GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking advantage of the holiday sale at HDL and I ordered a lighted trunk spoiler and a basic backoff brake module (not the xp or the wobbler). The two items should be delivered sometime this week.

I found a usefull topic on this board that describes how to hook up the backoff module and the pics and procedure for that look very clear.

What about the lighted trunk spoiler? I know I am going to drill some holes and the spoiler comes with a template so that should be ok once I get the nerve to start drilling.

I plan to hook the spoiler up as a plain brake light (no running light). What do the wire ends of the spoiler light look like? Is it a connector that I just plug into the GL harness somewhere, or will I have to cut some wires and splice into the GL wire harness (like with the backoff module)?

I know the spoiler should come with some installation directions, but before it comes I want to get a feel for how complicated the wiring is going to be and if I need to get some connectors at the local auto parts store.

So, any other words of wisdom when installing the spoiler?

Cheers. :)

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Just follow the instructions...they are good for an OEM part. The wiring will be in the trunk lid allready...just be sure to get the right one (both are 2 pin plugs). Good luck!

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Tim.. i installed the trunk spoiler on my 05 CBC GL1800... its not hard really... just read ALL the instructions BEFORE starting... a few tips I can offer... tape off your trunk lid to prevent any accidential scratching..and cover your saddle bags to prevent scratches in case you drop something while doing the install... a second pair of hands will help when actually doing the install of the spoiler to the trunk lid... note how the screws are removed from the inner trunk lid.. a couple of them are longer.... thus if installed in the wrong place it will make a dimple on the top of the lid.. also buy a stepped drill for drilling the holes...(sears , home depot or lowes has them) it will drill MUCH CLEANER holes ... and remember on one side 3 holes are necessary.. (the extra one is for the wiring).. on the other side only TWO holes ..

take your time... and you will do fine... and I know you will like the looks of the spoiler when finished installing it.........

cosmic

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
To add to Cosmics advice: the 4 that hold the latches to the lid are the long ones...the head is also different so easy to figure them out.

·
Registered
911 Posts
hi..Lewis and Cosmic covered it all...it's no big deal...just did mine a couple of months ago...3 holes on left (one for wire) and 2 on the right...the supplied template didn't line up with the tiny dimple marks on the underside of the trunk so I tossed the template and drilled the marks...lined up fine...and they really finish the look of the bike !!!....whole thing took about an hour...good luck...take your time...don't rush....ride safe

Scott

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cabernet Red 06 said:
...the supplied template didn't line up with the tiny dimple marks on the underside of the trunk so I tossed the template and drilled the marks...
Ok, I can see that this is going to be exciting job. :22yikes:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Since I'm going to be installing one soon myself, please tell me you don't have to remove the lid before you drill. It stays hinged to the lower part of the trunk, right?

Dep

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Yes, yes, to the use of a step drill. Looks like this

Also note the you drill three holes on one side and only two on the other. Double check a couple of times to make sure which side is which.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thanks Don. I thought it would stay put, but wanted to be sure.

Tim, I'll look forward to your pictures.

Dep

·
Registered
244 Posts
A couple of additional comments that might help having done this to my 06. I believe earlier models were the same. When you put the templates in place, inside the lid, rub over the marked holes with you fingers and you'll find little moulded pimples on the inside of the trunk lid. In other words the centers are already marked, but they're not easy to find.

The other piece of advice I have is to make absolutely sure you have the templates the right way round. It's pretty obvious once you have the spoiler in your hand but on one side you're going to drill two holes and the other side three holes (one for the light wires).

As another poster advised... use a step drill. I struggled on for a few years with ordinary drills before getting a step drill... talk about the right tool for the job... it's like a hot knife through butter.

Regards,

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Scott, Don, C.J. & Dave,

Thanks for the added wisdom.

cosmic_chariot said:
... tape off your trunk lid to prevent any accidential scratching..
Cosmic, What kind of tape did you use to tape off the trunk lid? It must've been something that's easy to peel off without leaving any marks.

If I accidentally drill a few extra holes I will fill them in with leftover stuffing and cranberry sauce! :lol:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Tim..i used the blue painters tape.. it comes off easy ... but it does
protect from those accidential scratches... and if you are like me.. i just
HATE scratches on my bike.....

cosmic

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's cake

I just instaled mine yesterday. Took about half an hour and 1 beer.

It was cake.

·
Registered
755 Posts
One tip about the step drill. While it is absolutely the right thing to use, put a piece of electrical tape above the last step you need as a visual reference so that you don't go one step too far. It is real hard to glue the plastic shavings back into the hole! :wink:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Spoiler

Great tips by everyone. One final tip, the dimple on the inside of the trunk lid which will match the template are dimpled out rather than sunken. This will make it difficult to place the drill on exactly the right spot. I got out a sharp wood chisel and the eased the little dimple flat. That way I could get the drill bit on the exact right spot without having the drill bit walk.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts