GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure it's the same on the tour/dct model, but man that sport mode is like adding a fuel tuner on a Hog. I was buzzing thru town on it and what a response. Probably eats some gas, but it's worth the fun factor...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just be careful taking off from a stop pisition and immediately turning left or right like at an intersection. It will surprise you in a bad way if you use too much throttle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
First time I used sport mode on my DCT I nearly ran through my front yard! Wasn’t expecting that touchy and torquey throttle! Sport mode is hoot on the DCT!

·
Registered
467 Posts
First time I used sport mode on my DCT I nearly ran through my front yard! Wasn’t expecting that touchy and torquey throttle! Sport mode is hoot on the DCT!
I was playing around with Sport mode on the way home from work yesterday. Almost launched myself into the car in front of me. Sport Mode is definitely NOT a good idea in stop and go traffic!

·
Registered
26 Posts
The first time I tried Sport was at a red light. Lesson learned: do NOT stay in your normal Wing relaxed upright riding position. While trying to keep my fingers on the steering bar when pushed backwards, I opened the throttle more and more :surprise:

·
Registered
578 Posts
No..this is a heavy under powered touring machine..not a sportbike...it amazes me that some think this bike is a fast motorcycle.
Might not be fast, but it has loads of torque. Yes, the front will definitely lift off the ground in sports mode, I accidentally did it one time from a stop light. Don't underestimate this bike.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Most times when I ride I come home on a back road where there is a half mile with no driveways or entrances.
1. Stop.
2. Place in Sport.
3. Push back against backrest.
4. Hold onto bars firmly.
5. Twist throttle.
6. Laugh like a little girl.
According to the owner's manual, you do not have to stop to change modes, just close the throttle. That is what I do. It is almost instantaneous.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Run Sport Mode 90% of time on my daily commute here in SoCal.
My first DCT was a 2012 VFR1200.
200 Pounds lighter with 50 more HP.
That bike would get in Sport Mode!!
155 MPH Top speed and got there QUICK!!
This DCT is somewhat tame in comparison.
I guess that is why I eat tires and fuel!!

·
Registered
19,227 Posts
And here is a good test on the new wing.....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Last thing the salesman said to me before I rode mine off the lot was "leave it in Tour mode for a few weeks to get used to it. Sport mode will lift the front end and run like a bat outta hell." He was not kidding and I am thankful I listened to him. First time in Sport mode was an adrenaline dump. Also thankful for TC because Sport mode + bumpy corner + my less-than-ideal throttle control = nothing good. TC saved me for sure.

Reactions: flevy1

·
Premium Member
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag TRiO
118 Posts
It's all relative :) Compared to my R1200GS Adventure (another touring machine) in sport mode, its fun, but tame in comparison. Sport mode certainly knocks it up a notch - and that is what is fun. It is like having multiple[le bikes in one.

Reactions: Glockjock
1 - 20 of 26 Posts