GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I'll be doing "the loop" today --- on the bike and then later in the Cooper.
It's not so bad; the sport bikes get out of the way for us if we start to tailgate them.
The bicycle riders are the biggest problem up here. And again, I apologize to Steve S, who's offspring rides a bicycle. But the yuppie Atlanta bicyclists do their best to cover the lanes in the mountains and create hazards; most of the cars pull to the side of the road.
I don't cross the double yellow and I'm trying to train Toyo not to either...

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I agree with most of what Bill says. The only tim I will cross double is when I can see far enough in front of me to where I know nobody is coming. And of course no cops around. But for the most part I drive alert, legal, considerate. Those damn bikers are gonna drive me crazy.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
I'll be doing "the loop" today --- on the bike and then later in the Cooper.
It's not so bad; the sport bikes get out of the way for us if we start to tailgate them.
The bicycle riders are the biggest problem up here. And again, I apologize to Steve S, who's offspring rides a bicycle. But the yuppie Atlanta bicyclists do their best to cover the lanes in the mountains and create hazards; most of the cars pull to the side of the road.
The bicyclists aren't the problem; they're not breaking the law or endangering anybody. It's the folks who use the public roads as racetracks who are the problem, putting everyone else on the road at risk. There are trackdays available for hotshots who want to test their skills, and those venues don't endanger the general public or cause them to enact anti-motorcycle legislation that affects all of us - not just the hooligans. Not to say I'm an angel - I enjoy a romp through a twisty road as much as anybody, but not to those extremes. Passing on blind corners, over the double yellow, and triple digit speeds in a 35 zone are just nuts. Save that crap for the track.
Toyo said:
The only tim I will cross double is when I can see far enough in front of me to where I know nobody is coming. And of course no cops around. But for the most part I drive alert, legal, considerate.
Is this like being just a little bit pregnant?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Toyo said:
I agree with most of what Bill says; I will cross double when I drive crazy.
Selective edit...

:wink:

Good; you're awake.
Wanna go ride stupidly? I'm going to leave Mirtes at home for a while to bond with the new dog.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Stu_O said:
[quote="Arn Butt Bill":31lj81kw]I'll be doing "the loop" today --- on the bike and then later in the Cooper.
The bicyclists aren't the problem; they're not breaking the law or endangering anybody. [/quote:31lj81kw]I'd say that some are breaking the law.
Around here they've begun to organize and they are intentionally riding 3 and 4 wide on very twisty sections of road; they're required by law to ride single-file on the right-hand side. They will further disrupt traffic by drifting to the left when you try to pass them and make you go extra wide.
I'm serious about this; I've overheard them talking about it. They're trying to cause wrecks.

We don't ride as ballistically as the squid crowd but we do ride with enthusiasm. And most of the citizens in the area pull off the road and wave; I talk to them at the gas pumps and they love the motorcycles.

You're up really early, Stu. And you're cranky today. What's the matter?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The reporter states that there would be a second series. Does anyone have the link to that?

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Highway use taxes on fuel pay for a good portion of highway maintenance. How much do the pedlers pay for use of the roads? In Oak Ridge, TN the city built a paved path along the lake specificly for walking and biking. The road next to it is still one of the worst places to get caught behind the pedlers. Luckily it is fairly short (~3 miles), but can carry heavy traffic at times.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
This story doesn't have much good to debate. I will say I am encouraged that they are specifying SPORT BIKES instead of just MOTORCYCLES.

When these riders commit suicide by running head on into a car with an innocent driver and the biker traumatizes the car driver and their passengers, that is just wrong.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm certain we are all guilty of breaking the law while riding the mountainous curves whenever we ride, but its just a matter if degree. These guys are just STUPID!!! Endangers everyone who drives/rides and as Y'all know ruins all motorcyclists reputations, which we really don"t need.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Blaming another segment of the population, such as bicyclists, doesn't seem to hold a lot of honest reflection. Yes, bicycles travel a lot slower then motorcycles, or cars for that matter, but extreme riding on public roads which caused these accidents can not be blamed on bicyclists.

This is not the only place this situation exists, the foothills between San Jose and the coast are filled with sport bike riders, most know their limits. I spent a week there a few years ago in a rental cage, after passing me, a Ducati could not make the blind turn, crossed the yellow line, and ran head on into an RV. He died at the scene.

If he had lived, I suspect he would blamed me for traveling so slow that he had no alternative (I was doing about 5 mph over the speed limit in a cage). There is no excuse, we have to live by the Clint Eastwood credo, "a man has got to know his limits" and not blame the rest of the world when we make mistakes.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Is law enforcement saying they are too stupid or just incompentant that they can't stop a known problem which reoccurs on a regular basis?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I guess some of you do not have to deal with bicycles riding 4 or 5 abreast going down the road. Just come over a hill or around a curve and see a road full of bicycles screwing around weaving back and forth taking up your full lane. Maybe then you will understand where some of us have problems with bicycles riding down the middle of the road. It is one thing to be on a straight road where you can see a country mile. Then it is another thing when your on real curvy and hilly roads having to deal with the same problem.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have to disagree with ABB on this one; bicyclists aren't anywhere near the problem the sportbikes are. Besides that, if a bicyclist runs headlong into us or a car at full speed, at the most we're going to have to wipe him off the windscreen. If a sportbiker does the same thing, the potential consequences are much worse for the target. That being said, like any group, a small number of folks with attitude can create an inaccurate image of the entire group. I can assure you that other bicyclists get onto those idiots purposely causing trouble anytime they can.
As a sometime bicyclist on those roads, I can tell you if they're bunching up, they might be doing it for defensive purposes; By taking the entire lane up, it actually discourages some of that behavior.
I don't ride a bicycle on the road any more in Georgia; it's not worth the risk. The further away from Atlanta you get, the more it seems the local good ol' boy sport is throwing something at or brushing bicyclists on the roads.
The cagers sure wouldn't move over yesterday. And I don't pass on a double yellow, so I had several slow sections behind cars. Buy hey, at least I was on the wing...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have NO use whatsoever for bicyclists who do not ride single file near the fog line as they are supposed to do. What really sets me off is when I do risk life and limb to pass them once then they pass me on the right at the next stop sign. That's when I want my corider to carry a water cannon. OK, that's my rant for the day.
That is one of the most wonderful things about being retired. I can stay away from areas those clowns on squids and pedal bikes frequent on the weekends.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
JP3 said:
This story doesn't have much good to debate. I will say I am encouraged that they are specifying SPORT BIKES instead of just MOTORCYCLES.
Yes, and they emphasized several times it was just a small number of them causing the problems. In fact the small clip showing Gold Wings showed them obeying the law. 8)

I like the pictured of Barney Fife in the Sheriff's office. :lol:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Just a comment about passing on the double yellow lines. The double yellows are put in places based on a lot of worse case conditions. Where I grew up, in Iowa, you were always passing on the yellow lines. All the farm equipment goes much slower than the normal traffic. If something is going slower it can be passed in a lot less space and time. Especially by something with the acceleration of a motorcycle. Another factor is the relative speeds of the vehicles. If I come up on a slow moving vehicle and do not have to slow to his speed, I can pass him in a very short distance as it does not take extra time or distance to accelerate beyond his speed. There are times when I pass in this fashion, that I am not in the other lane long enough for there to be any chance of something coming into the picture from the opposite direction. Once again, the no-passing zones have safety margins that are defined by worse case conditions. You are not necessarily driving in a n unsafe manner if you cross a double yellow line in some situations.
My opinion only of course. It would only be fair to warn all GL1800 riders that attempting to use acceleration in any way that would put you in danger, is taking the chance that nothing is going to fail at a critical time.
Of course, the YELLOW wings should just stay back there as we all know they just can't keep up. (This has been a direct intentional SHOT at Yellow Wing and Toyo just to see if they are awake.) :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts