GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for any suggestions.
Bullet Bob and I are going to Alaska later this summer. I currently use my cell phone with a free app for the wife to keep track of where I am. The wife figures if I am still moving every once in awhile I am OK. It gives her a little piece of mind. On our trip to AK I will not have cell service in a lot of places.
Myself and a few others on this board can be classified as tightwads. :grin2: Actually I have no problem with paying $150 for a Spot Tracker. BUT!!! I do have a problem paying them $200 a year for a service that I will only need three or four weeks out of the year most years.

Does anyone have a suggestion to a more economical solution? Any input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Myself and a few others on this board can be classified as tightwads. :grin2:
And a more true statement as never been said on any motorcycle message board!

Congrats on your & Bob's upcoming trip. Maybe you'll run into Ronnie up there somewhere. I do hope you'll let your friends back in the flat lands follow along with you two from our computers.

Dan

·
Registered
238 Posts
I bought a spot tracker for my Daughter and her Husband when they took a van trip last summer. The $350 was worth the peace of mind it gave me. Plus I could track where they were going and and watch from a satellite photos is real time. It was really cool and it would be a great way to keep up with you guys trip. I'd be willing to chip in $25 as long as you let us follow you on your trip. So there ya go! Sell rights to track and watch the adventure to pay for your spot!!

Sam

·
Administrator
4,587 Posts
Sam. Have you ever followed an ant on a sidewalk? :laugh: I'm afraid if someone was tracking us(me), that's what it would look like.

"Boomer, I think I missed my turn"
"Boomer, any idea what providence we're in?"
"Boomer, are we SUPPOSE to be going East?"

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I have a Spot but just bought the Garmin InReach Mini. Garmin has plans that are based on monthly billing which might work for you. I put the Garmin in my riding jack pocket and it works great even with the antenna close to my body. With the Spot it really needs to be pointe with the face to the sky for reliable connection. Also a bit larger than the Garmin so wouldn't work well in a jacket location.

I want it on me in case I need to hit the emergency SOS button.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Does that Garmin rely on satellite comms?

If you only want Emergency coverage can you use a EPIRB from a marine supply store?

Tightwads remember that your cell provider may charge you big bucks for using Canadian cell phone towers.

So I have a tightwad solution but it will require some work. Ham radio. No charge for service. Take the test, buy the gear and you can talk mighty distances and provide Automatic Position Reporting Service.

Reactions: cycledude

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Spot but just bought the Garmin InReach Mini. Garmin has plans that are based on monthly billing which might work for you. I put the Garmin in my riding jack pocket and it works great even with the antenna close to my body. With the Spot it really needs to be pointe with the face to the sky for reliable connection. Also a bit larger than the Garmin so wouldn't work well in a jacket location.

I want it on me in case I need to hit the emergency SOS button.
Thanks for the suggestion but still is a little pricey to buy.

Does that Garmin rely on satellite comms?

If you only want Emergency coverage can you use a EPIRB from a marine supply store?

Tightwads remember that your cell provider may charge you big bucks for using Canadian cell phone towers.

So I have a tightwad solution but it will require some work. Ham radio. No charge for service. Take the test, buy the gear and you can talk mighty distances and provide Automatic Position Reporting Service.

As of now the tightwad solution that I will most likely go with is just use my phone. I have an unlimited plan that includes Mexico and Canada.

Like I use to tell Dad..... If he had been a billionaire I wouldn't have had to work for a living. :wink2:

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm looking for any suggestions. ...I will not have cell service in a lot of places....

Does anyone have a suggestion to a more economical solution? Any input will be appreciated.
Consider renting a Satellite Phone for the trip. You can call anyone anywhere anytime, and they can call you, too. SpotTracker isn't a 2-way comm solution so in an emergency, what then? Ham radio??? I don't think so. But this phone might be the ticket for a one-off trip like this. Just google it. They'll ship right to your home, and you return it like that, too.

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Consider renting a Satellite Phone for the trip. You can call anyone anywhere anytime, and they can call you, too. SpotTracker isn't a 2-way comm solution so in an emergency, what then? Ham radio??? I don't think so. But this phone might be the ticket for a one-off trip like this. Just google it. They'll ship right to your home, and you return it like that, too.
Drair, Thanks but I'll probably stick with my cell phone. I have said before that I wish they would make it possible for the satellites to handle all the traffic and bring the price down to do away with cell phones. :grin2:

Good to see you here on the Ohio board. We need more Buckeyes to get involved here.

Reactions: cycledude and Drair

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you are welcome to borrow my spot 3rd gen. it has service on it through september 2019
Thank you very much for the generous offer. :bow: I could not borrow one from someone I didn't even know.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Spotwalla ( tracking site) and Bubbler GPS Pro (phone app).

It shows your location with only a minute or two delay.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php

Ride from a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Phone cannot be set to battery saving mode, as that limits background services, which includes location......I leave mine plugged into a charger, as I also use my phone for music....as such, I drain the battery fairly quickly.

Go to www.spotwalla.com That is where you set up your account, as well as create your ride. That does NOT mean create route....it means set the date/time you want the tracking to stop and start.

You also don't have to pay for Bubbler GPS Pro....unless it has changed, you can downloaded Bubbler GPS for free. Then it's a matter of opening the app, entering the email and pw you used when you set up the account on Spotwalla, and that's it. Turn the app on when you start your trip. You can choose how often you want it to update your location, etc.

DISCLAIMER:

It only uploads when you have cell signal: If you are out in the middle of nowhere, it will store but not upload your location points until you get back into an area where you had service. If you are looking for something satellite based, get ready to pay for it !!

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I'm traveling out of cell phone areas and on longer rides, I run both the SPOT and a ResQLink+ The SPOT does the Spotwalla thing, and the ResQLink is for real emergencies. I've been thinking about the Garmin InReach for the monthly useage options, but heard from a SPOT rep the other day that their new SPOT-X also has monthly options available.

jdg

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have the Garmin in reach Explorer plus and when we were in Canada/Alaska it worked great could text as much as I wanted for the month for 60.00 and people could follow us on there computer and see were we were as a buddy at work said you are in Whitehorse and parked right next to the handicap spot, and your bike is filthy!! We were at Solomon's glacier and he could take a like airplane ride around the whole area and see the Glacier like he was there!! Very happy with unit and then when I got home cancelled the month by month subscription and when summer starts I will start up again with just basic plan for like 15 a month for basic emergency help!! Nice unit!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts