GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

FEDEX says my new spoiler and luggage rack will be here today. Might have to goof off tomorrow and install.

I've got to quit visiting Hal's site.....credit card plastic is starting to melt.

Question is: which should go on first or does it really matter?

I know measure thrice...drill once.

Rick
Tuscaloosa, AL
04 Candy Red

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sequence of install

Once you get the spoiler installed you may like the look of it so much you opt to not put the rack on. that is what happened to me. I am rack-less but love the look with spoiler.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Rik,

Good luck with your install. If you asked what you should do with your "luggage rack", I would tell you. But since you did not ask. I will not profer my opinion....

Bulldog

·
Registered
994 Posts
Which ever order you choose to install you will have remove the trunk inner liner. While you are in there I suggest you install a run/brake kit for the spoiler, a trunk power socket and trunk light. I went with the E/C products and am very happy with them. All plug n play. You can get them from Hal or E/C.

There have been many posts on installation, especially location of the power socket. Do some searching on prior posts. If you can't find them send me a PM or Email and I will send some links.

There also are past posts about installing spacers for the rack - if you choose to install it. I used saran wrap and body filler to fill the space under the rack between the trunk and inner liner.

Also I remember a post or two about a few of the phillips screws being longer than the others and you have to be carefull about re-installing the liner. Don't want to dimple the top of the trunk. I don't remember having any problems but maybe I was just lucky. I usually try to keep parts (screws) organized as I disassemble.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Hi Rick,
As the others have said, "the spoiler first".
I have been going through this with a friend of mine recently, and please don't misunderstand what I'm going to say here, but for the life of me I just can't understand why anyone would take the chance of damaging the trunk lid with a rack. I say this only because of the number of reports and the load limits restrictions. I suppose if the only thing a person was going to carry was a wet beach towel they would be okay, but I think we all had thought originally that there was a larger carry capacity of the rack. There may be others that feel differently, but for the price of replacement plastic you may want to give it some more thought.
Again let me say this is just food for thought. As the Dawg would say "If you like it, I love it"!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Trunk Lid Jitters

When I bought my 1800, I had the dealer put on the Kurky flat rack instead of the spoiler, going for function rather than decoration.

Don't get me wrong, a spoiler with a tail/brake light is a good idea. I previously had one with a brake modulator that I thought was worth while.

In the year since getting the Black Pearl, we have taken a lot of trips, and in some cases have used the luggage rack. I hold myself to 12 pounds for the bag and its contents and have not had a problem.

Still, I am nervous about the trunk cracking. When I installed the star washers on the 1500 rack, I put a small crack in the trunk and now I am running NO STAR WASHERS on the 1800.

The above is just my brain dump on the subject. If I had to make a choice between the spoiler and rack, I'd go for the luggage rack with a LED modulated mounted under the rear bar.

ClosetChef, consider this a product idea. Start out with just the brake lite/modulator for the hundreds of us that have the Kurky flat aluminum rack.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I've had a tubular rack on Rio for over two years, with no problems in cracking. I have the Kuryakyn tail bag and use it to carry my foul weather gear and differenct jackets when I'm going to be in varying weather conditions. Never put more than 10 lbs in there, and you should never have a problem. I opted for the tubular because I didn't like the looks of the massive Kuryakyn rack. I have noticed some chrome being worn off by the bag, so may to replace the rack in a few years.

·
Registered
156 Posts
trunk lid

I have a machinist friend who has offered to put a thin stainless plate under the trunk lid to reinforce it. I have the Kury rack and the spoiler and have carried up to 20 pounds or so there with no problems so far. Will such a plate avoid cracking problems, or would it just be a waste of time?

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
You may already have the goodies installed, If not these pics might help:

http://home.comcast.net/~ridetolive1/ws ... 55506.html

There are dimples inside the lid for the spoiler and HONDA rack, but NOT other racks, so I put the spoiler on then covered the deck with tape. I put my BBP rack where I wanted it and marked around the posts. Start drilling with a bit smaller than you need and work your way up.

Have fun...

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Hey Rev

The logic of the plate between the inner and outer lids is to transfer
some of the stress from the outer lid to the inner lid lwhich in turn
is the one that rides on the gasket of the trunk. Using a metal washer
just touches a few places, but makes more contact with deflection.

May I suggest using a larger (3 inch dia) piece of packing foam between
the two? There is about an eighth inch of clearance between the two,
and that space filled with some foam 'washers' will fill the voids. I
used the foam the rack came wrapped in, and its been three years
and 36000 miles, no stress marks.

That, along with the starr or pyramid washers under the rack feet is
about all you can do to spread the load over a larger area.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I really like my spoiler.

I added a modualtor for the LED spoiler light. flashes 3 times then ON solid

1 - 15 of 15 Posts