GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to plan a spring trip, basically want to ride in states I've not ridden in yet, they say colorado is not so good in the spring. How about New Mexico? I am leaving Bedford Pa and will have approx. 4 to 5 days to tour your state. I would really appreciate some input, like earliest possible in the spring, and a sort of catch all I can in that time frame. 500 to 600 miles a day is comfortable for me. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am in Santa Fe.....spring is somewhat unpredictible around here, for example Saturday it was in the 30's and today it is 50. Hard to predict and there is a big differance between northern NM and southern NM.

There are some great roads around northern NM and you will enjoy the rides in the mountains. Weather service is saying we are going to have an early spring and the weather will warm sooner than later. If you are looking for specifc things in NM let me know. my email is [email protected]

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I really enjoy southern NM/AZ. Last trip was in April and it was cool up in higher altitudes. The Gila NF area has some splendid riding and Alpine AZ area and south has some of my favorite roads.

·
Registered
240 Posts
A great road from NM into AZ is Hwy 78 which goes thru the mountains and is great curves, lookouts and just a fun ride.....you can pick it up from Hwy 180 on the NM side....two lane of peg scrapping fun!!!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
JGaherty is right about the unpredictability and big difference between Northern and Southern parts of the state. Southern part of the state, you're good pretty much all year round. Watch the weather as you approach and plan your routes accordingly. Don't miss these:

State Rd 4 through the Jemez mtns. Watch your speed around Jemez springs/Jemez Pueblo - it's too slow and they are out all the time. From La Cueva down to Los Alamos you're clear. Don't forget to check out the Valle Grande, not that you can help it since you ride right through it. and while you're in Los Alamos, check out the Bradbury Science museum - free.

Enchanted circle: Taos - Questa - Red River - Angel Fire - Taos. Don't miss any of it, but especially the AF-Taos and Questa-RR sections.

434 south out of Angel Fire. Fantastic, narrow two lane twisty section.

518 from Taos to Las Vegas. Great sweeper road that runs along the river.

152 from I-25 to Silver City plugs into 180 mentioned earlier.

Don't forget to visit Ruidoso/Cloudcroft.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in Silver City, and yes riding here is pretty much year round, with the ezception of two to four weeks out of the year. I rode a short 250 miles this weekend, mornings cold, but afternoon it was 60 degrees. There is a lot to do in Southern NM, and like others said, it depends on the adventure you want. We as well go to Alpine a lot, and is very beautiful. The black range is AWESOME, and riding last year in a span of 6 months saw 4 bear, one cub I almost hit, and another full groan in front of my bike as I rounded a corner, just looking at me. email with specific adventures you like, and I can narrow it down for you. Indian ruins, woods, vistas, twisties, museums et... The wife and I are headed out to Vegas April 12 for 7 days of adventure as well.
ROB [email protected]

·
Registered
240 Posts
Talk about a weather change,I worked on the bike Saturday (air filter, new ring of fire, converted rear lights) and it was 65...tonight we are suppose to get 4 to 6 inches of snow....Never know what Northern New Mexico will bring this time of year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts