GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a bad idea, but I'm thinking of spraying the inside of my Aluma trailer with truck bed liner. Has anybody tried this? Will the spray on truck bed liner stick to the aluminum? Any other good ideas besides carpeting which I'm aware of?

·
Registered
289 Posts
CJ that would be a good thing to do. But take it to a shop that does truck beds. They can put a much thicker coat on it and I'm pretty sure they would do a much better job. Ha Ha. I know someone that had the front of his jeep done looks great. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hey CJS, you stole my idea LOL.... Let me know how it turns out. I would be interested in pics too.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

CJS,
It's all in the prep. :wink: That's the same paint that I'm usin' to go stealth on my Wing and I found out it 90% prep and 5% spray technique and 5% many small coats to cover any boo-boos. :wink:

Go for it, the spray is at Wally World, approximately $6.00 a can, might take 3-4 cans dependin' on yer patience. 8)

:flg:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
uuuum, very interesting? I would be very interested in how this turns out.

I wonder if you have to use a primer on the aluminum???

C

·
0 Posts
cjs,

I don't think anyone's own individual idea to improve his bike or trailer or car, for that matter, should be thought of in terms of good or bad. What's good for one person may be bad for another.

The initial question I ask myself when deciding to customize or alter something is; "why am I doing this?". I thought about spray liner but rationalized that the stuff was designed to protect the steel (and when textured keeps stuff from sliding around like things do in a bed liner) inside a pick up truck bed. I didn't want to accomplish that inside my Aluma. I wanted to soften the inside, create a more "hospitable" climate for our gear and stuff, be able to take the bottom layer out to clean if necessary, and remove screws, bolts and wires if the need arose. And be able to replace any damaged section if it was required in the future.

My expectations were exceeded with carpet. I even left a camera inside the trailer and after "rolling around" on the carpet during a mountain ride no harm came to it. I was also really glad to see that the methods and materials I used FAR exceeded the carpet I saw in the "Big Boy" trailers during Wings Over the Smokies.

It's all about personal preferences and best of luck in whatever you use inside your Corona Cart!

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
I'd prep the surface to free it of all contaminates, spray the inside with an etching primer then go to a Line-X shop and have them coat it.

Not only would it give you a damn near bullet proof interior but would add exponentially to the structual strength of the unit with very little addition in weight.

After one hour from being shot I could not even scratch the surface of my truck bed by jabbing at it with the sharp end of 1/2 " rebar. And I tried to.

Bradford

C

·
0 Posts
Bradford,

When I was looking at Line-X I called three Line-X dealers in my area. They all quoted me between 9.75 to 10.00/ square foot for the Aluma. That included the primer (I don't have a spray rig) and masking. They said they were considerably less per square foot for a full size pickup (between $440.00 to $510.00). They all suggested etching primer. My regular size Aluma has about 35 square feet including the top which made the estimate around $340.00 for the job.

I have Line-X in three of our pick-ups and love it but it was a little steep (for me) for the Aluma. I saw on the Line-X website there are several dealers in southern Indiana. Are they less expensive there? And thank you for the good info about Line-X.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You might also consider using the spray on bedliner as a bra. I have a unique homebuilt and couldn't find anyone able to make a bra so I had it sprayed. It cost $50 and looks pretty good. They can also color the spray for a few more bucks. I stayed with black since my trailer is white.
I've also seen people who live on dirt roads spray the color match on the rocker panels and lower part of their trucks to help prevent rock chips.
I still can't figure out how to post pics, even with the afore mentioned instructions, so if you really want to see it shoot me an email and I'll send you a picture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts