GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any reccomendations for an alternative to Formula 33 spray cleaner/polish? I've tried the Honda aerosol spray brand a few times over the years, but never did care for the results. I've used the Formula 33 for many, many moons (and LIKE it), but was wondering if there is a product as good or better for less money and with local availability. Many thanks for your input?

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Detailers

The most of the cheaper products and or Pledge (why not use spray butter) :p are smeary and look bad on dark colors. My advice is stick with what you've found that works. I personally like Eagle One nano detailer or Black Magic spray detailer they're slick and don't smear and streak. T. 8)

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I tried the suggestion of using Pledge one day. I thought it was goofy, but I tried it anyway.

It worked OK, wasn't particularly thrilled with the end result. The real problem was, it attracted every BEE in a 2 mile radius. :eek:4:

Never again. I like Captain Richard's BOM products.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I've tried most of them. I use Plexus all the time now. It has enough washing action as you wipe it off. Adds a plastic film some what like rainX

I copied the following over from this http://www.autogeek.net/plexplasclea.ht ... WAodtxo4hQ

Plexus Plastic Cleaner, Protectant & Polish

Every 13 oz. can of Plexus comes with a Cobra Mango Breeze Microfiber Towel! Get clean, streak-free results with this soft, absorbent microfiber towel.

This plastic polish is used by NASA and the Air Force.

In fact, it's mandated for use on the B1B Stealth Bomber to clean, polish and protect the canopy. That's a $300,000.00 canopy!

This is serious stuff and it's so easy to use. Just spray it on any clear or colored plastic surface and wipe with a clean cloth. Plexus Plastic Cleaner penetrates and lifts even the most difficult stain without damaging the fragile surface of the plastic.

Plexus is anti-static. It repels the dust and dirt normally attracted to plastic. Plexus also leaves an invisible, micro-thin layer of protectant, sealing the porus surface, making it more resistant to dirt, dust and other contaminants.

Regular use will help prevent hazing, yellowing and oxidation which diminishes the plastic's luster, strength and appearance. You'll also love how water beads and slides right off your vehicle when it rains!

Use Plexus on convertible windows, bug guards, window tint films, fiberglass boats & RV's, big screen TV's, LCD computer screens, helmets, goggles and fairings. It will amaze you.

13 oz. - Aerosol.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Zaino

I'm with Toyo.
There was a thread back around June started by Toyo. I ordered the stuff and put it on the bike. The depth of shine is noticeable. Good stuff!

Mike

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
The 303 is good stuff also. It has alot of UV protectant in it also. They actually are different types of products. The Zaino I linked to is more like a spray you use between wax jobs. A quick detalier of you will. It leaves a very smooth surface. It has a consistancy of like water. The Plexus is more like Pledge.
One thing about using a micro fibre towel is once you expose it to any waxy type of material you wont ever be able to use it to dry anything. I have some micro towles I use just for waxing, and then some for drying.

T

·
0 Posts
I thought everyone was saying Rejex is the way to go.
Apply it good for 3 months and just use water to keep clean between aplications.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've gone to RejeX and use a wet micro fiber cloth to wipe the dirt off and a dry micro fiber cloth to buff it dry. No wax, no soap, just water. The wet micro fiber cloth should be rinsed regularly so that you don't scratch the surface with the dirt. Great shine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am using S100 Detail and Wax between full wax jobs. Seems to work good. Sprays on, removes grime, road dust, tar from exhaust pipes and lower part of bike, leaves nice polish. Always open to someting better. I think I will give Toyo's suggestin a try.

I use the 303 for the "black" plastic - dash, arm rests, etc. It makes the plastic look new and it is not "greasy" like some products.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Toyo said:
Use this stuff. It is great stuff. You spray just a LITTLE on the bike and polish it off. It will leave it slicker than snot. It has ALOT of UV protection which is good for our plastic. You may use it on any part of the bike. Been using thier products for years.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mer ... Code=Zaino
I vote with Toyo here.
But I will add a couple of comments about cleaning/polishing in general.
Mixing brands of products can cause problems.
For example, two common bases are water based and petroleum based.
If you are mixing these, one type for waxing, another type for detailing, good results will be harder to get.
To not get into battles with non-compatible products, I try to stay with one brand.
Zaino is considered one of the premiere finish products in the show vehicle circles.
The best results will come from using the polish bases before applying the Z6 detailer.
If you are trying to get a "show car" look, and haven't been using the right combination of products,
you should consider washing the bike with a nice strong dish washing detergent (Like dawn)
(DON'T LET IT DRY on there without rinsing well).
That will strip away any weird combinations of junk (including silicones) and give you an uncontaminated surface to start from.
For those who don't want to pursue the multi-step Zaino sytem, try Xymoil from the local Wal-Mart and other stores.
It's rated pretty highly also (and isn't too expensive). A good coat of that will make the spray detailers work better and longer.
DC

G

·
0 Posts
Good information Dream Catcher! I didn't know that about different bases. Thanks :yes1:

·
Registered
791 Posts
WingAirSpeed said:
LEMON PLEDGE? ARE WE TALKING ABOUT GOLDWINGS OR DINING ROOM TABLE WINGS? WHY WOULD YOU PUT PLEDGE ON A GOLDWING???
Because it works...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts