GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of taking advantage of Hal's March sale. I would like a spoiler for my candy orange beast. My fear is the installation. My dealer wants $70.00. If I do it my self, I am worried about messing up the trunk lid somehow. I am told the trunk lid is VERY expensive.

On a 1 to 10 scale how much risk of damage to the lid is there? 10 being the most risk.

Does anyone have a bad story about this instal?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Dog,

I have installed two, with no problems. Take your time, measure twice, read instructions 3 times and install. Save your $70 bucks, unless you have absolutely no confidence in your ability.

It is an easy install, and when you are done, you are going to ask yourself, "what was I so worried about"?

Let us know how you make out.

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I agree

Dog, I agree with the Bull Dog. I did mine (first) and then did one for a friend that was afraid of doing it. No problem at all. Measure/check/measure/check. Use small bits at first, then work up to the larger bit (they like to pull through fast).

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can do it

Drum, I'll give this task a 4. The spoiler comes with a paper template (and instructions), to locate the holes you need to drill. Just use a small drill bit frist and check for proper centering. If there off a little just apply a little side pressure to the small drill bit to center the hole and finish drilling with the larger proper size drill bit.

You do need to remove the inner panel of the trunk lid to gain access etc, but you should be done in less the an hour.

Arnie
Orange 02

G

·
You can do this yourself. It is scary; not hard.

1. Note that there are two holes to drill on one side, and three on the other, although the template used for both sides is the same (showing three holes). One side has a hole for the wiring, which the other side doesn't.

2. Apply masking tape to the area you are going to drill, to lessen chance of lid cracking around drilled hole.

3. Start with smaller drill bits, as others have stated.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like it is not to bad a job, which is what I needed to hear.
This board is always helpful. :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Drum Dog!

Check twice before you use the drill.
The template I recived with the spoiler was copied and out of scale. If I had used that template I would have messed it up.
There are marks on the inside of the trunklid if you take a close look. I followed the marks and ended up right.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I'm happy to see this thread.I took advantage of the sale and ordered a spoiler yestrerday.
Installing it will be one of the first things I do when I get home in a couple of weeks

·
Registered
287 Posts
Then when you have it fitted, buy the conversion from E/C :yes: and use it as a brake and running light. :yes2:
Happy Saint Patricks Day. :luck:

:capwin: :rw1: :beer8:

·
Registered
14 Posts
spoiler sale

Is the sale price of the spoiler lower than usual. Someone implied that Hal was running a March special on the spoiler, but I did not see it in his specials. Nonetheless, It is still a great price. I was just wondering if the price is lower is you call direct to Hal.
Thanks,
Jerry Pare'

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go to the on line store then click on coupon. It has the March sale info. there. Hall is offering 20% off his low prices for Honda line accessories.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it is now ordered and so is the EC run brake harness.

:D

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
As someone stated in this thread. Lift the lid, remove inner lining look real close at the inside of lid you will see where to drill. Use a 3/8 in drill bit, I use a new bit so I know it is sharp. This is how most Honda guys do it, my dealer from Storm Lake honda showed me the procedure on 2 bikes he did. My spoiler had to be shipped as it accidently might have became installed on a demo. :) The good news is, Larry from Storm Lake always takes great care of his customers.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Here is a photo of the template on my wing trunk lid.

I used tape to hold it there while I drilled the holes.

Read the directions first!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you need to drill from the inside of the trunk out?
I only see 2 holes to drill is that all it takes?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
There are a total of 5 holes to drill. The picture of the template isn't close up enough to tell but you need two holes on each side and a third on one side only for the wiring to go through. Just be sure to read the template carefully and only drill the third hole on the side it is needed. Its been over a year since I installed mine so I can't remember which side it is. It took me less than an hour start to finish and I'd give it a 3 or 4 on a 1-10 scale of difficulty.
The two large holes you see on the template are for alignment purposes with some round circles on your inner trunk lid. The three X marks are your drill points. In answer to your other question the drilling is done from the inside out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts