GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm ready to drill but it seems that the template is off a hair, would it be better just not to use the template and just drill where the nubs are at.

When I say a hair off I mean a hair, I feel that I would be more dead on w/o using the template.......

TIA,
John

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
How does the template compare to the mounting holes in the rack itself? The rack is probably the final judge, I'd go by it more than the template. Also, is the rack tubular? if so you might be able to tweak it slightly to get it to line up with the template.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I used the template and it went fine. The hard part is putting a drillbit to that beautiful paint on a new bike.

·
Registered
299 Posts
nubs

I drilled the nubs on my '05 and bolted on the Honda OEM Spoiler. Lined up perfectely according to my eyeball and it looks great...

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I drilled the nubs on my '05 and bolted on the Honda OEM Spoiler. Lined up perfectely according to my eyeball and it looks great...
Me too!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had done this before years back and used the templae which was way off (it may have been one of the bogus ones) I will just go by the numbs as that is where you want to be anyway. The template is extremely close and probably the onlt reason its not dead on is how I cut the circles out ( I just kept on tracing w/ a pen thill they fell out.

Nubs its is!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not mounting a rack, but a spoiler.

How does the template compare to the mounting holes in the rack itself? The rack is probably the final judge, I'd go by it more than the template. Also, is the rack tubular? if so you might be able to tweak it slightly to get it to line up with the template.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
A step bit worked wonders too! A perfectly round hole was, my results.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When i did my spoiler there was 2 templates included. one was on back of directions ( it wasnt even close to lining up with the nubs) & the other was in a bag saying to use this template, i believe it was a yellow template.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Spoiler Temp Plates

Just my two cents added here. I am considering putting a spoiler on my new 09 and saw on several sites, Wingstuff being the first in mind, that Honda had included a wrong template with some of their OEM spoilers. If you used the template, you just ruined your trunk cover and have to buy a new one. You might try calling Wingstuff don't have their number handy, and ask them if this is still an on going problem or if Honda has since included the right template.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
It was easy to me ...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I used the template it came out fine. Be sure you check everything carefully before you drill.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Felt OK as I have installed them before. Just use the numbs and it went fine. The template is a PITA and as before when I did it the template was a fuzz off. I guess for the first timers it does help as it shows you which nubs to select.

I just took a tiny felt marker and marked the nubs I wanted to use and then stabbed them with the awl and drilled. I guess install time was about 45 minutes. Also installed the Wingrider trunk support system which also was a breeze. FWIW I feel that this set up is extremely well made and should be very useful.

http://wingriderproducts.com/

JJR, let us know how you felt when you saw the drill bit break thru that beautiful paint. :eek:4:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bottom line dont use the template, just make sure what nubs you will be drilling.
Just my two cents added here. I am considering putting a spoiler on my new 09 and saw on several sites, Wingstuff being the first in mind, that Honda had included a wrong template with some of their OEM spoilers. If you used the template, you just ruined your trunk cover and have to buy a new one. You might try calling Wingstuff don't have their number handy, and ask them if this is still an on going problem or if Honda has since included the right template.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts