GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my trunk spoiler from Hal today and the instructions say to use 3mm, 6mm, and 11mm drill bits. I do not have any metric drill bits and do not see any available on the internet. I found a conversion chart that shows that an 1/8, 1/4, and 7/16 would be close. Is this correct? I break into a cold sweat just thinking about taking a drill to the trunk lid and want to be damn sure that I am drilling the right sized holes. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
my conversion for 11mm come out to 0.433"

7/16th of an inch = .4375 I'd say you were pretty safe.

It's not nearly as bad as it looks, and it will come out looking very good, I've done this twice, once on my original bike and again on my "replacement" bike :D

on the second bike, I just used a ¼" drill and a 11mm, the 11mm gives you a "little" slop for the bolt, the 7/16 should work fine, just give you a weeee-bit more slop

got any more questions, shoot me an e-mail

·
Registered
810 Posts
Pretty Easy Install

I agree, drilling into one's trunk can be a very nerve racking experience, but it's really an easy job.

Just take your time and when you drill any hole, start with a small but to get an accurate start hole going, then go up in steps, even if it takes a bit more time. It will give you a cleaner hole with less chance of a mistake.

The only location you might need to enlarge that hole a bit is there the wire feed comes from, otherwise, this is one of the easier add on's.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
spoiler

Just start with the smaller drill bit working ur way up to the larger one. use the template, but the little factory tits are impregnated in the inside of the trunk will be the correct location to begin drilling, hope this helps.
JD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts