GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In theory the SPOT Personal Tracker is a great idea unfortunately the company offering it leaves a great deal to be desired. In the past I have posted about the many ways they errored with and mismanaged my account so I won't go into that again. In summary, I have cancelled my Spot account on three occasions and took this matter up their chain of command all the way to their International Marketing Manager. Regardless of those efforts, the Spot organization still attempts to bill me and my credit card annually for a service dropped years ago.

If you have an account with Spot, you may wish to enter a false credit card number in their records as that appears to be the only workable solution to stop them from billing you each and every year.

I truly hope that another company enters this field with a similar offering as I would subscribe without hesitation. The current provider of this service, Spot LLC, continues to have some serious problems for those ill-informed enough to trust them with their credit card number.

Oh, and in case you like the idea of their service and wish to chance authorizing a one-time charge for their annual fee, you are out of luck. Spot will only accept charges pre-authorized for repeated annual billing.

Good product idea - bad company to deal with. Be warned my fellow Goldwing riders.

·
Registered
423 Posts
YUP!!! On all accounts. I changed my credit card information last year so that billing won't go through. SPOT is a horribly run company with a good idea and terrible execution.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I have 7 SPOT devices in two groups (all services included except extended product warranty) - no billing problems. I have had the service for just over two years. Have not tried to cancel, have no reason to. Being used world wide (Europe, Middle East and Caribbean) with good performance.

·
Registered
905 Posts
a poster on (I believe) this board recently responded to a thread reguarding Serius (sp) XM and suggested the following to a person who had the same problem with billing as you. Basically he had it .. and wanted it stopped before the auto renew date.
He suggested using a credit card that you buy at Wally World or the like, put enough on it to cover the origonal cost and then discard the card .. bingo, no further "auto-billing" because the account does not exist !

I though it was a GREAT idea !

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I don't think I would post on a public forum that I was doing this. Soounds like committting a reverse fraud to me.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I doubt it is considered "reverse fraud". With the company not being very responsive to their clients...you have to make sure you are protected. Once the original billing charge (paid for with that "Wallyworld" card) is used up...if they want to renew their dealings with you...they can contact you and make other arrangements.

If the account no longer exists...the service is cut off...end of story.

Dennis

·
Registered
396 Posts
The person signing up for the service is responsible for payment, not a credit card company. So no matter what credit card tricks you try, the account still exists under buyer's name, and they will be billed, hounded, etc. Same --it XM does. I try to not buy anything that states automatic billing if you don't jump thru hoops.

....louie

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Unwanted charges

When ever this kind of thing happens I just call Amx and say "this is not a charge I know or agreed to" and they remove it and I never see it again. Amx can do that, I think a lot of bank Credit card operations do not have the balls to do it and will not back you up. Amx been good to me which is why I try to run everything through them. And, you get something back from them for your efforts. Works for me.

A new scam for dirtbag fraudsters is to put through a charge for a very low amount, i.e. 1.43 dollars. Many guys let it go, however if the fraudsters put through 40-50 thousand at a time and only some get rejected it can be a very nice little scam.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Looks like they need it in writing whether you call them or not.
http://faq.findmespot.com/index.php?action=showEntry&data=564

To cancel your Service Plan, you must notify SPOT in writing within thirty (30) days of the end of your Service Plan’s Term. You must email your notice of cancellation to [email protected] and provide your name, your address and the ESN from the SPOT for which you want to cancel service (located in the battery compartment, under the battery of your SPOT). You may call our customer service center at SPOT at 1-866-OK1-SPOT (651-7768) or from outside of North America:+1 (408) 933-4518 to cancel or if you have questions. You still must confirm in writing by sending an e-mail to [email protected].

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have never tried to cancel my SPOT subscription, and have been quite pleased with its performance. Hope when I do try to cancel, I can jump thru the hoops properly.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Maybe lucky, but I've found SPOT fine to deal with. Although I've not tried to cancel my service.

Dealing with XM, however, was a different matter, at least prior to the merger.

I have often wondered if it was company policy or a poorly trained rep that has so frustrated me in the past.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts