GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I know I've seen this conversation on here before but I can't remember the answer. I'm getting ready to get the wing out, new tire, plugs and oil etc. Is it ok to use synthetic oil in the wing or not? I just want to check with the experts before I do anything.

WM

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answer.

Stupid question, what's the energy conserving oil do??

·
Registered
213 Posts
Crush Washer

It is only permissable to use synethics in your Gold Wing if you use the speacial Synethic Crush Washer. :bow:

Bob

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Thanks for the answer.

Stupid question, what's the energy conserving oil do??
It has friction reducing additive, usually Moly. makes the clutch slip.

·
Registered
194 Posts
So, WM, what brand tire are you putting on...? Might as well get that going too while we're at it...

:shock: :eek:4: :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
As long as it is not energy conserving.

A lot of folks use Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5w40 in the blue jug.

Someone said you can get it at Autozone for $11/gal.
I seriously doubt you will get the Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 (Blue Jug) at Auto Zone for $11.00 a gallon. Wal-Mart and Pep Boys sell it for $19.00 per gallon.

You might get the Shell Rotella "non-synthetic" (white jug) for $11.00 a gallon.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I seriously doubt you will get the Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 (Blue Jug) at Auto Zone for $11.00 a gallon. Wal-Mart and Pep Boys sell it for $19.00 per gallon.

You might get the Shell Rotella "non-synthetic" (white jug) for $11.00 a gallon.
:agree:
I was just at Wally World tonight and the Dino 15W-40 is $10.50 / gal (white jug) and the Synth 5W-40 is $19.00 / gal (blue jug).

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm far from an expert but I've been using synthetic Shell Rotella 5W40 since I reached 1000 miles and have had great results. I even sent in a sample to Blackstone and had the oil analyzed. They reported that it was wearing well.

Hope that helps.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wtaelewis,

I'm not sure I want to mention that I'm putting a Dunlop on. Never know what that'd lead to:)

I will ask why people are running 5w40? Is it just because they live in a very hot area or what?

·
Registered
194 Posts
wtaelewis,

I'm not sure I want to mention that I'm putting a Dunlop on. Never know what that'd lead to:)

I will ask why people are running 5w40? Is it just because they live in a very hot area or what?
:clap2: :bow:
I applaud you for your bravery in mentioning the "D"-word. An E3?

Shell Rotella T Synthetic only comes in 5W-40 so that's what people run. Those that do seem happy with it. I haven't tried it yet, I'm still working on my first go-round with the Dino version...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ha! Yep, E3. Had a flat last year on a trip and all I could get was a dunlop so I thought I may as well run a set. I had Bridgestones on and in the rain I may as well have been running slicks. Man those thing sucked on wet roads!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Honestly, I haven't read much positive info about the E3's in the rain either, but we'll see. I'm getting mine mounted on Tuesday of next week, so I'm hoping for the best.

Cheers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts