GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question - installed my rear trunk spoiler this past weekend; thanks by the way to all who posted tips, pictures etc, really helped.
I also installed the wiring that allows the spoiler to act as a running light as well as the brake light.
Anyway it was sunny out, haven't seen that much in the northwest lately, so I set the running light maybe a little brighter than it could be. Although when applying the brake light it's as bright as the other rear brake lights, so there is a difference between the two.
Finally the question - can setting the running light to bright get anything to hot because the lights are on at all times the bike is running?? Or are the lights of such low power that I shouldn't worry. What do you think??
Thanks .. Paul :shrug:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yes, you can tone the light down by soldering a resistor in line with the running lights.

Unfortunately I can't give you the value of it. I'll leave that to the electrical engineers. I know a guy that did that, but he was an instrument and control technician and understood that stuff.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you have only two wires coming from the spoiler, than you will only get full brightness. You will need a tail light / brake light adapter kit which now will give you basically 3 wires. One will be tail light with a resister inline and the 2nd wire will a straight wire so that will be the brake light. EC or HAL or WS will have these kits.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Hey Paul,
I take it you installed a run/brake adapter kit, by what you said. Saying that, there may be a small inline screw, to adjust the intensity of the LED's. To use it as a third brake light, you may need to turn down the running light, that way the brake light will be more noticeable.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Hmmm....I didn't know you could adjust them.....

Mark

·
Registered
118 Posts
I believe these lights are powered by led s,,hardly any current. due you feel any heat when the lights have been on for awhile?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts