GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the install directions and it says to drill the holes, question is after I drill the pilot hole from the bottom should I put some tape on the top side and drill from the top down. That way the holes will be straight.

I have installed a spoiler before but that was years ago at that time the holes were only close but useable. I read somwhere on one of these sites that some of the spoilers were supplied with bogus templates. I just orderd a spoiler for my 08 and was wondering is any of these bogus templates are still around? Of should I not even use the template and just drill where the nubs are??

TIA,
John

·
Registered
233 Posts
Put my spoiler on about 6 months ago on my 08 and the template was ok. I also drilled the holes from the bottom and then cleaned up the top a little. The base of the spoiler is big enough to cover that with no problem. Drilling from the bottom didn't seem to effect the way the screws went in reference the angle drilled. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The trunk is somewhat curved so drilling from one side may look straight but may come out a little crooked on the other side. Use a unibit, a one fluted stepped drill bit. The bit makes a perfect hole you can start from the back side and finish from the top side and will slightly chamfer the hole when done. It is a perfect bit for drilling plastic and the Tupperware the wing is made from. Test fit your holes as you open them up and if they are a little off you can walk the hole with a unibit. I always use plenty of masking tape when doing layout work on the painted surface; it protects and keeps drill bits tracking straight right off the bat.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
John,

The Bogus templates were from nearly a year ago. HDL held all their Spoiler orders at that time until they received the corrected template. If you just bought the spoiler there should not be a problem.

One way to be sure of proper alignment. Honda has already marked the trunk lid on the underside for a Spoiler. The template holes will line up with some small plastic "tips" that are molded into the trunk lid, these markings have always proven to be very accurate.

I was looking at the install directions and it says to drill the holes, question is after I drill the pilot hole from the bottom should I put some tape on the top side and drill from the top down. That way the holes will be straight
That is the way I did mine. Drilling that first hole was sure difficult to do! There is no going back! :shock:

A Step-drill is my preferred tool for drilling into the Tupperware on the Wing. Self tapping and no need to change bits as you enlarge the hole to its final size. Very easy to use.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So they make a metric stepped bit?

John,

The Bogus templates were from nearly a year ago. HDL held all their Spoiler orders at that time until they received the corrected template. If you just bought the spoiler there should not be a problem.

One way to be sure of proper alignment. Honda has already marked the trunk lid on the underside for a Spoiler. The template holes will line up with some small plastic "tips" that are molded into the trunk lid, these markings have always proven to be very accurate.

That is the way I did mine. Drilling that first hole was sure difficult to do! There is no going back! :shock:

A Step-drill is my preferred tool for drilling into the Tupperware on the Wing. Self tapping and no need to change bits as you enlarge the hole to its final size. Very easy to use.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
So they make a metric stepped bit?
I'm sure someone does, but I just used a SAE step-drill and drilled to the size closest to the metric size specified in the instructions.

Here is some info from a recent thread on this very subject:
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200881&highlight=Spoiler

If your set is in 1/32 increments, you should be okay, as there are 25.4 mm / inch (which would be the same as 1/25.4 increments). So choose the closest SAE bit you have and go ahead!

These are approximate (and simplified) sizings; each SAE size will be a freckle larger than the metric:
3mm = 4/32 = 1/8"
6mm = 8/32 = 1/4"
8mm = 10/32 = 5/16
11mm = 14/32 = 7/16
Thought I should add this warning about Step drill bits!

Creful with the step bits. They go through plastic REAL fast and you can make a MUCH BIGGER hole than you intended!!!

BTDT . . . .
I use a variable speed drill, makes it much easier to control the bit.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I'm sure someone does, but I just used a SAE step-drill and drilled to the size closest to the metric size specified in the instructions.

Here is some info from a recent thread on this very subject:
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200881&highlight=Spoiler

Thought I should add this warning about Step drill bits!

I use a variable speed drill, makes it much easier to control the bit.
I wrapped some electrical tape at the point that I wanted to stop drilling! It worked great!

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I was looking at the install directions and it says to drill the holes, question is after I drill the pilot hole from the bottom should I put some tape on the top side and drill from the top down. That way the holes will be straight.

I have installed a spoiler before but that was years ago at that time the holes were only close but useable. I read somwhere on one of these sites that some of the spoilers were supplied with bogus templates. I just orderd a spoiler for my 08 and was wondering is any of these bogus templates are still around? Of should I not even use the template and just drill where the nubs are??

TIA,
John
I recently received the spoiler for my '09. Inside the box were two templates. The original template attached to the installation instructions and then a separate template on Yellow paper. The Yellow template was folded up in a clear plastic bag. The plastic bag had a label on it that read:

DO NOT USE ORIGINAL TEMPLATE
CORRECT TEMPLATE INSIDE, ON YELLOW PAPER.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts