GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a SPIII for Christmas and am debating on returning for a 2610. I am a GPS novice and would like your input. :?:

I think I understand most of the differences but, I'm not sure what that means to me practically. :wink:

Serial connection vs USB.
Garmin memory vs standard Flash Card.
Unit keys vs remote???
2610 larger visible map display.
Handheld capability on the SPIII.

What else????

Is going through the return hassle worth it?

Difference in price appears to only be about $60.

G

·
I have SPIII. Never owned 2610. With that in mind...

Serial connection vs USB: USB is more modern, faster, often easier to access on your PC. Future P.C. may not have serial port. OTOH, present advantage for downloading waypoints and routes = none, really, as serial port is plenty fast.

Garmin memory vs standard Flash Card: Very real advantage to 2610. Flash Card is much cheaper, than proprietary cards for the SPIII. You can get detail for 1/2 the entire country on a 512 MB CF card, if I'm not wrong. Memory cards for SPIII are much more expensive.

Unit keys vs remote: Don't know.

2610 larger visible map display: 2610 nominal improvement over SPIII.

Handheld capability on the SPIII: SPIII cannot be handheld. It has internal batteries, which can power unit for SHORT period of time, without hook-up to bike's electrical system, but cannot be used handheld. Not a practical advantage, IMO.

The SPIII is a wonderful device, but if the price is close, I'd go with the 2610.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Fuzzy said:
I received a SPIII for Christmas and am debating on returning for a 2610. I am a GPS novice and would like your input. :?:

I think I understand most of the differences but, I'm not sure what that means to me practically. :wink:

Serial connection vs USB.
Garmin memory vs standard Flash Card.
Unit keys vs remote???
2610 larger visible map display.
Handheld capability on the SPIII.

What else????

Is going through the return hassle worth it?

Difference in price appears to only be about $60.
One of the big problems with the 2610 is it not having batteries. I am sure someone will come up with a portable battery pack (there are some directions for a rigged up one for now "out there" somewhere). So if you want to take in off the bike, you are SOL.

The 2610 has a touch screen, heard it works pretty good.

Memory is MUCH cheaper, but then I upgraded to the SPIII from the GPS V with only 19 megs, so I am sure I'll get by just fine on 128 meg :)

I'd be more happy with the SPIII for now, as there are already mounts, intercom interfaces, and all that available, while they are still in the works for the 2610.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Dale C.

I have had a SPIII for the past 14 months and it's been nothing short of fantastic both on my wing and in the car. I use it all the time and on trips and many outings it has really saved my bacon and time. That being the case, I can live with the present SPIII for a few more years down the road and be very happy.

Now for $60. difference there is no question that I would opt for the newer 2610 in a heartbeat. More than anything, I would probably appreciate the faster processor and ability to speed through the GPS on programming or how it drew the maps. The added flashcard memory changes and touch screen processes while certainly nice are a tossup to me. Ninty-seven percent of the time you won't utilize anything close to more than 128 megs anyway, but you can buy the flashcard memory far far cheaper ($50. for a 256 meg flashcard) so that's potentially nice for special times.

I'd say, for $60. take the SPIII back, good as it is, and get the newer 2610 (or I'll send you my SPIII and $100. and you can send me the 2610).

DaleC

·
Registered
788 Posts
The 2610 is also physically narrower and lighter than the SPIII. I have the 2610 and love it. It has a very visible display, which I believe is much better than the SPIII in sunlight. Cheaper memory is definitely an advantage also. For the price difference, I'd go for the 2610.

·
Registered
90 Posts
SPIII vs 2610

Data cards for the 2610 are much cheaper but 128mb card in the SPIII is enough for almost any trip, and they can be over-written so you can erase one set of maps and add another for various parts of the country.

Remote controls?? Why would you need remote control?

Serial vs USB? Some older PC's don't have USB. If your PC has both, USB is usually easier to get to and somewhat faster. Not much of a difference though.

If I was buying one and could get the 2610 for $60 more, I would go with the 2610 simply because it is the "latest and greatest" technology. I would not spend the extra money to upgrade my SPIII though. When I was shopping for a GPS, there was about $200 difference in price, so I went with the SPIII. I like it a lot. SLIDE

·
Registered
227 Posts
GPS SPIII vs 2610

First off let me say I have not seen the 2610 but reading this and other boards I will make the following comments.

If some of my comments do not ring true to all please comment as I am still learning.

The main unit of the SPIII works off a serial port only and is used only to input the maps/routs which are stored on the main unit. My laptop does not have a serial port and I have not been able to find a converter that works.

The card unit works off a USB port and is for storing maps only.

I have used mine on trips from here (Centeral MS) to Madison, WI, Las Cruces, NM, Key Kargo, FL and have never ran out of storage space.

I have it wired into the Wing elertrical and sound system using the Kennedy Cell Set. When I move it to the cage, it came with a cord that plugs into any lighter for both power and sound so that works great.

I have read that some riders are having trouble using the 2610 while wearing gloves.

Most seem to like the 2610 best for the faster speed, but still waiting for the wiring to power it fromn the bike and run it through the sound system.

The SPIII does everything I could ask and I am most happy with it. The additional $60 could pay for the mounting system to put it on the Wing.

Hope this is some (little) help.

Ron

·
Registered
304 Posts

I bought the 2610 in early December. Here are my thoughts:
---------------SPIII-------------------------------------2610

Battery- Doesn't last long, plan-------------Take you 110 cord, or plan
-----------route during fuel stop.---------------route when parked.

Controls- Moving pointer---------------------gloves-got use to it a little.
-----------w/ button-easy??--------------------remote- wife can change route
----------------------------------------------------while I focus on driving.

Memory- Expensive!--------------------------Cheeeep! can load the
----------------------------------------------------Whole World!

Accessory- Got-em------------------------------Comming soon, be patient!

Granted this is my first road gps, but I like the latest Tech.
I spent a month laying in bed debating the two & settled for the 2610.
If it only had about an hour of battery time to plan a route change during a lunch stop.
But my backup map can be used for that. Or if the GPS breaks or stolen.

This topic is almost as bad as deciding if you REALY want to get married!

Love my Wife!!!!!!!!
DangerousDan

·
Registered
788 Posts
If you want the defintive comparison betweem the SPIII and the 2610, look at the link Corbitt799 has suggested.

This review, is the most comprehensive review I've seen on the subject.

When downloading maps, the USB is amazingly faster than the serial port. Same goes for tracks and/or a waypoint list.

The map redraw speed on the 2610 is far superior to the SPIII.

The screen is also more visible than the SPIII.

It then begs the question, is the SPIII not good enough. Of course the SPIII is good enough, but the 2610 is better.

http://gpsinformation.net/sp26xx/sp2610rev.html

·
Registered
296 Posts
Go for the 2610!

I recently upgraded from the SP III to the 2610, and have not regretted it for a moment! I really like the smaller physical size while retaining the same display size, lighter weight, faster processor, cheaper memory, better menu layout, integrated antenna, single cord, auto-on with vehicle power, touch screen...

Haven't found anything about the 2610 that makes me wish for the SP III. If I were just getting my first gps, and had not heard about the 2610, I might settle for the SP III. Once I knew about the 2610, I probably wouldn't be happy unitl I owned one.

I'm working on a power cord/audio feed for the 1800, but that won't be any problem for me. I own a Kennedy Technologies GPSet, so should be able to splice into that. The mount for the GPS itself is the only thing holding me up right now.

IMHO, $60 is definitely worth it to get what I believe to be the best GPS available now for both the cage and the 1800.

RM

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Hands Down....

....If I were making a purchased now I would go with the 2610. However I have the SPIII and would sure not trade it to move up (especially since I have all the bells/whistles, mounts, and cords for the SPIII).

Couple of comments:
1. The batteries in the SPIII will last about 6 hours; since I primarily use the SPIII in my car or on my bike where it is plugged into the 12V, the batteries will last me several days on a trip. I use NI-MH AA batteries in my digital camera, SPIII, Sony MD player and always carry about 14 extra ones and charger with me. My charger can chage from 12V or 110V, so easy to keep them all charged up when traveling. So, I always have power for my SPIII whther on the bike or off.

2. As of serial and USB, USB is much, much faster. With the SPIII you use USB to download maps from the computer to the card reader and then insert it into the GPS. I have a 128M and 64M card and that serves me well. I have CO, WY, MT, most of ND, most of SD, NM, AZ, NV, and ID on the 128M that I keep in most of the time for my riding out here. If I'm going to other locs, I just load them on to the 64M card and I am in business. Plus, if I need other areas I can always plug my laptop (which I take with me on big trips -- fits nicely in the trunk) into the GPS and have them all. I have found that I generally do not transfer routes from Mapsource to the GPS and generally work with creating routes on the GPS itself (usually while on battery power).

All that being said, however, I'd go with the 2610 if buying now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts