GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put about 60 miles on today and when slowing through 35-45 mph I felt a little movement in the bars. I took my hands off and got a good wobble. The bike came with 250s and had a slight wobble that you couldn't feel until you took your hands off.

I put on Stones for the next 50,000 miles and never felt a wobble.

I have been running 36 psi in the Demon in order to get a better ride and will try higher pressures to see if the wobble goes away. If things don't get better, I'm going back to OEM Stones on the front. Still love the Kumho though!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Couple of things. I've had front end wobble caused by my almost worn out rear DSST 5000 CT. I replaced it and the wobble went away. Also, the Demon may run a little bumpy at first until it settles in. Cheers...:doorag:

·
Registered
973 Posts
1800wannabee,
Don't be so quick to put all the blame for the wobble on your tires. You stated you ran 50,000 miles with 'Stones so I can assume you have a bike with at least that many miles on it. When was the last time you checked the pre-load on your steering neck bearings? Checked the wheel bearings lately? How about the front fork tube bushings, fork springs, rear shock, rear swing arm bearings, etc? My point here is that the ubiquitous GL1800 deceleration wobble has been credited to many things besides just tires; so don’t get tunnel vision.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Are you saying that all that wore out the moment I replaced the front tire?
Though I'm not generally known for my sensitivity I did pick up on the sarcasm.

My point here is that the ubiquitous GL1800 deceleration wobble has been credited to many things besides just tires
You shouldn't read anything into my posts that isn't there and I stand by my earlier statement. Sometimes replacing one component, like a tire, can reveal a problem caused by another component. Go back to using 'stones if you want and if your wobble goes away then let me know how much you want for your Demon. If it doesn't, and it may not, you'll have to look for elsewhere the cause. Capice?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
On front tires

backward treads, bias, thinner tires, I tried wider (140) and even the new Cobra front....when all is said and done, STONE 709 work best

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Ron..I'm sorry you are feeling this wobble now..Why I can't say without checking a few things along the lines of what Mad Meteor suggested...

Having a sport demon on my bike and still being able to ride one handed without feeling anything different after installing my Demon,I'm wondering if like Mad Meteor suggests you have something else up with your bike..

Now I have heard of a tire being the culprit on many occasions causing what you are saying as well,So don't take suggestions as gospel Okay..

let me tell you this just to show you what I experienced on my bike..

I had pretty new tires on at the time,no cupping etc,just to set the stage here..
I never had a wobble with this bike and was on my third front tire since buying the bike,So I was pretty used to what the bike would or wasn't doing at that point..

I put things on my bike one at a time,I want to evaluate each part on it's own merits-don't matter to me how many times I take the bike apart,I like playing with my bikes..

So I decide to install Progressive springs..So I pull the forks,and flush out the old fluid and install new bushings/seals/fork oil...
As soon as I take the bike out on one of my favorite roads,I feel a front wobble?? WTH??
Remember I ride one handed a lot..

When I ordered the parts for the forks,I also ordered a set of All Balls bearings and a Kury fork brace too..

So back apart comes the forks to put in the Steering head bearings..
I put it all back together again,and I ride the same road as last test with the springs!
Well "no more wobble" completely gone..

So you so this is why I can agree with what Mad Meteor is trying to say.
Because all I did was add stiffer springs and a hidden flaw popped it's head up (weaker ball bearings) and now caused a wobble where there wasn't on before the springs were added..I too didn't think it didn't make sense at the time,But it sure did..

Look I'm not trying to say this is your issue here,Just that you might want to check your head bearings for proper torque,and see if that does anything one way or the other..

If nothing else,at least you'll know your head bearings are now torqued correctly with the mileage you have on the bike now,if you haven't checked them already??

How much tread is left on your rear tire?? any signs of anything out of round as you rotate the wheel on the center stand??

How was the Demon balanced??

Another thing I might suggest without doing anything to your bike is:
Ask a friend with a 1800 to swap front wheels with you for a test!This will tell you right away if your wobble goes away,and he then gets one on his bike-If he doesn't have one to start with that is?

BTW.If all else fails??
I'll second what Mad Meteor offered.I'll buy the demon from you if you find you want to go back to stones??

Again,Sorry you have this issue.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put another 300 miles on today and I think the tire and I are "bonding". It is quiet and smooth at 36 psi. I have gotten used to the amount of counter steer pressure it takes to turn at speed.

Thanks to Meteor and Rocky for pointing out that many factors come in to play in regards to the front end. Sorry about my smart a** response, Meteor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts