GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has spliced the audio outputs of their Garmin GPS to the outputs of their iPod and connected it into the aux jack on their Wings - this way you hear both the GPS output and the iPod - wonder if this is a workable solution to the iPod/GPS Aux input question. I have the Garmin 2820 and iPod Nano, but it shouldn't matter what models you have.

Can anyone comment on this apparent cheap workaround.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what I am proposing is free

Yes, the cellset is the plug and play answer, but my proposal is pretty much free

·
Registered
124 Posts
I spliced a Gamin and a XM radio into the AUX input, and the sound quality of the XM was drastically reduced when both units were powered on, not only when the Garmin spoke. Reading up at the Kennedy Cell Set site confirmed my problem was not an isolated one. Adding the Kennedy module corrected the problem completely, and it's a plug and play installation.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I guess I will have to bite the bullet and buy the Kennedy solution(s). I was under the impression that I would need the AuxSwitdhSet2, not the cellset (to use with the bike's Aux line).

I thought if I wanted to connect the 2820's bluetooth cell phone mic I then need the cellset mic as well (use with Intercomm line).

All this because the integrated GPS on the Wing does not download routes.....

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The parts you need depend on what features you want to use on the 2820 and how you want to hear the voice prompts.

If you just want to connect the music/voice output from the unit to the AUX input in conjunction with your iPod, then the AuxSwitchSet system is all you'll need (in addition to a new Garmin power cable to wire it to the bike). The prompts/music will only be available when the AUX input is selected on the radio.

If you want to hear the prompts over any selected audio source, you'll need to connect it to the intercom system which will require a SingleSet system.

If you want to use the cellphone as well, you'll need a full-blown CellSet system.

You can see some of the connection options for the 2820 on this page.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bought my Kennedy Cellset directly from Kennedy. I told them what I was trying to achive, and the set me up with the right items. I had them in less than a week.

http://www.cellset.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts