GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the spoiler now, NOT installed yet.

I thought the spoiler light coming on with the ' brake lights only ' would be a great idea. That way the spoiler is dark till you hit the brakes providing the people behind you with an obvious attention getter.

My wife thinks the EC running light / brake light conversion setup is better.

What do you guys run / use ?

I am now thinking of using a modulator only on the spoiler light when the brakes are applied. I am looking for some sort of visual difference between solid brake lights on the bags/trunk and flashing brake light in the spoiler may help the " clown on a cell phone "behind me SEE the brake lights.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I go with the Wife.

More lights means more visibility. I have heard that lots of lights can cause confusion, but I do not think that applies here. Maybe with several cop cars at the scene of an accident, or numerous fire trucks and ambulance at a fire scene.

Bulldog

·
Registered
58 Posts
Spoiler/Brake Lights

I have followed behind Gold Wings for many years and in all those years, I've only found one setup with flashing lights that was confusing. (The lights in question alternated from left to right on the trunk so that at a stop if you were behind the bike it was difficult to tell if they were turning or not.) Having said that, even that bike caused people to rivet their attention to the flashing lights. The lights that seemed to catch my attention best when stopping were the ones that flashed several times then went to a solid light with the flashing spoiler being best of all. JMO.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Tony - no question about it, get the E.C. harness. I had the spoiler and ran it for about 6 months as just a brake light and then purchased both the EC Spoiler Run/Brake harness AND the Turn Signal Conversion Kit and it's significantly improved in the way of rear end lighting. There is also a significant and very noticiable difference in lighting when you put on the brakes.

Keep in mind the rear spoiler is at the driver behind you eye level so that's wear you want the running lights plus you also want "running" lights so they see them too not only when your braking. There is a noticeable difference so don't be afraid they won't be able to tell the difference --- they'll see it!!

Get both lighting harnesses - it's cheap for both and a great safety addition,

DaleC

G

·
0 Posts
Gladiator said:
I run my spoiler light as a brake light only. I feel it gives better warning when the brakes are applied. JMO 8)
Me, too. For the same reason.

G

·
0 Posts
Gladiator said:
I run my spoiler light as a brake light only. I feel it gives better warning when the brakes are applied. JMO 8)
Me, too. For the same reason.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I run mine as a brake light only. I think the bike is visible enough while at steady speed, but, if I have to slow quickly I want the people behind me to wake up and pay attention. If I have to stop suddenly I will flick the brake lever a couple of times to get their attention.

I like the element of surprise.......Brake Only

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I run brake light only but added a back off flasher to it so that it pulses 3 times rests than pulses etc. I was riding behind a guy with this setup and it really got my attention so I copied it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I run my spoiler as a brake light only. I believe it offers a greater change in your lighting system when applying the brakes and better gets the attention of the motorist behind you. Also, I have the Kriss wig-wags on my upper (trunk) brake lights. If you're looking for a good attention getting, look at http://www.kriss.com/trunkflasher.htm :rw1:

G

·
0 Posts
Brake Light Only

Actually had the EC harness on hand, decided against using it, sold it.

IMO there's no right or wrong, just what's right for you.

Ron
'03 Black ABS

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
uneasyrider said:
I run brake light only but added a back off flasher to it so that it pulses 3 times rests than pulses etc. I was riding behind a guy with this setup and it really got my attention so I copied it.

me to, I run the backoff brakelight modulator, my wife was driving behind me after I installed it and she said it really gets your attention

The only complaint I got with the back off is the instructions are a little confusing. Fortunately, I know a little about electronics and was able to figure it out :shock:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Someday when I get my spoiler/light, I'm going to run it as a brake light only, same as cars/trucks. And, it will have the modulator.

M

·
0 Posts
DaleC,
Are those LED's in your rear lights??? If so, where did you get them and how was the install??

Thanks
PaMike

·
Registered
287 Posts
Tony in AZ,

I agree with your wife, the more lights you have at the rear the better. The first thing the cager will say when he knocks you off from behind God I did'nt see ya, The dope. I would also encourage wingers to wear White Helmets and High Visual Motorcycle Jackets. The better seen you are the Safer you are. :wink: :oops: :x

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I could have sworn, I read some place, somebody came out with a break light that gets taped to the back of your HELMET or your passengers Helmet :shock:
Did anyone else see this thing~~~~~darn-it, I got to learn to save stuff like that

·
Registered
990 Posts
jmac00: I saw that advertisement also a while ago. I thought that it looked dumb then as I do now. What next a strip of LEDs straped to one's rear end. And you know where the batteries go! :roll:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Gladiator said:
jmac00: I saw that advertisement also a while ago. I thought that it looked dumb then as I do now. What next a strip of LEDs straped to one's rear end. And you know where the batteries go! :roll:

BWHAHAHAHAHA, I don't think she would like that, BWHAHAHAHAHA

NEVERMIND :D :D :D this is getting to funny :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts