GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody say that the CanAm Spyder is as much, or more fun than a wing? Guys that have the Spyder say they are awesome. Even Lamont has made the swtich.

I've been thinking.

JLK

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
I checked them out quite seriously, but decided to grab a low miles wing with an insta-trike kit. I'm into my wing and trike kit for less than half what a base Spyder costs.

When I am able to get back to 2 wheels, I can just sell the trike kit.

Everyones situation and needs are different.

I did like some features of the Spyder, and I didnt like some other things.

·
Registered
19,378 Posts
for a trike--get the Spyder and pocket the extra $$$$

·
Registered
702 Posts
I happen also to be looking seriously at the '12 RT-S Ltd as it makes sense for me.

AG GL

·
Registered
318 Posts
How well does a 1000 cc V twin haul a 900+ lbs machine, riding 2 up?

I've had a test ride but they wouldn't let us take it on the highway to really try it out.

·
Registered
922 Posts

I've had a test ride but they wouldn't let us take it on the highway to really try it out.

Power 106 hp (79 kW @ 8500 RPM) Torque 77 lb.-ft. (104.3 Nm @ 6250 RPM) Dry weight 699 lb. (317 kg) - add more for the trailer

It should run ok.
At least you would have a warranty which is a big deal for me.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Poor mileage(30MPG), 6 gal. tank, not enough motor for two-up and a trailer. I think they are on the right track but need some improvements. I may be wrong and if so I apologize but I imagine both Lamont and Fred Rau are paid advocates for CanAm.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Having ridden one, it is my opinion that they are not as much fun as either a Wing or a Miata (what's one more wheel if you're thinking of three?). The Wing powers on well and leans, the Spyder doesn't. The Miata carves thru curves with laser precision, has heat/air/Bose stereo, etc, the Spyder doesn't.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Hey Jan! I rode one last week for the first time. Neat!
Comfy, kinda pepy,sort of! Nah, it was lacking in get up and go. If they dropped a 1500cc+ motor in there I think there may be a lot more people switch over, especially if you bought the trailer combo also. Very nice looking unit though. The one I tried out was the automatic.. still have to shift, but it is a paddle shift like an F1 race care. Paddle up and paddle down.

·
Registered
724 Posts
a friend of mine boight one last week and they have really looked at what the baby boomers are looking for and designed a machine. They have an electric windshield, Automatic, ABS brakes traction control, CB is avalible (they put one on) and with that you get the intercom, You install the trailer hitch you acually get a tow capability in the system like you have on your car, power steering ect.
I am not bashing the Goldwing, I still have mine and wouldn't ride anything else but BRP has really done thier homework and I have heard so many people tell me that the automatic is the main reason they are changing, if Honda doesn't take a strong look at what is going on with this model the future of thier riding market will be riding the snowmobiles on the road.

just my take on this.:coffee1:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Having ridden one, it is my opinion that they are not as much fun as either a Wing or a Miata (what's one more wheel if you're thinking of three?). The Wing powers on well and leans, the Spyder doesn't. The Miata carves thru curves with laser precision, has heat/air/Bose stereo, etc, the Spyder doesn't.
Interesting...

My brother did the same thing. He was looking at a spyder for his wife and they got a miata.

On a side note, I can't verify this, but a number of people I have talked to say the spyder has a problem with flipping and throwing people off if driven aggressively in curves.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Poor mileage(30MPG), 6 gal. tank, not enough motor for two-up and a trailer. I think they are on the right track but need some improvements. I may be wrong and if so I apologize but I imagine both Lamont and Fred Rau are paid advocates for CanAm.
Given Lamont's history, he is probably looking at he spyder as a platform to build on.

If he hasn't marketed a supercharger for it yet, he's probably finalizing the paperwork for the patent.

G

·

They do OK but it is a busy motor and runs rather high rpm. As far as fun? It is probably more fun than a standard 2 wheel bike. You can go anywhere on any kind of road surface and corning requires a sporty stance so there is a slightly different skill set required.
I have two RT's (Stealth11 & Valk3) and just love them. When the time comes the wing will go but the RT will stay.

Personally as far as the spyder I would like to see a better motor on the tour units. Something other than the V twin. A V4 like the ST1300 engine would be fun and more reasonable.

Another plus is the use of three car tires so life expectancy of the tires is in the 40k range and cheap to replace. Can Am claims the tires are special but they are just standard radial car tires.

Price used to be quite reasonable (15k) when the first came out but now they are hedging up to crazy at 20k - 28K.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a 2008 Wing, bought new and have 63K on it. My wife has a 2011 Can-Am Spyder RT (tour version). I ride hers occasionally and she rode a Silverwing for a couple of years prior to that... we're both familiar with 2-wheel and 3-wheel traveling. While my knees hold out, I'll stick with the Wing... it has more torque and is just a LOT of fun single and 2-up. We took a 3000 mile vacation this past July on both bikes and I can tell you that the Spyder didn't seem to have any problem keeping up. My wife LOVES riding the Spyder (yeah, it is fun) and goes tearing around corners... takes full advantage of the anti-skid and vertical stability systems on it. The BIG difference that you will notice is that leaning and counter-steering are in the past... your first test ride will have you weaving and over-correcting down a straight road. Wait 2 weeks and take a second test ride and it will be much better. The downside on the Spyder is the poor mileage... about 32, and the tank is only 6.6 gallon. There have been a lot of recalls on the Spyder (sport and RT) for power steering system, fuel injection, parking brake and minor systems. EVERYTHING on the Spyder runs thru a "CAN buss" back to a central processor and must be checked with a PC running proprietary software and reset with that computer. Overall performance is completely dependent on the reliability of the software running on the bike. We have had it in to the dealer 3 times for service directly related to this software... and handed them a 2 page typed letter of problems that cropped up on the vacation trip we took to New Mexico and Colorado in July. It's been at the dealer for 3 weeks and we just got the call to pick it up... hope its fixed. The Goldwing is absolutely solid and reliable and got us thru the trip when the Spyder failed. Overall the concept on the Spyder is sound, but the actual product has "bugs". At this time, I wouldn't consider it as a replacement for the Wing... I may change my mind if the bugs get worked out of my wife's Spyder.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Can anybody say that the CanAm Spyder is as much, or more fun than a wing? Guys that have the Spyder say they are awesome. Even Lamont has made the swtich.

I've been thinking.

JLK
Daughter has one and I hate driving it. Not a motorcycle. Especially when taking corners your body is pushed to the outside via centrifigal force. Also, on cantered and rough roads you really need to pay attention. She bought one of the first ones. She loves it. She used to have a mc but dropped it several times. So she went to the spyder. Not for me....

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you like pothole buy one, with those 3 wheels you cant miss one. Shady reliability, busy engine and somewhat weak engine, ride and handling almost similar to a skidoo . I've tried one sports and one touring and its absolutly not for me, its certainly not a bike, and not a car, its a snowmobile wannebee ;-))

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Interesting...

My brother did the same thing. He was looking at a spyder for his wife and they got a miata.

On a side note, I can't verify this, but a number of people I have talked to say the spyder has a problem with flipping and throwing people off if driven aggressively in curves.
Hmmm, I found the Spyder I drove to be nervous and twitchy in curves. Also, give our congrats to your brother and his wife on their new fun machine. LOL, I hope she lets him drive it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I looked at the spyder's October 2010 and at that time the salesman told me I could buy one --but could not take it home because they had a recall on the steering box....I had been to several Spyder shops looking and after that I said NO WAY...I really liked the storage on the spyder and they look awesome but I chose a 1800 05 goldwing trike with the champion kit...LOVE MY WING !!!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
This is some good information and very timely for me. I just visited the local dealership yesterday. Looked at the RT, well it was a customers in for service. Dealer did not have any 2011 models and said they were all gone. He is waiting for the 2012 models to be delivered. Sales must be good. Said he hoped to have a demo to test ride in a couple of weeks.

At any rate, I have been considering trikeing my 2006 and was looking at an alternative...It is all about the same $$$$...but then there is the Miata thing...so I might now take a look at that...sounds good...

Thanks for all the information!!!!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts