GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the spoiler on my trunk without hardly any problems.

Boy, those dimples are much smaller then I expected.

It turmed out to be a little difficult to push the grommet for the cable through my newly drilled 11.11 mm hole, but after some struggling it went through ok.

Pix are up on my web site.

http://www.members.aol.com/wattim/mcjournal/spoiler

Thanks again to everyone who gave me great advice on the installation!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I have been thinking about doing this. Pics will be great help. :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Nice job Katchunk.

I feel a lot better about trying mine now. I think I'll hit Home Depot for the step drill.

Is yours hooked up as a brake light only?

Thanks for posting.
Dep

·
Registered
14 Posts
Spoiler Installed!

You did good! You are now becoming a subject matter expert!!

Very nice job..

What the next project?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dep said:
Is yours hooked up as a brake light only?
Yes that's right. If you want it to work as a combo running/brake light you need to buy an additional harness, though I would think you could splice it in youself without the harness.

Poldawg said:
What the next project?
Next I want to hook up a back off brake modulator. There was a good post with pictures on how to do this a while back that looked very informative. I hooked up a backoff brake modulator on my Volusia a few years ago and I thought it was very effective at getting you noticed when you tap the brakes.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Hey Tim, did you disconnect your battery cable before hooking up the light? I see on the other site the guys says to disconnect.

Dep

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dep said:
Hey Tim, did you disconnect your battery cable before hooking up the light? I see on the other site the guys says to disconnect.

Dep
The instructions state to do this ... but I did not. :eek:

Practically the last thing to do is to plug the light cable into the harness, so I figured that as long as I was carefull I wouldnt need to unplug the battery.

Warning: Professional driver on a closed coarse. Results may vary.

·
Registered
194 Posts
techdude2000 said:
Nice job!, here's a link to another install just in case anyone else is thinking about this. It has lots of pics, it was helpful when I did mine. :D

http://www.johnmoretti.com/goldwing.html
That is how I did mine with my good arm in a cast. The only scary part is drill the holes. The part that took the longes was making sure the template was perfect. I must have checked it 10 times before I put a drill to it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I suggest that you might want to put spacers in between the outer trunk and inside liner, just enough to fill that little gap between the two.
It could prevent the cracking that some experience on their outer trunk skin. I gooped several hard plastic one inch washers in there, prior to assembly. Less compression stress on the tupperware, when you tighten up the mounting hardware.
Ya know what I mean?

Mac

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MAC wrote:
I suggest that you might want to put spacers in between the outer trunk and inside liner, just enough to fill that little gap between the two.
Thats sounds like a good idea. How did you get the washers to stay put as you installed the liner. Did you glue the washers in-place somehow, then insert the screws one by one?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I made plastic washers from some plactic containers. ( If I remember correctly), until I had the right thickness required and gooped them together after I drilled the holes in them, then gooped them in place so the holes lined up.
And guess what! Just by luck ( and definately not because the small amount of functioning gray matter in my noggen), it all went together, slicker then a booger on a rosters lip. :shock: :eek: :lol:

No stress cracks around the trunk rack legs or the spoiler mounting area.
Been there for three years now.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I just recieved my spoiler and running/brake harness, some great ideas! That's what this site is all about. Thanks

·
Registered
927 Posts
On the instructions that came with my Honda Rear Spoiler it indicates it is attached to the trunk lid only. There is no need to glue spacers between the trunk lid and the inner lid as you should when installing a Big Bike Parts tubular luggage rack.
Ride Safe
Ken

1 - 15 of 15 Posts