GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello im new to this sight. I know this must of been asked before, so now you have the opportunity to have your input again. I have the metallic silver 2003 1800. My speed is off by 5 miles ph. Has there been a recall on this? Is this something the dealer can adjust? Or is this a scheme to get more miles faster on the bike so you will trade it in quicker? HA HA Can you be of assistance. Thank You

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Welcome to the site, Wngtym. It's the nature of the beast. Some owners use the yellow box to adjust the speedo, others use a 70 series tire on the rear. I just ride mine and don't get anal about it. :lol:

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Welcome Aboard.

You'll find lots of help here in addition to a million ways to spend your money.

The speedo is accurate to about 35 mph. From there up it's 5 over. Most M/Cs are like that. I think it's a liability issue. Personally, I just got used to it. I'll use my GPS if I really gotta know.

There may be others, but here are a couple fixes

http://www.blackrobotics.com/yb_home.htm
http://www.jahlmandesign.com/

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Phil & Quickdraw I appreciate the info. I guess i won't let it bother me much. I'll just ride on in to the sunset. Be seeing ya later on this sight im sure. Again thanks

G

·
Just a little more info....its not just the odometer that is off. In most cases you will find a similar, but not necessarily equal error in the odometer reading.

In my case there was a 6% high reading on the speedo and the odometer was off almost exactly 4%. Thats 10400 miles for every 10,000 on the bike...Again no big deal for many, but I chose to install the yellow box corrector and take out the 4% odometer error. That leaves the speedo 2% high...no big deal. The yellow box allows for correction in 0.25% increments.

Its all a matter of what is important to you.

Neal
KF5T
Florence, MS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts