GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question in another post, but it was mixed in with other question.

I am a mildly-to-moderately aggressive rider. I like to tear it up a bit when sight lines and road conditions allow. That being said, I rarely drag a peg. I use my bike for cruising two lane state and county 55 mph highways. I prefer ride quality over handling, but more 60-40 than 80-20 or 90-10. I am 6'1", 230 lbs, probably 245 with all my gear. I ride one-up 99% of the time.

I am looking at getting heavier duty fork springs or springs and monotubes. The difference is $300. If springs are enough to meet my needs, then I will pocket that $300 and spend it on a trip next summer instead. I am wondering if those who have had the springs, or the monotubes, or even better, have had each separately can chime in. Please give me some guidance!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
After two sets of Monotubes failed, I went back to Traxxion springs.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I started out with the springs and then to the monotubes. If they ever fail, I will replace them with another set. I haven't blown out a left fork seal since making the upgrade to the monotubes.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
MonoTubes no question. Had them on two Wings, no failures that I am aware of, sold the first Wing, still doing great so far.

Reactions: Bloodbought1

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
I've had both. I would spent the money on monotubes which come with springs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yes monotubes. I have no spacers in mine and i am about the same weight. I think they recommend spacers according to your weight, but you might have to play with that one.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Another vote for the monotubes. I've had them on two different wings with no issues. 80k on one and about 35k so far on my 06.

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
Had Monotubes that failed at about 75,000 miles so sent them back for free replacement which took about 6 weeks, decided I didn’t want to mess with that outfit again so I sold the free set, I’m happy with the stock setup .

·
Registered
43 Posts
What is causing the monotube failures?
That was gonna be my question...I have heard mostly praise for the monotubes, for what they are, but this is the first time I have heard negative comments for anything other than ride quality versus Traxxion. They were what I was going to look into when I decided to do front end work, so I am very interested in what caused the failures and how common they are.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I first had only the springs, then I "upgraded" to monotubes, they failed at about 50K miles ( got way too stiff). Installed warranty monotubes which worked well until I sold the bike. Today I'm thinking I'll put just the springs in my '09 with 15 weight fluid.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies. I ordered the Traxxion springs only. I will see how it goes with the forks rebuilt and new springs, no anti-dive. Right now, it is stock with no anti-dive - soft and mushy and not safe for emergency braking.

Reactions: 1800wannabee

·
Registered
280 Posts
What is causing the monotube failures?
My first set of monotubes failed as well. Locked up solid. My understanding is that the first generation of monotubes were prone to failure, but subsequent ones seem OK. Progressive replaced them. I've had my replacement set in for 5 or 6 years now with no issue. I like them, but I have never tried upgraded springs alone, so cannot compare. They're certainly a big upgrade from stock, IMHO.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Monotubes - 2 GL1800's now -- No issues
Best Bang for the Buck - Unless you are a really aggressive rider with a high skill level you will be happy
If you are the BEST rider you have ever met then maybe Traxxion should be your choice -
But most riders I have seen on Goldwings can't use the difference in performance between the two anyway

1 - 17 of 17 Posts