GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had always heard that on Honda Motorcycles the speedometer was off approximately 10%. I never checked mine until my last bike which was a 1100 Shadow. They were right...it wasn't quite 10% but pretty close. I checked it several times not only with a radar gun but also my gps.

I figured the wing would be about the same and with the trike conversion on it probably a bit more. Today I took my gps with me to try my new tire out. I checked at 35 mph, 55, 65, 70. Was I shocked. At 35 it showed approximately 34.3 on the gps; at 55 it showed 54.1; and at 70 it showed 68.4.

Anybody else checked yours and how did your's compare to the gps?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a 2008 CSC conversion and my reading are the same as yours.

·
Registered
598 Posts
From what I understand the speedometer must get its input from the rear not the front. When I was sizing the rear tires for our trike I looked up the radius of the stock (Honda) rear tire and searched for a new tire that was 7% larger in diameter, my speedometer and my GPS are now very, very close.

So I said that to say, your speedometer output will be based on the size of your rear tire, if it is the same diameter as the stock tire it will be in error, unless you have an 09. If the tire is a different diameter (larger or smaller) your speedometer will read accordingly. (does that make any sense)

Wayne

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a Motor-Trike and the speedometer is only about one mile per hour off. Motor-Trike did a good job getting the gear ratio and tire size right to get the speedo much closer than Honda did.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Mine are about the same, I use the Tach and GPS to set the cruse.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Wouldn't that also throw your odometer off?

Quote from J V McClure a couple pages back: "I checked my speed and I was doing over 80 MPH!!! :roll: I'm sure I was the subject of the flash.:22yikes:"

Hey J V quick call Arizona and tell 'em to send your ticket to Honda HQ's in Japan! :eek: It wasn't your fault after all..........

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
mlsa. If I am correct, you own a 1500. I owned a 1500 Mt coupe and the speed difference was about three mph. The same with my 1500 "two wheeler". The 1500 has a speedometer drive and cable on the front wheel so it would not matter if it is triked or not as long as you keep the same front tire size. The next time you change front tires if you will go to the 130/80/18 it will correct the speed error.

·
Registered
792 Posts
After triking my was with in .5 mph all the way though. By changing the rear tires bought it back where it should be. Out of all the posts about this I don't recall anyone that got worse.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
My speedometer is within 1 mph, my odometer is off about 3%. Before I triked, my speedometer and odomerter was off 4% (fast) by the same GPS as I now use.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yep! Ditto here. At 60 on the speedo the GPS registers 58.something. About 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 mph off. Not bad.

So figure when the Trike has 100,000 miles you are off by 10,000. Not significant at all relative to wear and tear on a Goldwing. Maybe two oil changes with synthethic oil.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mlsa. If I am correct, you own a 1500. I owned a 1500 Mt coupe and the speed difference was about three mph. The same with my 1500 "two wheeler". The 1500 has a speedometer drive and cable on the front wheel so it would not matter if it is triked or not as long as you keep the same front tire size. The next time you change front tires if you will go to the 130/80/18 it will correct the speed error.
Your right Roadhog...I have a 1500. I'll remember when I change tires again...since I have new tires all the way around now I hope that won't be for a while. lol

·
Registered
393 Posts
My motortrike is also right on with the GPS

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My motortrike is also right on with the GPS
Good Morning GW

ARe you and Mary and any of the other TX2 going to the Kerrville get-together in April? I'm David the new guy that just signed up right before Christmas with you guys. Didn't make the breakfast run this past weekend...wife had surgery so I'm having to stay close to home for a while.

·
Registered
393 Posts
We are going thats all

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wing was more inaccurate on 2 wheels than on 3 wheels. While I have not actually logged what it was at what speed, it seems that the faster I go, the more accurate it is. Or is it the other way around? Now I'll have to check for sure. At any rate, it's still more on target now than before.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't have GPS but checked with wife's Monte Carlo and on trip from Northern Bama to South Fl. I had 801.5 mi. on trike compared to 801 mi. on her car. :shrug: I don't know maybe I just went .5 mi. more than her or maybe she went .5 mi. less than me (Ya Think?). :shrug: :eek:4: I tried to check with mile markers but could not notice any differences (so gave that up with all the traffic). I forgot a speed check said I was going 65 while I had cruise set at 65 (as close as I could set it). I thought would learn something but seems I've learned nothing -- sure was fun though!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts