GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody tell me about this SPOT 1 and SPOT 2.
  • What is the difference between the two?
  • Is there a monthly charge?
  • A per occurance charge?
  • How long does the batteries last?
  • Will they send a signal if not in line of sight of a satellite?
  • Is there an app for a smart phone that does the same?
  • Does anyone have a used one they wish to sell?
Thanks

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Somebody tell me about this SPOT 1 and SPOT 2.
  • What is the difference between the two?
SPOT 2 is the newer model and has a few features the SPOT 1 does not have. I think the big difference is that on a SPOT 1 you have to remember to push the "OK" button once in a while and on the SPOT 2 it's automatic when you put it in "tracking" mode. You can see the differences on the SPOT website ("SPOT Overview" tab under "SPOT Hardware"). SPOT 1 is called the "Personal Tracker and SPOT2 is called GPS Messenger.

• Is there a monthly charge?
No, you pay an annual fee.

• A per occurance charge?
There is no per occurrence charge.

• How long does the batteries last?
I believe the batteries last a bit longer in the SPOT 1, but they will last a couple of months in a SPOT 2.
  • Will they send a signal if not in line of sight of a satellite?
They generally will not work indoors, in tunnels etc. They need a "clear view" of the sky to be completely reliable. Kind of like XM radio. If the SPOT device can't "see" a satellite, it will tell you and you can move to where it can see one. (Note: They do work from inside the front fairing pocket though.) I have my SPOT 2 on the right handle bar with a RAM mount so I can see the indicator lights and have easy access to the buttons.

• Is there an app for a smart phone that does the same?
There is an app for a smart phone called SPOT Connect.

• Does anyone have a used one they wish to sell?
Nope, sorry. I like mine. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Thanks
Responses above.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Battery life

I have a SPOT 2 and the above reply is "spot on" except I think the battery usage needs a bit of clarification.

The SPOT 2 can last nearly indefinately on a set of batteries (3 AAA) if in the OFF position. If you have the device on and set to "Track" (where it transmits coordinates every 10 or so minutes) then you can expect the SPOT 2 to last about 10 days of all day (12 hours) usage. The device will give you a warning when the batteries are getting low.

These times are using the pricey lithium AAA batteries which the manual for the device calls for.

I use to hang the SPOT 2 from my jacket, but the holder's hanger broke (fortunately I was at a gas station and not riding down the road). I now place the device face up in the left glove box and it works perfectly fine.

You can see my track from my 3 week ride out west on my blog here: http://robandmichelestravelblog-utah2011.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
There is a guy on here that has one ( HiYoSilver) try to PM him for info.
As John said, I have one and use it while on trips.

I bought it to give my family peace of mind while I travel. My wife can track my movements and know that things are ok as long as I'm moving. My brother likes to see how fast he can call me when I stop for the night. He once called before I got off the bike. :lol:

Since I only use my Spot I on trips I only change the batteries once a year. The yearly cost is around $150 for the tracking and emergency response option. Cheap cost for peace of mind.

As far as the cellphone apps go, how many times have you lost cell phone coverage? Especially in rural areas. That's how many times you will be without tracking and emergency help. Spot uses satellites not cellphone towers.

Here's a link to my Rockies -Gold trip in Sept. 2010.
http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=226708

PM me if you have other questions.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Garbage ! I had one for my boat. Huge usage fee and it only worked so far off shore. A good GPS will do the same thing if it has a personal emergency locator. Why do you need one ? Are you planing on being lost and need to be rescued ?
If you have a different brand or kind of personal locator you don't need a SPOT also. BTW, who plans on needing to be rescued? I certainly don't. I like having it for the peace of mind it gives me and the people who care about me. They can go to the SPOT website or Spotwalla and see my location at any time while I'm on a trip. Emergencies are never planned, but if I need help or 911 service for any reason, it's only a push button away. It may not be worth it to some people to have a SPOT device, but to me and a lot of others, it is. To each his own.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
How many tracking pages or options are there? ex. spotwalla etc.? User setup friendly?

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
How many tracking pages or options are there? ex. spotwalla etc.? User setup friendly?
There are two that I know of. There is the SPOT page (Find me spot) and Spotwalla. Both are easy to use. The Spotwalla site allows more tracking locations to be shown and stores them for longer. I can't remember the exact numbers, perhaps someone else knows.

·
Registered
674 Posts
These times are using the pricey lithium AAA batteries which the manual for the device calls for.
Can you use rechargeables?

I would suggest NI-MH or Lithium Ion. I would NOT recommend using Lithium Polymer (LIPO) technology due to the fire hazard...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Some of you may recall the tragic story concerning a rider named Donald Masters that died in Idaho a couple years ago. He had gone off the road and it was several days before being found. If only he had had some sort of tracking device...
I am one to prefer riding solo and for this reason I choose to use the Spot units. I never had any issues with my Spot 1 but decided to change out to the II when they went on sale at Best Buy. I'm looking forward to checking it out on my next LD ride.

Now if only the tracking 'bread crumbs' were 'variable'...

AG GL

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
I've had my Spot 2 for a couple of seasons, use it quite a bit, and go through 2 or 3 sets of batteries a year.

I got it for piece of mind for my wife. However, once I send a message that I'm starting a trip, my Dad and FIL are glued to their computers watching my (our) route.

When we go on a couple week trip, my wife puts a link on her Facebook page and when we hit the motel at night she has some sort of conversation about that day trip with a couple dozen of her friends.

All that plus the 911 calling makes it worth it to me.

One nice thing about Spot is that you can watch guys like the 'Ho Ho and see that they actually get up to speed in a corner ever now and then.

JMHO.

·
Administrator
3,843 Posts
Wingleader gave a very good response, but there are a couple of points that need clarification.

You asked "What is the difference between the two?"

The response was: SPOT 2 is the newer model and has a few features the SPOT 1 does not have. I think the big difference is that on a SPOT 1 you have to remember to push the "OK" button once in a while and on the SPOT 2 it's automatic when you put it in "tracking" mode. You can see the differences on the SPOT website ("SPOT Overview" tab under "SPOT Hardware"). SPOT 1 is called the "Personal Tracker and SPOT2 is called GPS Messenger.

Actually, SPOT 1 is also automatic when you put it in tracking mode, just like SPOT 2. It's all I ever use. Both SPOT 1 and SPOT 2 require you push the "OK" button if you want to manually send the location messages. Both of them have the automatic "tracking" feature that sends location messages every 10 minutes when in "tracking" mode. The difference is that if you desire to manually send an "OK" message with SPOT 1 it turns off the auto tracking feature and you have to restart the unit to put it back in tracking mode. With SPOT 2 you can have it in tracking mode and still manually send an "OK" message without disrupting the tracking mode.

Also, the signals from SPOT 2 are more reliable. The SPOT 2 sends a tracking location signal 3 times, whereas the SPOT 1 sends it only once. If you happen to be in a"shaded" area where the SPOT can't see the satellite when it sends the message, your location is not recorded with the SPOT 1. However, the SPOT 2 will send that location message two more times, and by then it may be able to see a satellite. There are not nearly as many "dropped" signals with the SPOT 2.

Battery life is much, much longer with the SPOT 1.

I have a SPOT 1 but am considering upgrading to a SPOT 2. I want the SPOT 2 so that I can manually send "OK" messages without disrupting the automatic "tracking" mode. I have a friend who is practically begging for my SPOT 1, so when the time comes I'll give it to him.

Now, one guy posted that the SPOT was garbage, had a huge usage fee, and wouldn't work offshore. He's dead wrong. I don't know what he had, but it wasn't a SPOT. The SPOT will work far, far offshore. I "think" my usage fee is like $99 annually. That's cheap for the peace of mind it provides.

Glen

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Rechargeables were not recommended. The SPOT 2 is a pretty hi-draw device compared to the SPOT 1. SPOT recommended using lithium batteries. I have been using the Energizer lithium batteris for 2 years now in my SPOT 2 with excellent results. http://www.energizer.com/products/lithium-batteries/Pages/high-tech-batteries.aspx

I get about 10 days (12 hour days) of service from them. I just carry a spare set with me. They are readily available at most stores/gas stations.

I would suggest NI-MH or Lithium Ion. I would NOT recommend using Lithium Polymer (LIPO) technology due to the fire hazard...

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Exactly right. The tracking capability is actually about a $50 service upcharge. That lets SPOT automatically submit positions every 10 or so minutes. Without that additional service, you just have to manuall press the "OK" button.

I use the auto tracking mode. When I get to a fuel station or a lunch stop, I press the "OK". This lets those following me know that my lack of movement is due to me getting gas or food.

When I reach my destination for the day, I use the "CUSTOM" button. It submits a message that I've reached my destination for the day.

It's a wonderful little device for allowing loved ones keep tabs on you and provides them peace of mind. :thumbup: $150/year is well worth it for me.

Wingleader gave a very good response, but there are a couple of points that need clarification.

You asked "What is the difference between the two?"

The response was: SPOT 2 is the newer model and has a few features the SPOT 1 does not have. I think the big difference is that on a SPOT 1 you have to remember to push the "OK" button once in a while and on the SPOT 2 it's automatic when you put it in "tracking" mode. You can see the differences on the SPOT website ("SPOT Overview" tab under "SPOT Hardware"). SPOT 1 is called the "Personal Tracker and SPOT2 is called GPS Messenger.

Actually, SPOT 1 is also automatic when you put it in tracking mode, just like SPOT 2. It's all I ever use. Both SPOT 1 and SPOT 2 require you push the "OK" button if you want to manually send the location messages. Both of them have the automatic "tracking" feature that sends location messages every 10 minutes when in "tracking" mode. The difference is that if you desire to manually send an "OK" message with SPOT 1 it turns off the auto tracking feature and you have to restart the unit to put it back in tracking mode. With SPOT 2 you can have it in tracking mode and still manually send an "OK" message without disrupting the tracking mode.

Also, the signals from SPOT 2 are more reliable. The SPOT 2 sends a tracking location signal 3 times, whereas the SPOT 1 sends it only once. If you happen to be in a"shaded" area where the SPOT can't see the satellite when it sends the message, your location is not recorded with the SPOT 1. However, the SPOT 2 will send that location message two more times, and by then it may be able to see a satellite. There are not nearly as many "dropped" signals with the SPOT 2.

Battery life is much, much longer with the SPOT 1.

I have a SPOT 1 but am considering upgrading to a SPOT 2. I want the SPOT 2 so that I can manually send "OK" messages without disrupting the automatic "tracking" mode. I have a friend who is practically begging for my SPOT 1, so when the time comes I'll give it to him.

Glen

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Garbage ! I had one for my boat. Huge usage fee and it only worked so far off shore. A good GPS will do the same thing if it has a personal emergency locator. Why do you need one ? Are you planing on being lost and need to be rescued ?
:roll:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Hey Eddie..., it's pretty easy. Heck, even I can figure it out. See my signature line... :thumbup:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
No. Spot recommends (on the Spot 2) Ultimate Lithium, and then tells you that when Spot says the batteries are toast, keep them around for other devices, because there's still lots of charge left in them..., just not enough to power Spot.

In my opinion, not having a power out let to let you hook directly into the bike's 12v is a short-coming of Spot..., but it's not that big a deal.

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like Garmin would have already come up with something like this on the Zumo. It is a great idea especially if you ride a lot without other bikes. I can see how it would help a wife/kids feel better about your trip if they arent going along on this one.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts