GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure someone on this board must have some auto painting experience. I ordered a rattle-can of Color-rite paint to do some touch up work on my Wing and was wondering if it is too hot to apply spray paint in Texas right now. I know it can be too cold, but was not sure if excessive heat is a problem. It is about 105 here today. If it is a problem, I can wait and shoot in the morning when it is in the 80s.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I figure someone on this board must have some auto painting experience. I ordered a rattle-can of Color-rite paint to do some touch up work on my Wing and was wondering if it is too hot to apply spray paint in Texas right now. I know it can be too cold, but was not sure if excessive heat is a problem. It is about 105 here today. If it is a problem, I can wait and shoot in the morning when it is in the 80s.
The can will have instructions on how to apply and at what temp.If the surface temp. is 105 it to hot.

·
Co-Sponsor
444 Posts
I would not do it in direct sunlight, as the paint will dry to fast and not flow at all... Also avoid humidity. I usually keep the booth at about 80 degrees when we spray... about 180 to bake

·
Registered
994 Posts
:agree: Humidity is a big factor too. Is your part of Texas that "dry heat" they're always talking about? If both temp and humidity are "reasonable" they flail away with your rattlecan... Sorry I can't give you exact numbers but I know too high humidity and/or temps will spoil the job. This part of Ohio has been running 85-90+ % humidity everyday. Early morning is about the only time to throw some spray paint... Good Luck!!

You can always take the pieces/parts into the house and use the kitchen table. Just erect a suitable spray booth using SO's best tablecloth and lots of duct tape on the ceiling...:joke:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts