag:
It's been a long time and I couldn't remember exactly how they classified it. Recall was the only word that came to mind.
Mine didn't start giving trouble until I had over 42,000 miles on it. When they replaced it, they used the wrong speedometer or something, and it zeroed out the mileage, which wasn't supposed to happen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts