GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts
Are there any monthly fees associated with using this tech?
I checked into it a few months ago. I would have bought one if a yearly subscription was not required. From what I found it was about $200 a year, and about $150 a year if you caught it on sale.

Reactions: Micky Runey

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Ask Donald Masters if a Sar/Sat locator is worth it.

9 years ago I was on scene of a MC accident on Push Mountain, AR about 30 minutes from the nearest ambulance. No phone service there, we would have had to sent a rider down the mountain and some distance toward Mountain Home to get a signal. The rider had a Spot however and we pushed the SOS button. In 18 minutes a trauma helicopter whisked him up and headed off to a trauma center 100 miles away. We started down the mountain after the helicopter left. I had the rider's SPOT in my tank bag as I was listed as an emergency contact for his SPOT. As we neared Mountain Home my phone lit up. Spot CommCenter was calling me as they "saw" the Spot moving for 15-20 minutes and wanted someone to turn it off. I bought a Spot Tracker after that and the Donald Masters search.

Even if you cannot press SOS due to injury or death the Spot would show searchers where the Spot was located or went cold. I ride quite often alone and the SPOT expense is worth it to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts