GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to decide whether to install OEM luggage rack w/o spoiler. I think the spoiler is really a cosmetic item, and doesn't really add much to bike's visibility (More chrome than safety). I'd add a spoiler if it really enhanced safety. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just a thought, but the spoiler also has a third brake light in it along the entire flat area. Don't think it's entirely cosmetic! :)

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Spoiler Just Cosmetic?

Mark - I think the spoiler is a good safety feature addition and aside from the fact it does look great (IMO) also adds a higher brake light and if setup with the EC spoiler running light option makes it a great running light too. Consequently you can have significantly more amount of lights showing from the rear, which ain't all bad.

DaleC

·
Registered
315 Posts
spoiler

I added a flasher, so now when I apply the brakes the spoiler brake light flashes 7 times then stayes on bright. All I need to do is reapply the brakes as vehicles are coming up behind me and I get the flasher again. This I did for safety purposes. I also put the mirror directional flashers on the bike for turning. I think that is also a good safety feature. Paul

·
Registered
837 Posts
I agree. The spoiler adds to the brake lights and can add to the running lights.

I've been waiting for an excuse to try posting a picture or two.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Our new version of the spoiler run/brake harness will modulate the spoiler if you have one of the Kisan 200GW units. This saves you $80 for another part. This new version started shipping today.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Spoiler?

I think the spoiler looks great,but a 3rd light is not the purpose for a spoiler.A spoiler is to hold down the rear when running at high speeds.The trend now car makers put them on anything even cars that can't do 100,but they look good.I you will get more use out of the rack,that the way to go.The spoiler looks tuff,but I question its function.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I added the spoiler and wired it as a running light and brake light using the EC harness. I was convinced this was a safety "must have" after riding in very dense fog and following a GL1500 SE with this setup. The spoiler running light was the first visable light (and sometimes the only light), I could see on the rear of the GL1500 SE. The Spoiler LED lighting penetrates through the fog better and is more visable than the standard bulbs in the normal tail lights.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Highly recommended for high speed travel

The spoiler holds the rear end down imroving traction when speeds get in excess of 120mph or so. I wouldn't travel at that speed without one.

Oh yeah, it looks pretty good (even when going slow) too.
:lol:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Well Mark, seems most people disagree on the cosmetic thing .... I do too. I did the "safety" chrome thing on my previous wing and then gradually took most of it off, going almost back to stock. I was determined NOT to be slapdash about adding stuff to the OrangeCrush ... but, on my first group ride of the year - down to Deals Gap - I happened to ride behind another 1800 (yellow) with the spoiler. The extra brake light was very impressive ... so it is on my "gotta have one" list. It looks natural up there (unlike a rack) and adds more lights ... which everyone seems to feel is a REAL saftey feature.
just my $.02

·
Registered
29 Posts
Brake Light

I will have to agree with the masses on this one. The spoiler was one of the first items added to our bikes (mine and the Raven's). The times that I am not leading and following Raven, I really notice the difference of the spoiler brake light versus the bike's brake lights. The spoiler light is much, much brighter than the bike's. I think this is more than a cosmetic item and I think it would greatly add to your safety.

Ed
hihosilvr :lol: :D :sw1:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Concerning a spoiler helping at high speed: On a bike, is there really enough air flow over the spoiler for it to have much effect? This would be even more of a concern if you're riding with a passenger. The passenger would block most of the air flow to the spoiler.

This is all theoretical for me as I stay very close to the speed limits (and don't have a spoiler) but I would appreciate hearing from those who have some experience with the physics of air flow over a motorcycle.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
If the spoiler actually provided any significant downforce, it would be damaging the trunk. So of course it doesn't.

I am not the type to add stuff just for looks, but the spoiler really "finishes" the lines of the bike. The extra brakelight, especially when set up as a running light too, is a bonus.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I have both a spoiler and a Kuryakn trunk rack.Works for me. I think a trunk rack is more cosmetic than a spoiler.I never put more than a few pounds on it,and am carefull when closing the lid all the time.
**** :yw1:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
As if you haven't heard enough about this yet, I rode to Sturgis this year with a bunch of Harleys. On the morning we left Jackson Hole, it was very cold and foggy. The Harleys had me run point so they could follow my lights better, and I had the best headlights as well.

They commented when we stopped for breakfast how nice the spoiler running/brake light was and how visible it made me (especially with my Kisan modulator pulsing them).

They would never admit it out loud, but their actions spoke louder than words: it's nice to have a well-lit tail :lol:

·
Registered
979 Posts
:sw1: I have the Hodaline spoiler and Kury Akyn rack,The third brake light is more then cosmetic plus the spoiler really completes the bike, an 1800 without a spoiler just looks plain in my opinion, sorta like a car without hubcaps :sw1:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mark:

I would ditch the idea of the luggage rack and just go for the spoiler. I did both when i purchased the bike last year. I took off the Kury rack Saturday, now I have only the spoiler on. Folks are looking at the bike now that have ridden with me for the past year and are asking me if the spoilers new :)

The spoiler lights make one heck of a statement when you put on the brakes, you will be very visiable. The Kury rack really made the rearend of the bike look over sized, just my opinion and you know what opinions are like :)

-David

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Honda's rack is more for cosmetics than the spoiler. That little tiny thing that Honda calls a rack is too small for actual use. But then, since they have such a low load weight in the trunk, it is likely to be over loaded with what is inside and Honda did not want to encourage overloading with a usable rack.

I have the Big Bike rack and spoiler with running & brake with 4 time only flash then solid.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I had one on my 03 and I have one orderd for my 08 they look great on the wing and I also like that extra running and stop light.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts