GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. mrwelaxn here this not a c/t statement this time but i think it's also important to all use darksiders whether single dark (thats light brown) or double dark (pitch black).So here goes.
I know many of you already know this but there are a lot that don't so i want to pass it on. Just got through in stalling Traxxion springs in my frt forks. Not a hard job but time consuming, and i am amassed at how much better the bike rides and handles. Now wished i hadn't waited so long to do this. Traxxion send the ones i needed for us riding two up and for us also pulling a camper. The harsness that used to come up through the handle bars was almost gone, very little . It absorbed the bumps and potholes so well. if i were to get a new bike tomarrow i know i would pull it down and install the spings right away. That was one of the best $125.00 plus oil i think i have ever spent on the bike.:thumbup:
If you haven't done this and are on the stock forks it is something i would be thinking about doing.
Spring is around the corner and everyone is getting started riding again for the year ,so eveyone be carefull and ride safe.
mrwelaxn

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be great,but riding season is upon us now. So it will give me something to do next winter.;)
mrwelaxn

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I did the Traxxion(springs only) and that, along with a Kumho/ Sport Demon have really inproved the ride.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Saturday I took a ride to Santa Ana, CA and had JBJ Cycles do the Traxxion trifecta on our bike.....AK20 forks, Rear Shock and All Balls tapered steering head bearings. I had switched to a CT about a month prior. All I can say is that I would be hard-pressed to improve on the ride. The bike is now totally predictable...........hard twisties, low speed, etc.. Rosie noticed the difference immediately......the CT had removed the harshness in the ride for the pillion, and now there is no more teeth rattling thumps when the shock used to bottom out, and it carves turns like a sport bike, with no more wandering off line in the middle of a turn.

JBJ is a class-act. Exceptionally friendly, willing to answer all questions, and truly expert in doing the Traxxion. It took John about 4 hours to do the conversion.....had I tried it, I would still be struggling.

CT plus major suspension upgrade............priceless!

-tom

·
Registered
374 Posts
I installed Progressives, the Kumho, and the Sport Demon at the same time and then we left on a 750 mile run over the weekend. I could certainly tell a major difference in the ride.

It just keeps on getting better.:lol:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I won't get into a brand war with you,But I found the same difference when I installed Progressive springs on my bike..

I now have progressive springs in the forks and the full progressive shock/spring combo on the rear..
I have a friend that weighs the same as I and he has the full Traxxion set up..
He like his and I like mine.
We both agree that there is a slight difference,Not the "Dramatic" difference that some would have you believe,and that is from a guy who likes his Traxxion too..

Fact is the stock springs are to soft to hold up the bike from bottoming out.Bottoming out a few times is the main reason why I changed fork springs.
The problem with the rear is not the shock!! It's the spring!
If you could buy a 1000-1100 pound spring,you'd never feel the need to buy anything else,And that is from this guy who put one part at a time on his bike to evaluate it on it's own merits!!

When I put the progressive spring on my stock shock.It went from to soft to to firm for my 220# azz and 150# passenger..
It did absorb bumps way better the the stock set up.

What made me try the Progressive shock was the deal I managed to buy it at from another member who never installed it..

Now I not only have a smoother ride but I can play with it's rebound dampening on the fly.(center stand and the supplied tool).But quite frankly,that isn't necessary once you find your sweet spot ,and leave it there.
The other brand is a "That's it",although they ask what you weigh to set it up "hopefully getting it right" for your arse,and most importantly your SO??

BTW:
The stock spring is only rated at 900 pounds,and can't take much more than the bike,never mind the size of the rider/passengers that we see on these bikes.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Did the triaxxon springs only change, and do notice beside the better feel of the road, a harmonic frame bounce when rear shock pressure is lowered. This is on roads with the concreate break for the harmonic action. Happy over stock, yes! Keeping the pressure at about #14-18 really dampens out the concreate road harmonic. My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya Rocky brands don't always mean that much. But the difference over the stock setup is a great improvement, from either one. I think that next winter i'm going to do the rear shock. I like doing things in small steps if possable just to see how each one changes things.
mrwelaxn

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The wing is going into D & D in Tempe next week for fork rebuild and new progressive springs.....interested to see how the ride/handling is effected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts