GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok You all, I was just woundering under what conditions you chuse to Split Lanes and what do you look for as possable dangerous situations when doing so?
I live in the SF Bay Area in Ca and I rutenly Split lanes [Bad Traffic Here]
And I watch the car Body language not just the 2 lanes on either side of me, unusual movement By driver and passanger and the side mirrior views in cars.
When I ride with others I am generaly not allowed to lead in Lane Splitting situations, it seems I don't require much room on either side of my Wing and I am not consitered to be traveling to fast just don't need much room.

Al

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
In Oregon, lane splitting will get you a new sweater

its called a 'pull-over'.......

And OR will collect some of them thar 'turist dollahs'

It is illegal in OR

·
Registered
35 Posts
Out of all the posts I have read, Gary Smith's was the best. I hope he doesn't mind me repeating it here:

"The issue of lane splitting is a "perception" and not a tangible issue, nor a "bad habit." By that I mean there are no accident statistics to back up the perception of real danger. I worked on the LAPD for 23 years, much of which was in traffic enforcement and in the motorcycle industry for another 20 years. I have ridden the freeways and streets on a motorcycle for all of those years. During all that time I can count the number of accidents on one hand that were actually caused by lane splitting. While it is true that in California there is NO law against riding between lanes, there is a law that controls the speed of any vehicle in the highways. Another law, however, prohibits changing lanes unless it is safe to do so. If you don't look before you leap and hit a guy on a motorcycle, is it the motorcyclist's fault? An experienced rider, using common sense speed, can split lanes with reasonable safety. Those who split lanes at an unreasonable speed should be cited for speeding. I will not repeat what is said in the article by Art Friedman, but what he says is true. In my observation of the subject, the main reason for the objections to splitting lanes is ..... envy. Many people, who don't ride, don't like it when you ride by them between lanes while they sit, stuck in traffic. Most of them don't like motorcycles in any event. Alan is a good example of the rest of the world regarding motorcycles and traffic. They eliminate some of the jam by moving through the traffic and lessening the jam. We, here in the USA, are the only country I know of that doesn't allow motorcycles and motorbikes to infiltrate traffic. The concept of "we should all wait our turn" is ingrained into us from childhood. Those who are startled by a motorcycle passing between the lanes on the freeway aren't, IMO, paying as much attention to what is going on around them as they should. Those who create a hazard for the lane splitter by swerving in their path or opening a door, are guilty of a criminal act. Bottom line here in CA is that, without the ability for the CHP on motorcycles to infiltrate traffic on a call, they would be handicapped. The CHP here in CA supported the efforts to keep the ability to split lanes available to all. Gary Smith"

·
Registered
385 Posts
Lane Splitting

Ric,

Thanks. Saved me a lot of time in a response. One story, since we have the HOV lanes here in CA that allow motorcycles, I was enroute to work a few years ago on my Wing. The HOV lane was just about as full as the rest of the freeway and I was passing some vehicles on the right between the cars and the double-double lines. This particular freeway has a very wide HOV lane and there was about 4 feet between the cars and the lines. I was very careful not to go over the double lines or even on them. And, of all places to split lanes, this is the safest because it is illegal for cars to cross in or out of the lane over the double lines. I got pulled over by a CHP motor cop (who almost got himself killed while trying to pull me over to the far right shoulder). He told me I was passing over the double lines. I told him that was not true and that I didn't ever touch a line. He then said it was illegal to pass another car in the HOV lane. Now, I worked traffic for over 20 years and knew that was not the case. When I showed him my retired police ID, he changed his tune. He said he would givem me a "warning" this time. I asked how I could be warned for doing something that is not illegal. He huffed and puffed and we parted. I later called the CHP office nearby and varified my information with a Sgt. there. My point is, there are a lot of cops out there who might, just might, take advantage of your lack of knowledge of the laws of your state. Know your traffic laws and obey them and you won't get into trouble, even while splitting lanes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the story Gary, and I would be able to believe that an officer would listen to me too if it weren't for the part about the retired LEO badge. My Brother-In-Law is a retired LEO and he gets away with much that I would be penalized for.

I'm afraid that the civilian public is at the mercy of the officer on scene more than we would like to admit. Thankfully there are many good and honest people in the rank and file of the individual law enforcement agencies.

But, get an officer to agree with me that he is mistaken about the law he just stopped me for!! I believe I will just try to very politely ease out of the situation as painlessly as possible.

Badge or not don't try what you did in CAL in Southern Louisiana. There won't be an arguement, you'll just get to meet your new roomate Bubba.

Gordon :lol:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
if i tried tp split lanes here, a huge suv with 4 snowmobiles on a trailer and illinois plates on would run me over getting to his cabin in the wisconsin north.

i wouldnt even consider it, even if my goldwing fit. i have seen folks get run in the ditch even when traffic is dead stopped and someone took the shoulder to get to the next exit.

loren

·
Registered
676 Posts
Here is how I lane split in Calif.
1. Try to avoid lane splitting if traffic is moving at 30 mph @ up.
2. Try to limit passing speed to 5-10 mph faster than moving traffic.
3. Only split traffic between left 2 lanes.
4. Watch out for staggered traffic where cage has opportunity to change
lanes. May be safer when cars are side by side.
5. Watch out for truck mirrors. They are often same height as wing.
This would be considered extremely conservative lane splitting practice. In fact you would have to keep an eye out for much faster bikes coming up behind you. Most lane splitters are getting away with much higher speeds. This is fast enough for me on the wing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts